Flutha, Neograd & Kriz, Hungary

  • Sharon Pletz
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 5, 2001
      Hi, you have all been so helpful in the past and now I am hoping you are
      able to help again. Another family member has located the marriage
      records of our elders and we are not sure where to look next. The birth
      places were given on the marriage records are as follows and I have
      given what the US census had recorded as well just in case it will help:

      Flutha, Neograd, Hungaria (US Census gave Nograt, Hungary)
      Giertachowa(Szaryjska)Ungeria (Us Census gave Sariska, Hungary)
      Kriz, Hungary (no census records)
      Krize (no census records)

      Is Kriz and Krize the same location? I got different responses from the
      LDS search. The fellow born in Kriz is a brother to the one born in
      Flutha. Thankyou for any info you may be able to give. I have not been
      able to access this site tonight, not sure why.

      Sharon Pletz
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 6, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Sharon Pletz <ejay@s...> wrote:
        > Hi, you have all been so helpful in the past and now I am hoping you are
        > able to help again. Another family member has located the marriage
        > records of our elders and we are not sure where to look next. The birth
        > places were given on the marriage records are as follows and I have
        > given what the US census had recorded as well just in case it will help:
        >
        > Flutha, Neograd, Hungaria (US Census gave Nograt, Hungary)
        > Giertachowa(Szaryjska)Ungeria (Us Census gave Sariska, Hungary)
        > Kriz, Hungary (no census records)
        > Krize (no census records)
        >
        > Is Kriz and Krize the same location? I got different responses from the
        > LDS search. The fellow born in Kriz is a brother to the one born in
        > Flutha. Thankyou for any info you may be able to give. I have not been
        > able to access this site tonight, not sure why.
        >
        > Sharon Pletz

        U.S. Census takers were white Anglo males who spoke no foreign
        languages (until 1920 U.S. Census when some women with Slavic
        surnames were hired)
        Emigrants often knew no English.

        This is how I read your information.
        The old Hungarian county was called Sáros megye.
        In Slovak this later became S^aris^ z^upa (county)

        S^aris^ská/S^aris^ské/S^aris^sky' is Slovak grammar.

        Szaryjska look almost like a Polish word ?
        So does Giertachowa.
        Hungarian and Slovak don't use the letter w.
        In Polish and German the letter w is pron. v.

        Kríz^e (Sk) Krizse (H) is located 200 miles ENE of Bratislava and
        6 miles WSW of Bardejov (Sk) Bártfa (H) Bartfeld (G)
        Kríz^ = cross in Slovak
        kereszt = cross in Magyar

        A Fric^ka (Sk) Fricska (H) is located 10 miles distant.
        Gerlachov (Sk) Gerlachó (H) is located 6 miles from Fricka.
        Close to the current Polish border.

        The LDS filmed the G.C. parish church records for Kríz^e (1789-1895)
        Listed under Livov.

        The LDS filmed the G.C. parish church records for Fric^ka (1781-1851)
        (1857-1895)
        Listed under Petrová.

        R.C. parish church records for Fric^ka (1800-1895) are listed
        under Gaboltov.
      • Sharon Pletz
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 6, 2001
          Thank you so much for the assistance, the spelling and name variations
          on these documents are really messed up, so the location names will be
          as bad I am sure. Is it possible that Flutha and our Huta are the same
          place? Would one sound like the other? They had PLES on one and PLECZ on
          the other, both should be PLETZ, someone answered an earlier post to me
          indicating that PLECZ would be a variation to watch for and he was so
          right. We were always led to believe they were Czechoslovakian but since
          we have started the research we have discovered that it is a german
          name. Until we find their birth cert. we will not know for sure what
          name they left Hungary with. It was very good work on the person
          searching to pick them up. I am first giving what we had and then copied
          what we recieved from the church. I am amazed at how you are able to
          sort this out, and always be of so much help, Thanks again.

