Re: [S-R] Reading of a name

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Fran M Roen <artbyfran@j...> wrote:
      > Can any one tell me how the name Philomena (Kramer) would be spelled in
      > old script?
      >
      > On her death certificate it said some thing like: Filelima (Can't
      > reading the hand writing.)
      > says she was born in Germany and her father was Philip Dick
      > Thanks, take care
      > Fran
      >
      > P.S. Just noticed that is was signed by her husband as informant and his
      > name being Yosef Kramer. When looking for his recordeds, does any one
      > know if I should be looking for Joseph, Josef or Yosef or do I look for
      > all three?

      FILOMENA (f) Italian, Spanish and Portuguese form of PHILOMENA.
      PHILOMENA (f) "friend of strength" from Greek philos "friend"
      and menos "strength".
      This was the name of a 3rd-century Italian saint.

      Parents sometimes named their children using classical names
      or names of saints.
      Expect Philomena was a feminine version for Philip.

      YOSEF (m) Original Hebrew form of JOSEPH

      JOSEPH
      JOSEF, JOZEF (Czech)
      JOSEF (German)
      JOZSEF (Magyar)