Re: [S-R] Struggling to Locate a Hungarian Address

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 10, 2001
      Others can advise you better, but I think your sites are in the Slovak
      Republic today, in the southeastern part of the country.

      Your problem is that the modern names are in Slovak and you are working with
      the old Hungarian names, of course. Abauj was the county south of Saros,
      which in Slovak are Abov and S~aris~. My symboy means that there is a
      little hat over the S to change the sound to sh.

      Abov is in eastern Slovakia. Find the city of Kos~ice on the modern Slovak
      map and it is due southeast. My grandfather's family is from Abov. You can
      also enjoy exploring old maps from the Hungarian times and looking for the
      place names. Try http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/abauj-t.jpg

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 21, 2001
        At 10:23 PM 12/21/01 -0600, you wrote:
        >John,
        >
        >Thank you for your valuable information. I am making progress. What is
        >the S-K online directory?
        >
        >Jim

        It is the online Slovak phone directory. Instructions for how to use it
        are at:

        http://www.centroconsult.sk/Support/phone.html

        John
      • James Woods
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 21, 2001
          Thank you very much for the help. I believe I located Torna on the map
          you provided! How can I access the remaining maps of the country?

          Jim Woods

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 21, 2001

            John wrote:

            > At 10:21 PM 12/10/01 +0000, you wrote:
            > >Hello All,
            > >
            > >My name is Jim Woods of Newark, Delaware.
            > >
            > >I am searching for the origns of my maternal grandparents who were
            > >both born in Hungary in 1881 and immigrated to America ca. 1900.
            > >Joseph Koleszar is supposedly from Borsod-Abauj-Torna County or
            > >Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen County.
            >
            > I believe Torna is now Turna nad Bodvou, Kosice okres. It is about 40
            > miles SW of Kosice. There is another town called Tornal'a that is
            > located
            > about 100 miles SW of Kosice. I found the following in the SK online
            > directory.
            >
            > Eva Kolesárová Juz^ná , Tornala
            > Jozef Koleszár Tabaková , Tornala
            > Ladislav Kolesár Juz^ná , Tornala
            > Ladislav Koleszár Kos(ická (m.c.Starna) , Tornala
            > Vojtech Koleszár Tabaková , Tornala
            >
            > > My sources claim these places are in Hungary today; however, I cannot
            > > locate either on a map. There is a post in another site claiming
            > Torna is
            > > in Slovakia. Can you help me with the location?
            >
            > As you mentioned, both are located just a few miles north of
            > Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen County in Hungary but are in Slovakia, Kosice okres.
            >
            > John
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212196.1774498.3293437.1695382/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=894754/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N2663.yahoo/B40314.14;sz=300x250;ord=1008050710?>

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • John
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 21, 2001
              At 09:58 PM 12/21/01 -0600, you wrote:
              >Thank you very much for the help. I believe I located Torna on the map
              >you provided! How can I access the remaining maps of the country?
              >
              >Jim Woods

              This site gives you several options for early maps. In addition to a short
              history of Austria-Hungary, it has links to A-H countries, counties, etc. maps.
              http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/1910ind.htm

              John
            • John
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 21, 2001

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 21, 2001
                  Use that same URL, just cut back on it until you hit the index list.