re:Sariska

  • Dolores Glade
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2001
      Thanks to "John" for the info on Sariska. This is the
      spelling on the town or place he was coming from in
      the Austria/Hungary Empire as stated on the
      naturalization application of my grandfather, Michael
      Estvanik. (Sometimes it is spelled Estavanik but he
      signed the paper Estvanik). He settled in Bayonne,
      NJ.

      I would also love some information on my
      great-grandparents but do not know just where they
      came from: John Baran and Mary Magda. All my
      grandparents came to America before Ellis Island was
      opened and so are not on any of those lists.

      My paternal grandparents, Albert Birkner and Anna
      Demeter came from Kosice now in Slovakia but I believe
      formerly in Hungary. They settled in Pennsylvania.
      Any help would be appreciated.

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Dolores Glade <dtglade@y...> wrote:
        > Thanks to "John" for the info on Sariska. This is the
        > spelling on the town or place he was coming from in
        > the Austria/Hungary Empire as stated on the
        > naturalization application of my grandfather, Michael
        > Estvanik. (Sometimes it is spelled Estavanik but he
        > signed the paper Estvanik). He settled in Bayonne,
        > NJ.
        >
        > I would also love some information on my
        > great-grandparents but do not know just where they
        > came from: John Baran and Mary Magda. All my
        > grandparents came to America before Ellis Island was
        > opened and so are not on any of those lists.
        >
        > My paternal grandparents, Albert Birkner and Anna
        > Demeter came from Kosice now in Slovakia but I believe
        > formerly in Hungary. They settled in Pennsylvania.
        > Any help would be appreciated.

        > http://greetings.yahoo.com

        The Estavanik listed in SSDI were from Bayonne, NJ.

        But Estvanik is correct surname.
        15 surnames are listed in the Social Security Death Index (SSDI)

        http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=ssdi&ti=0&gsfn=&gsln=estvanik=
        &sx=&submit=search&gsco=1&gspl=1&year=&yearr=0&prox=1&yeart=a&ti=0&gss=angs&=
        gs=estvanik

        Surname Estvanik was from Sáros megye (county), Hungary later S^aris^
        z^upa (county), Slovakia.
        From Giraltovce (Sk) Girált (H) located 211 miles ENE of Bratislava and
        near Bardejov (Sk) Bártfa (H)
        From Abos (H) also located in Sáros megye.
        And from Pillen-Peklén (H) located near Pres^ov (Sk) Epérjes (H) located
        also in former Sáros megye. Sariska.