Re: [S-R] Re: [Admin]Holiday reminders

  • BobHORGOS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2001
      In a message dated 12/19/01 2:23:02 PM, diggingupthedead@... writes:

      << It would seem that soemone is a gloomy gus. Why not let us get into
      the spirit of the holidays while working on our familytrees?

      Happy Holidays Everyone!

      Maura has made it very clear that S-R is a genealogy site and not a social
      gathering, and there are many of us who agree with and support her position.
      There are multiple (maybe thousands) of Web Sites that give anyone the
      opportunity to "get into the spirit of the Holidays." If any subscriber to
      S-R cannot locate any, let me know and I will try to direct you to them. I
      suggest that we keep S-R directed to its primary purpose, i.e. genealogy for
      Slovaks and SlovakiaA.
    • diggingupthedead
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2001
        I never said anything about social gatherings. All I mentioned was
        getting into the holiday spirit.
        Can't people share stories, poems, or traditions dealing with our
        Slovak roots? Traditions deal with our culture, do they not? Learning
        about our culture gives up the knowledge of passing on the ways of
        our ancestors so they are not lost.
        I can personally say that with the death of my grandparents when I
        was young, traditions of our culture went with them since no one else
        paid much attention to them and now I lost in the old ways which I
        wish to preserve. Christmas to me is full of traditions that are lost.

        Morgan

        writes:

        > << It would seem that soemone is a gloomy gus. Why not let us get
        into
        > the spirit of the holidays while working on our familytrees?
        >
        > Happy Holidays Everyone!
        > >>

        > Maura has made it very clear that S-R is a genealogy site and not a
        social
        > gathering, and there are many of us who agree with and support her
        position.
        > There are multiple (maybe thousands) of Web Sites that give anyone
        the
        > opportunity to "get into the spirit of the Holidays." If any
        subscriber to
        > S-R cannot locate any, let me know and I will try to direct you to
        them. I
        > suggest that we keep S-R directed to its primary purpose, i.e.
        genealogy for
        > Slovaks and SlovakiaA.
      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2001
          At 08:43 AM 12/20/01 +0000, you wrote:
          > I never said anything about social gatherings. All I mentioned was
          >getting into the holiday spirit.
          > Can't people share stories, poems, or traditions dealing with our
          >Slovak roots? Traditions deal with our culture, do they not? Learning
          >about our culture gives up the knowledge of passing on the ways of
          >our ancestors so they are not lost.

          That's exactly what the Slovak World listserv does. To subscribe, I think
          you send an email to "listproc@..." with the following command in the
          body of your e-mail message: subscribe SLOVAK-WORLD

          It's a good group; this group (Slovak Roots) focuses on Slovak genealogy,
          that group (Slovak World) "focuses" on everything else Slovak (and includes
          genealogy).

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
        • Ron Matviyak
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 20, 2001
            Maura runs a pretty good and popular list and everyone is happy with the
            subject restrictions. Take a shortcut and enjoy this list for Geneology,
            and join SLovak-World for your general discussion needs. Here are the
            instructions.

            If you ever want to subscribe to Slovak-World, you
            can send mail to "listproc@..." with the following command in the
            body of your e-mail message:

            subscribe SLOVAK-WORLD
            firstname last name
            _ _ _
            Welcome to the SLOVAK-WORLD mailing list !
            Your subscription to the SLOVAK-WORLD list has been accepted.
            Please save this message for future reference, especially if you
            are not familiar with LISTPROC. This might look like a waste of disk
            space now, but in 6 months you will be glad you saved this information
            when you realize you cannot remember what the lists are that you
            subscribed to, or what the command is to leave the list in order to avoid
            filling up your mailbox while you are on vacations.