          Sharon Pletz

          John PLETZ Son of Ferdinand & Barbara & Mary SOPKO dau. of Andrew &
          Marie. John spoke of Huta as his home.

          Frank PLETZ same parents & Ludmelia RANKEL dau. of Michael
          From the records of St. Adalbert Church, South Side, Pittsburgh, PA

          On November 5, 1887, John Plecz, 24 years of age, born Flutha
          (Neograd(?)) Hungaria, son of the late Ferdinand Plecz and Barbara
          Dombrowska, married Maria Sobek, 21(?) years of age, born Giertachowa
          (Szaryjska) Ungeria, daughter of Andreas Sobek and Maria Cierski.
          Witnesses: Michael Buczko and John.

          From the records of St. Stanislaus Kostka Church, Strip District,
          Pittsburgh, PA

          Francis Ples, born Kriz, Hung., son of Ferdinand Ples and Barbara
          Dabrowska, married Ludmilla Rankel, born Krize, daughter of Michael
          Rankel and Josepha Pepi. Witnesses: Georg Nozhal and John Brushwalski.

          frankly1us wrote:

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Sharon Pletz <ejay@s...> wrote:
          > > Hi, you have all been so helpful in the past and now I am hoping you are
          > > able to help again. Another family member has located the marriage
          > > records of our elders and we are not sure where to look next. The birth
          > > places were given on the marriage records are as follows and I have
          > > given what the US census had recorded as well just in case it will help:
          > >
          > > Flutha, Neograd, Hungaria (US Census gave Nograt, Hungary)
          > > Giertachowa(Szaryjska)Ungeria (Us Census gave Sariska, Hungary)
          > > Kriz, Hungary (no census records)
          > > Krize (no census records)
          > >
          > > Is Kriz and Krize the same location? I got different responses from the
          > > LDS search. The fellow born in Kriz is a brother to the one born in
          > > Flutha. Thankyou for any info you may be able to give. I have not been
          > > able to access this site tonight, not sure why.
          > > http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
          > >
          > > Sharon Pletz
          >
          > U.S. Census takers were white Anglo males who spoke no foreign
          > languages (until 1920 U.S. Census when some women with Slavic
          > surnames were hired)
          > Emigrants often knew no English.
          >
          > This is how I read your information.
          > The old Hungarian county was called Sáros megye.
          > In Slovak this later became S^aris^ z^upa (county)
          >
          > S^aris^ská/S^aris^ské/S^aris^sky' is Slovak grammar.
          >
          > Szaryjska look almost like a Polish word ?
          > So does Giertachowa.
          > Hungarian and Slovak don't use the letter w.
          > In Polish and German the letter w is pron. v.
          >
          > Kríz^e (Sk) Krizse (H) is located 200 miles ENE of Bratislava and
          > 6 miles WSW of Bardejov (Sk) Bártfa (H) Bartfeld (G)
          > Kríz^ = cross in Slovak
          > kereszt = cross in Magyar
          >
          > A Fric^ka (Sk) Fricska (H) is located 10 miles distant.
          > Gerlachov (Sk) Gerlachó (H) is located 6 miles from Fricka.
          > Close to the current Polish border.
          >
          > The LDS filmed the G.C. parish church records for Kríz^e (1789-1895)
          > Listed under Livov.
          >
          > The LDS filmed the G.C. parish church records for Fric^ka (1781-1851)
          > (1857-1895)
          > Listed under Petrová.
          >
          > R.C. parish church records for Fric^ka (1800-1895) are listed
          > under Gaboltov.

