Re: [S-R] Ancestry question/village info

  • James Woods
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 24, 2001
      I noticed today Ancestry.com is offering a free 14 day trial period.

      J. Michutka wrote:

      > Does anyone know if Ancestry.com will be opening up all their
      > databases at
      > the end of the year, as they've done in the past? There's no info
      > about it
      > on the Ancestry site; I thought maybe some of you who visit the site
      > frequently or have paid memberships might know......
      >
      > My holiday gift: I have all 3 volumes of Vlastivedny Obci na Slovensku
      > (and with any luck, I spelled it all correctly), the wonderful
      > encyclopedia of Slovakia with basic info on every little village (and
      > city) in the country. I will xerox your village entry and mail it to you
      > if you are interested. But please know the correct Slovak name of your
      > village(s)--"it's something like Potraviny" or "the hungarian name was
      > Nagy
      > Velcro" means you need to pin it down a little better so that I can just
      > turn to the exact page and xerox it. (I can also try scanning entries
      > and
      > emailing them as attachments, but the print is really tiny--but I'd be
      > willing to give it a try.) Please note that the book is in SLOVAK, and I
      > can NOT translate for you (but I wish I could!).
      >
      > PS There was someone on our tour in 2000 who really did get her village
      > name confused with "Potraviny"; every time we entered a village and saw a
      > "potraviny" sign on a building, we'd tease her, "oh, look, we're in
      > Potraviny again!" Potraviny is ubiquitous, being a sort of small grocery
      > store........
      >
      > Happy holidays,
      > Julie Michutka (Micutkova')
      > jmm@...
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212196.1774498.3293437.1695382/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=894754/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N2663.yahoo/B40314.14;sz=300x250;ord=1008781475?>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Dolores Glade
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 13, 2002
        --- James Woods <ppbjno1@...> wrote:
        > I noticed today Ancestry.com is offering a free 14
        > day trial period.
        >
        > J. Michutka wrote:
        >
        > > Does anyone know if Ancestry.com will be opening
        > up all their
        > > databases at
        > > the end of the year, as they've done in the past?
        > There's no info
        > > about it
        > > on the Ancestry site; I thought maybe some of you
        > who visit the site
        > > frequently or have paid memberships might
        > know......
        > >
        > > My holiday gift: I have all 3 volumes of
        > Vlastivedny Obci na Slovensku
        > > (and with any luck, I spelled it all correctly),
        > the wonderful
        > > encyclopedia of Slovakia with basic info on every
        > little village (and
        > > city) in the country. I will xerox your village
        > entry and mail it to you
        > > if you are interested. But please know the
        > correct Slovak name of your
        > > village(s)--"it's something like Potraviny" or
        > "the hungarian name was
        > > Nagy
        > > Velcro" means you need to pin it down a little
        > better so that I can just
        > > turn to the exact page and xerox it. (I can also
        > try scanning entries
        > > and
        > > emailing them as attachments, but the print is
        > really tiny--but I'd be
        > > willing to give it a try.) Please note that the
        > book is in SLOVAK, and I
        > > can NOT translate for you (but I wish I could!).
        > >
        > > PS There was someone on our tour in 2000 who
        > really did get her village
        > > name confused with "Potraviny"; every time we
        > entered a village and saw a
        > > "potraviny" sign on a building, we'd tease her,
        > "oh, look, we're in
        > > Potraviny again!" Potraviny is ubiquitous, being
        > a sort of small grocery
        > > store........
        > >
        > > Happy holidays,
        > > Julie Michutka (Micutkova')
        > > jmm@...
        > >
        > >Jim-

        I recently found out that my paternal grandmother
        was from Sobanya, Hungary (probably now Slovakia).
        Could you help me pinpoint where that could be. It
        should be a town in or near Kosice. Many thanks for
        any help you can give.

        Dee
        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212196.1774498.3293437.1695382/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=894754/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N2663.yahoo/B40314.14;sz=300x250;ord=1008781475?>

        > Terms of Service

        > removed]

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • John
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 13, 2002
          At 03:49 PM 2/13/02 -0800, you wrote:
          > I recently found out that my paternal grandmother
          >was from Sobanya, Hungary (probably now Slovakia).
          >Could you help me pinpoint where that could be. It
          >should be a town in or near Kosice. Many thanks for
          >any help you can give.
          >
          > Dee

          It is located in the southeast area of Presov in eastern Slovakia. It may
          be considered a suburb of Presov it is so close.

          http://www.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.isa?jg~jgsys~shtetl

          SOLNA BANA, Slovakia, 198.9 miles ENE of Bratislava

          John
        • John
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 13, 2002
            At 03:49 PM 2/13/02 -0800, you wrote:
            > I recently found out that my paternal grandmother
            >was from Sobanya, Hungary (probably now Slovakia).
            >Could you help me pinpoint where that could be. It
            >should be a town in or near Kosice. Many thanks for
            >any help you can give.
            >
            > Dee

            I thought I'd clarify my first post. The link I posted didn't work but if
            you go to:

            http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm and type in Solna Bana
            and select Slovakia it will plot those coordinates.

            Solna Ban~a was known as Sobanya from 1873 to 1913, Ban~a in 1920 and Solna
            Ban~a 1927-1960.
            It is now a part of Presov.

            John
          • frankly1us
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 14, 2002
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
              > At 03:49 PM 2/13/02 -0800, you wrote:
              > > I recently found out that my paternal grandmother
              > >was from Sobanya, Hungary (probably now Slovakia).
              > >Could you help me pinpoint where that could be. It
              > >should be a town in or near Kosice. Many thanks for
              > >any help you can give.
              > >
              > > Dee
              >
              > It is located in the southeast area of Presov in eastern Slovakia. It ma=
              > be considered a suburb of Presov it is so close.
              >
              > http://www.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.isa?jg~jgsys~shtetl
              >
              > SOLNA BANA, Slovakia, 198.9 miles ENE of Bratislava
              >
              > John
              Sóbanya and Sol'ná Ban^a mean 'salt mine' in their respective languages.

              The LDS-Mormons filmed the Greek Catholic parish registers (1763-1895)
              for Sol'ná Ban^a.
              Listed under Ruská Nová Ves (Presov), Slovakia; formerly Soósujfalu,
              Sáros megye, Hungary.
              Text in Latin and Hungarian.

              The LDS-Mormons filmed the Roman Catholic parish registers (1720-1895)
              for Sol'ná Ban^a.
              Listed under Solivar, Slovakia; formerly Német-Soóvar, Sáros megye, Hungary=
              .
              Text in Latin and Hungarian.
            • Dolores Glade
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 14, 2002