            1.If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you
            can send mail to "listproc@..." with the following command in the
            body of your e-mail message:

            unsubscribe SLOVAK-WORLD

            > I never said anything about social gatherings. All I mentioned was
            > getting into the holiday spirit.
            > Can't people share stories, poems, or traditions dealing with our
            > Slovak roots? Traditions deal with our culture, do they not? Learning
            > about our culture gives up the knowledge of passing on the ways of
            > our ancestors so they are not lost.
            > I can personally say that with the death of my grandparents when I
            > was young, traditions of our culture went with them since no one else
            > paid much attention to them and now I lost in the old ways which I
            > wish to preserve. Christmas to me is full of traditions that are lost.
            >
            > Morgan
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., BobHORGOS@a... wrote:
            > >
            > > In a message dated 12/19/01 2:23:02 PM, diggingupthedead@y...
            > writes:
            > >
            > > << It would seem that soemone is a gloomy gus. Why not let us get
            > into
            > > the spirit of the holidays while working on our familytrees?
            > >
            > > Happy Holidays Everyone!
            > > >>

            > > Maura has made it very clear that S-R is a genealogy site and not a
            > social
            > > gathering, and there are many of us who agree with and support her
            > position.
            > > There are multiple (maybe thousands) of Web Sites that give anyone
            > the
            > > opportunity to "get into the spirit of the Holidays." If any
            > subscriber to
            > > S-R cannot locate any, let me know and I will try to direct you to
            > them. I
            > > suggest that we keep S-R directed to its primary purpose, i.e.
            > genealogy for
            > > Slovaks and SlovakiaA.

          • Jerry Kuhaida
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 10, 2002
              Ron:

              I have been trying to subscribe to Slovak World since I received this in
              December. All I get is a bounce-back with error condition. Even my help
              request to listadm
              just came back.

              Any suggestions?

              Thanks,

              Jerry Kuhaida
              > Maura runs a pretty good and popular list and everyone is happy with the
              > subject restrictions. Take a shortcut and enjoy this list for Geneology,
              > and join SLovak-World for your general discussion needs. Here are the
              > instructions.
              >
              > If you ever want to subscribe to Slovak-World, you
              > can send mail to "listproc@..." with the following command in the
              > body of your e-mail message:
              >
              > subscribe SLOVAK-WORLD
              > firstname last name
              > _ _ _
              > Welcome to the SLOVAK-WORLD mailing list !
              > Your subscription to the SLOVAK-WORLD list has been accepted.
              > Please save this message for future reference, especially if you
              > are not familiar with LISTPROC. This might look like a waste of disk
              > space now, but in 6 months you will be glad you saved this information
              > when you realize you cannot remember what the lists are that you
              > subscribed to, or what the command is to leave the list in order to
              avoid
              > filling up your mailbox while you are on vacations.
              >
              > 1.If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you
              > can send mail to "listproc@..." with the following command in the
              > body of your e-mail message:
              >
              > unsubscribe SLOVAK-WORLD

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Dr. Joe Quashnock
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 10, 2002
                If you are using these addresses they are correct:

                slovak-world@...

                listadm@...

                listproc@...

                Use this address to subscribe:

                listproc@...

                and only use the single word:

                subscribe

                in the message body, don't explain your problems etc. just send the word.

                The list is not a monitored list, so there is "an anything goes" approach, it
                does tend to self regulate and there aren't any list owner messages, although,
                I am surprised that you received no response from the admin address. They
                usually respond within a day.

                Dr. "Q"

              • John
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 10, 2002
                  At 09:22 PM 2/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Ron:
                  >
                  >I have been trying to subscribe to Slovak World since I received this in
                  >December. All I get is a bounce-back with error condition. Even my help
                  >request to listadm
                  >just came back.
                  >
                  >Any suggestions?
                  >
                  >Thanks,

                  It might be a function of your ISP. I had @... (last) and other ISPs
                  and had no problems. I recently switched to @... and I haven't been
                  able to get through to listproc@... but I still get my E-mail. You
                  might try:

                  Please leave the subject line blank and type:

                  SUBSCRIBE SLOVAK-WORLD [your firstname] [your lastname]

                  Problems:? For problems, contact Miroslav Gecovic or Ivan Pobis at there
                  eMail addresses:

                  gecovic@... pobis@...

                  Don't forget the hyphen in Sloval-World. When I first subscribed about 4
                  years ago I did and until I added the hyphen, I couldn't subscribe

                  John