Struggling to Locate a Hungarian Address

  • ppbjno1
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 10, 2001
      Hello All,

      My name is Jim Woods of Newark, Delaware.

      I am searching for the origns of my maternal grandparents who were
      both born in Hungary in 1881 and immigrated to America ca. 1900.
      Joseph Koleszar is supposedly from Borsod-Abauj-Torna County or
      Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen County. My sources claim these places are in
      Hungary today; however, I cannot locate either on a map. There is a
      post in another site claiming Torna is in Slovakia. Can you help me
      with the location?

      Jim
    • Alan ANTOSKA
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 10, 2001
        Would appreciate any information on a location or town
        called Zubliniecz. My information is that during WW1 on
        January 1916, the "Russian front" was located at or near
        Zubliniecz.

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • John
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 10, 2001
          At 10:21 PM 12/10/01 +0000, you wrote:
          >Hello All,
          >
          >My name is Jim Woods of Newark, Delaware.
          >
          >I am searching for the origns of my maternal grandparents who were
          >both born in Hungary in 1881 and immigrated to America ca. 1900.
          >Joseph Koleszar is supposedly from Borsod-Abauj-Torna County or
          >Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen County.

          I believe Torna is now Turna nad Bodvou, Kosice okres. It is about 40
          miles SW of Kosice. There is another town called Tornal'a that is located
          about 100 miles SW of Kosice. I found the following in the SK online
          directory.

          Eva Kolesárová Juz^ná , Tornala
          Jozef Koleszár Tabaková , Tornala
          Ladislav Kolesár Juz^ná , Tornala
          Ladislav Koleszár Košická (m.c.Starna) , Tornala
          Vojtech Koleszár Tabaková , Tornala

          > My sources claim these places are in Hungary today; however, I cannot
          > locate either on a map. There is a post in another site claiming Torna is
          > in Slovakia. Can you help me with the location?

          As you mentioned, both are located just a few miles north of
          Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen County in Hungary but are in Slovakia, Kosice okres.

          John
        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 11, 2001
            At 11:01 PM 12/10/01 -0700, you wrote:
            >At 10:21 PM 12/10/01 +0000, you wrote:
            > >Hello All,
            > >
            > >My name is Jim Woods of Newark, Delaware.
            > >
            > >I am searching for the origns of my maternal grandparents who were
            > >both born in Hungary in 1881 and immigrated to America ca. 1900.
            > >Joseph Koleszar is supposedly from Borsod-Abauj-Torna County or
            > >Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen County.
            >
            >I believe Torna is now Turna nad Bodvou, Kosice okres. It is about 40
            >miles SW of Kosice. There is another town called Tornal'a that is located
            >about 100 miles SW of Kosice.

            Trna'vka, Trebisov okres was also called Torna in about 1808. It is also
            near the Hungarian border but in the Trebisov area.

            John
          • frankly1us
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 11, 2001
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "ppbjno1" <ppbjno1@e...> wrote:
              > Hello All,
              >
              > My name is Jim Woods of Newark, Delaware.
              >
              > I am searching for the origns of my maternal grandparents who were
              > both born in Hungary in 1881 and immigrated to America ca. 1900.
              > Joseph Koleszar is supposedly from Borsod-Abauj-Torna County or
              > Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen County. My sources claim these places are in
              > Hungary today; however, I cannot locate either on a map. There is a
              > post in another site claiming Torna is in Slovakia. Can you help me
              > with the location?
              >
              > Jim

              With the establishment of the dual Austro-Hungarian Monarchy in 1876,
              Hungary was divided into 76 megye or counties.
              Austria consisted of 17 provinces.

              With the signing of the WW I peace treaty in 1920, Hungary lost two-thirds =

              of its former territory to new countries like Czechoslovakia and
              Yugoslavia.
              Some Hungarian megye (those that remained in Hungary had to be consolidated=
              )
              For example, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén megye.
              Or, Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg megye.
              The old Hungarian pre-war county around Kos^ice (Kassa) was called
              Abaúj-Torna megye.
              Settlement called Torna (H) was Turnianske Pohradie (Sk) located at
              the current Hungarian border, here many villages still use the prefix
              - Torna + place name.
              After treaty some other megye were split between Hungary and the new
              Slovakia territory.

              The Slovaks renamed the megye to new Slovak names and developed a system
              of Slovak counties called ^zupa.
              However this z^upy system was discontinued in 1923 when a new
              administrative term okres (district) was established which is still
              used in Slovakia.

              Zemplén megye (H) = Zemplín z^upa (Sv)

              However, the new Zemplín z^upa was only about half the size of the
              former megye.
              Formerly, Zemplén megye had extended south down to about Miskolc in
              current Hungary.
              This old Hungarian megye was split in half and part remained in Hungary,
              while the rest became part of Slovakia.
              The border between the two parts was established around Sátoraljaúhely, Hun=
              gary.

              http://www.different.hu/hunmap/hun/