Re: Struggling to Locate a Hungarian Address

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "ppbjno1" <ppbjno1@e...> wrote:
      > Hello All,
      >
      > My name is Jim Woods of Newark, Delaware.
      >
      > I am searching for the origns of my maternal grandparents who were
      > both born in Hungary in 1881 and immigrated to America ca. 1900.
      > Joseph Koleszar is supposedly from Borsod-Abauj-Torna County or
      > Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen County. My sources claim these places are in
      > Hungary today; however, I cannot locate either on a map. There is a
      > post in another site claiming Torna is in Slovakia. Can you help me
      > with the location?
      >
      > Jim

      With the establishment of the dual Austro-Hungarian Monarchy in 1876,
      Hungary was divided into 76 megye or counties.
      Austria consisted of 17 provinces.

      With the signing of the WW I peace treaty in 1920, Hungary lost two-thirds =

      of its former territory to new countries like Czechoslovakia and
      Yugoslavia.
      Some Hungarian megye (those that remained in Hungary had to be consolidated=
      )
      For example, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén megye.
      Or, Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg megye.
      The old Hungarian pre-war county around Kos^ice (Kassa) was called
      Abaúj-Torna megye.
      Settlement called Torna (H) was Turnianske Pohradie (Sk) located at
      the current Hungarian border, here many villages still use the prefix
      - Torna + place name.
      After treaty some other megye were split between Hungary and the new
      Slovakia territory.

      The Slovaks renamed the megye to new Slovak names and developed a system
      of Slovak counties called ^zupa.
      However this z^upy system was discontinued in 1923 when a new
      administrative term okres (district) was established which is still
      used in Slovakia.

      Zemplén megye (H) = Zemplín z^upa (Sv)

      However, the new Zemplín z^upa was only about half the size of the
      former megye.
      Formerly, Zemplén megye had extended south down to about Miskolc in
      current Hungary.
      This old Hungarian megye was split in half and part remained in Hungary,
      while the rest became part of Slovakia.
      The border between the two parts was established around Sátoraljaúhely, Hun=
      gary.

      http://www.different.hu/hunmap/hun/