Re: [S-R] Re: Flutha, Neograd & Kriz, Hungary

  • Sharon Pletz
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 6, 2001
      Yes I am told there was a tile factory that they worked in at Toronto.
      We were also told that the Rankel family owned a glass factory in the
      old country, it was also indicated that they produced Rankel jars for
      preserves. We have not been able to confirm any of this. Wouldn't it be
      wonderful to find it was true, you have given me new hope.
      This is getting more exciting all the time, it looks like they may have
      existed after all, I have begun thinking they were dropped from outer
      space :)) I hope to get to our history center and order some film very
      soon.

      John wrote:

      > >Francis Ples, born Kriz, Hung., son of Ferdinand Ples and Barbara
      > >Dabrowska, married Ludmilla Rankel, born Krize, daughter of Michael
      > >Rankel and Josepha Pepi. Witnesses: Georg Nozhal and John Brushwalski.
      > I found an Anton (40)(wife Maria not emigrating) and Bela Rankel (13) in
      > the EIDB emigrating from Bartha (looks like Bartfa, which is currently
      > Bardejov and a few miles NE of Krize) in 1913. My family used to walk to
      > Bardejov from Krize. They were headed for Toronto, Ohio where many of the
      > families from Kriz^e emigrated. As I said in an earlier post, Krize also
      > had a glass factory. Some of the raw materials were brought to Kriz^e from
      > Bardejov by wagon. The Krize area is well forested so the fuel for the
      > huta may have been wood. If I recall correctly, Toronto had a glass or
      > pottery factory.
      >
      > John

    • John
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 6, 2001
        At 11:47 PM 12/6/01 -0600, you wrote:
        >Yes I am told there was a tile factory that they worked in at Toronto.
        >We were also told that the Rankel family owned a glass factory in the
        >old country, it was also indicated that they produced Rankel jars for
        >preserves. We have not been able to confirm any of this. Wouldn't it be
        >wonderful to find it was true, you have given me new hope.
        >This is getting more exciting all the time, it looks like they may have
        >existed after all, I have begun thinking they were dropped from outer
        >space :)) I hope to get to our history center and order some film very
        >soon.

        I'll write to my cousin in Krize to see if he can find out who owned the
        glass factory and what the product was. He is in his early seventies so he
        may have a recollection of hearing about it. I was taken to the site of
        the factory south of town and could still see glass fragments on the ground
        although there was no evidence of any remnants of a structure there. Good
        luck.

        John