        • John
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 6, 2001
            At 09:01 PM 12/6/01 +0000, you wrote:

            It looks like Frank has you zeroed in on the location you're interested
            in. All the villages are located in the same general area to the west of
            Bardejov running in a line from Fric^ka in the north to Krize in the
            south. My mother's village was Kriz^e and my wife's maternal grandparents
            were from Gerlachov. Giertachowa (Szaryjska) could very well be
            Gerlachov, Saris written by someone with a Polish ear. Gerlachowce was one
            of the names for the town in 1808. A baptismal record for an aunt that was
            born in Houtzdale has the Rusyn surname spelled phonetically in Polish
            because the parish priest was Polish. It was difficult to recognize as
            their surname. Several from Gerlachov emigrated to the Houtzdale, Ramey
            area in Clearfield county, PA.

            I have the films for Krize and Gerlachov on permanent loan. I also have a
            first cousin living in Kriz^e. If you're interested, let me have some
            additional information and I'll try to do a lookup. I may be able to
            recognize the surname just from researching the records and hearing the
            surnames while growing up in Ohio.

            John

          • Sharon Pletz
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 6, 2001
              John you are a wonderful, you are always so willing, and always sharing
              your wisdom. I posted the info on my previous reply, hate to do it again
              and create more email for the list. Thanks once again.

              Sharon

              John wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > >S^aris^ská/S^aris^ské/S^aris^sky' is Slovak grammar.
              > >
              > >Szaryjska look almost like a Polish word ?
              > >So does Giertachowa.
              > >Hungarian and Slovak don't use the letter w.
              > >In Polish and German the letter w is pron. v.
              > >
              > >Kríz^e (Sk) Krizse (H) is located 200 miles ENE of Bratislava and
              > >6 miles WSW of Bardejov (Sk) Bártfa (H) Bartfeld (G)
              > >Kríz^ = cross in Slovak
              > >kereszt = cross in Magyar
              > >
              > >A Fric^ka (Sk) Fricska (H) is located 10 miles distant.
              > >Gerlachov (Sk) Gerlachó (H) is located 6 miles from Fricka.
              > >Close to the current Polish border.
              > >
              > >The LDS filmed the G.C. parish church records for Kríz^e (1789-1895)
              > >Listed under Livov.
              > >
              > >The LDS filmed the G.C. parish church records for Fric^ka (1781-1851)
              > >(1857-1895)
              > >Listed under Petrová.
              > >
              > >R.C. parish church records for Fric^ka (1800-1895) are listed

            • John
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 6, 2001
                At 07:54 PM 12/6/01 -0600, you wrote:
                >I posted the info on my previous reply, hate to do it again
                >and create more email for the list. Thanks once again.
                >
                >Sharon

                I recalled from my visit that the town of Kruz^lova just north of Kriz^e
                also had a glass factory. I've never heard of Krize being given the Huta
                suffix but I was told Kruz^lova about 4 miles north of Krize had an
                adjacent village just north of it called Kruz^lovska Huta , so I checked
                and found:

                Anna Pletzová
                2, Kruz^lovská Huta
                054/4795158

                John
              • John
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 6, 2001
                  At 07:37 PM 12/6/01 -0600, you wrote:
                  > From the records of St. Adalbert Church, South Side, Pittsburgh, PA
                  >
                  >On November 5, 1887, John Plecz, 24 years of age, born Flutha
                  >(Neograd(?)) Hungaria, son of the late Ferdinand Plecz and Barbara
                  >Dombrowska, married Maria Sobek, 21(?) years of age, born Giertachowa
                  >(Szaryjska) Ungeria, daughter of Andreas Sobek and Maria Cierski.
                  >Witnesses: Michael Buczko and John.

                  This might help confirm the Gerlachov hypothesis. I found a Marián Sobek,
                  Gerlachov in the SK directory and from past research of Gerlachov films and
                  I know that Buczko (currently 5 Buc^ko are listed in the Gerlachov
                  directory) can be found in Gerlachov. Kruz^lovska Huta is about a mile and
                  a half west of Gerlachov. I found the post 1895 records for Gerlachov in
                  Malcov a few miles to the west of Gerlachov. The pre 1895 records can be
                  found at the LDS FHL:

                  http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=733824&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika

                  The records of Kruzlovska Huta should be with the Kruzlov (I made a mistake
                  and referred to it as Kruzlova in the last post) records because they are
                  only a quarter mile apart. The Kruzlov records are at:

                  http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=729700&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika

                  The current (>1895) records are probably housed in Bardejov. I found the
                  post 1895 records for Kri^ze in Bardejov.

