Reading a name on Ellis Island Manifest

  • tskvarenina
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2001
      Hi,

      I've placed a file, LORSA.JPG in the files section. I need help
      identifying the name of passenger #19 on the list.

      The Ellis Island site has her name as Lorsa Skvarenina; however,
      comparing the handwriting to passengers 3, 5, and 6 I believe the
      first letter is "I". Again for comparison, passenger 26 has a first
      name starting with "L" which is quite different.

      So my question is can anyone tell me what her name is and an English
      equivalent. I've tried searching through the "Foreign Versions of
      English Names" file by Kankula without success. Lorsa didn't work and
      several other variations didn't either. Either I can't read what is
      there or her name isn't in the listing of equivalents.

      Thanks and Merry Christmas to all,

      Tim Skvarenina
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 21, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "tskvarenina" <tskvarenina@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I've placed a file, LORSA.JPG in the files section. I need help
        > identifying the name of passenger #19 on the list.
        >
        > The Ellis Island site has her name as Lorsa Skvarenina; however,
        > comparing the handwriting to passengers 3, 5, and 6 I believe the
        > first letter is "I". Again for comparison, passenger 26 has a first
        > name starting with "L" which is quite different.
        >
        > So my question is can anyone tell me what her name is and an English
        > equivalent. I've tried searching through the "Foreign Versions of
        > English Names" file by Kankula without success. Lorsa didn't work and
        > several other variations didn't either. Either I can't read what is
        > there or her name isn't in the listing of equivalents.
        >
        > Thanks and Merry Christmas to all,

        No.
        Looks to me like Józsa, which is a Hungarian for given name
        Josephine.

        Look at the given name Jan.

        Nagybossány , Hungary was formerly located in Nyitra megye.
        Now Vel'ké Bos^any, Slovakia.
        R.C. parish church records (1691-1899) exist for Vel'ké Bos^any.
        Again because it was Nitra can't locate the LDS film numbers ?
      • tskvarenina
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 21, 2001
          Frank and Joe,

          Thanks very much. Jozsa makes much more sense. I've removed the file
          so as not to take up space that others can use.

          Tim

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)" <JArmata@g...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Tim! I think it's Jozsa, since I and J are often the same letter
          in old
          > script. Compare #6 Itzek for the "z". Jozsa is Hungarian for
          Josephine.