Re: re:Sariska

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Dolores Glade <dtglade@y...> wrote:
      > Thanks to "John" for the info on Sariska. This is the
      > spelling on the town or place he was coming from in
      > the Austria/Hungary Empire as stated on the
      > naturalization application of my grandfather, Michael
      > Estvanik. (Sometimes it is spelled Estavanik but he
      > signed the paper Estvanik). He settled in Bayonne,
      > NJ.
      >
      > I would also love some information on my
      > great-grandparents but do not know just where they
      > came from: John Baran and Mary Magda. All my
      > grandparents came to America before Ellis Island was
      > opened and so are not on any of those lists.
      >
      > My paternal grandparents, Albert Birkner and Anna
      > Demeter came from Kosice now in Slovakia but I believe
      > formerly in Hungary. They settled in Pennsylvania.
      > Any help would be appreciated.

      > http://greetings.yahoo.com

      The Estavanik listed in SSDI were from Bayonne, NJ.

      But Estvanik is correct surname.
      15 surnames are listed in the Social Security Death Index (SSDI)

      http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=ssdi&ti=0&gsfn=&gsln=estvanik=
      &sx=&submit=search&gsco=1&gspl=1&year=&yearr=0&prox=1&yeart=a&ti=0&gss=angs&=
      gs=estvanik

      Surname Estvanik was from Sáros megye (county), Hungary later S^aris^
      z^upa (county), Slovakia.
      From Giraltovce (Sk) Girált (H) located 211 miles ENE of Bratislava and
      near Bardejov (Sk) Bártfa (H)
      From Abos (H) also located in Sáros megye.
      And from Pillen-Peklén (H) located near Pres^ov (Sk) Epérjes (H) located
      also in former Sáros megye. Sariska.