                  > From the records of St. Stanislaus Kostka Church, Strip District,
                  > Pittsburgh, PA
                  >
                  >Francis Ples, born Kriz, Hung., son of Ferdinand Ples and Barbara
                  >Dabrowska, married Ludmilla Rankel, born Krize, daughter of Michael
                  >Rankel and Josepha Pepi. Witnesses: Georg Nozhal and John Brushwalski.

                  I'm not familiar with any of the names above except I think I recall a
                  Rankel for some reason. There are Rohals in Krize and other villages in
                  the area but I haven't seen a Nozhal. I'll have to check the films for
                  these names.

                  John
                • Sharon Pletz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 6, 2001
                    Thank you John, you have no idea how excited we are to think that we may
                    finally crash this wall, until now we could not find anything with the
                    actual town being named, only approx. areas, I could never have found
                    all this without you and John. I hope I am able to return the favor
                    someday. I have a lot of genealogy software and micro fiche so drop me a
                    line to see if I am able to help you, it is mostly for the UK and US.
                    Then you never know when you may need help in Canada either. Thanks

                    Sharon

                    John wrote:

                    > At 07:37 PM 12/6/01 -0600, you wrote:
                    > > From the records of St. Adalbert Church, South Side, Pittsburgh, PA
                    > >
                    > >On November 5, 1887, John Plecz, 24 years of age, born Flutha
                    > >(Neograd(?)) Hungaria, son of the late Ferdinand Plecz and Barbara
                    > >Dombrowska, married Maria Sobek, 21(?) years of age, born Giertachowa
                    > >(Szaryjska) Ungeria, daughter of Andreas Sobek and Maria Cierski.
                    > >Witnesses: Michael Buczko and John.
                    >
                    > This might help confirm the Gerlachov hypothesis. I found a Marián Sobek,
                    > Gerlachov in the SK directory and from past research of Gerlachov films and
                    > I know that Buczko (currently 5 Buc^ko are listed in the Gerlachov
                    > directory) can be found in Gerlachov. Kruz^lovska Huta is about a mile and
                    > a half west of Gerlachov. I found the post 1895 records for Gerlachov in
                    > Malcov a few miles to the west of Gerlachov. The pre 1895 records can be
                    > found at the LDS FHL:
                    >
                    > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=733824&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika
                    >
                    > The records of Kruzlovska Huta should be with the Kruzlov (I made a mistake
                    > and referred to it as Kruzlova in the last post) records because they are
                    > only a quarter mile apart. The Kruzlov records are at:
                    >
                    > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=729700&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika
                    >
                    > The current (>1895) records are probably housed in Bardejov. I found the
                    > post 1895 records for Kri^ze in Bardejov.
                    >
                    > > From the records of St. Stanislaus Kostka Church, Strip District,
                    > > Pittsburgh, PA
                    > >
                    > >Francis Ples, born Kriz, Hung., son of Ferdinand Ples and Barbara
                    > >Dabrowska, married Ludmilla Rankel, born Krize, daughter of Michael
                    > >Rankel and Josepha Pepi. Witnesses: Georg Nozhal and John Brushwalski.
                    >
                    > I'm not familiar with any of the names above except I think I recall a
                    > Rankel for some reason. There are Rohals in Krize and other villages in
                    > the area but I haven't seen a Nozhal. I'll have to check the films for
                    > these names.
                    >
                    > John

                  • Sharon Pletz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 6, 2001
                      Sorry I ment you and Frank, told you I was excited.

                      Sharon

                      Sharon Pletz wrote:

                      > Thank you John, you have no idea how excited we are to think that we may
                      > finally crash this wall, until now we could not find anything with the
                      > actual town being named, only approx. areas, I could never have found
                      > all this without you and John. I hope I am able to return the favor
                      > someday. I have a lot of genealogy software and micro fiche so drop me a
                      > line to see if I am able to help you, it is mostly for the UK and US.
                      > Then you never know when you may need help in Canada either. Thanks
                      >
                      > Sharon

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 6, 2001

                        >Francis Ples, born Kriz, Hung., son of Ferdinand Ples and Barbara
                        >Dabrowska, married Ludmilla Rankel, born Krize, daughter of Michael
                        >Rankel and Josepha Pepi. Witnesses: Georg Nozhal and John Brushwalski.
                        I found an Anton (40)(wife Maria not emigrating) and Bela Rankel (13) in
                        the EIDB emigrating from Bartha (looks like Bartfa, which is currently
                        Bardejov and a few miles NE of Krize) in 1913. My family used to walk to
                        Bardejov from Krize. They were headed for Toronto, Ohio where many of the
                        families from Kriz^e emigrated. As I said in an earlier post, Krize also
                        had a glass factory. Some of the raw materials were brought to Kriz^e from
                        Bardejov by wagon. The Krize area is well forested so the fuel for the
                        huta may have been wood. If I recall correctly, Toronto had a glass or
                        pottery factory.

                        John
                      • Sharon Pletz
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 6, 2001
                          Yes I am told there was a tile factory that they worked in at Toronto.
                          We were also told that the Rankel family owned a glass factory in the
                          old country, it was also indicated that they produced Rankel jars for
                          preserves. We have not been able to confirm any of this. Wouldn't it be
                          wonderful to find it was true, you have given me new hope.
                          This is getting more exciting all the time, it looks like they may have
                          existed after all, I have begun thinking they were dropped from outer
                          space :)) I hope to get to our history center and order some film very
                          soon.

                          John wrote:

                          > >Francis Ples, born Kriz, Hung., son of Ferdinand Ples and Barbara
                          > >Dabrowska, married Ludmilla Rankel, born Krize, daughter of Michael
                          > >Rankel and Josepha Pepi. Witnesses: Georg Nozhal and John Brushwalski.
                          > I found an Anton (40)(wife Maria not emigrating) and Bela Rankel (13) in
                          > the EIDB emigrating from Bartha (looks like Bartfa, which is currently
                          > Bardejov and a few miles NE of Krize) in 1913. My family used to walk to
                          > Bardejov from Krize. They were headed for Toronto, Ohio where many of the
                          > families from Kriz^e emigrated. As I said in an earlier post, Krize also
                          > had a glass factory. Some of the raw materials were brought to Kriz^e from
                          > Bardejov by wagon. The Krize area is well forested so the fuel for the
                          > huta may have been wood. If I recall correctly, Toronto had a glass or
                          > pottery factory.
                          >
                          > John

                        • John
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 6, 2001
                            At 11:47 PM 12/6/01 -0600, you wrote:
                            >Yes I am told there was a tile factory that they worked in at Toronto.
                            >We were also told that the Rankel family owned a glass factory in the
                            >old country, it was also indicated that they produced Rankel jars for
                            >preserves. We have not been able to confirm any of this. Wouldn't it be
                            >wonderful to find it was true, you have given me new hope.
                            >This is getting more exciting all the time, it looks like they may have
                            >existed after all, I have begun thinking they were dropped from outer
                            >space :)) I hope to get to our history center and order some film very
                            >soon.

                            I'll write to my cousin in Krize to see if he can find out who owned the
                            glass factory and what the product was. He is in his early seventies so he
                            may have a recollection of hearing about it. I was taken to the site of
                            the factory south of town and could still see glass fragments on the ground
                            although there was no evidence of any remnants of a structure there. Good
                            luck.

                            John