  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Fran M Roen <artbyfran@j...> wrote:
      > Hi. My name is Fran Roen
      >
      > I'm looking for information on a Nicholas Hemmerling b. ablt 1860 birth
      > place believed to be Yagerdorf.
      > he married Philamena Dick and they had one son Frank Hemmerling
      >
      > Can you help me? I'm bloody from hitting his brick wall.
      >
      > Take Care
      > Fran

      Don't know your surnames.
      Rauche, Roen, Hemmerling, and Kramer are German surnames.

      Dolena could be any one of many place names in many European
      countries ?
      What was the documentation for Dolena ? Written in what language ?

      In Hungarian, Czech, Slovak, Polish, other Slavic languages, and
      German the letter J is pron. Y.

      A Jagerdorfel is located 55 miles north of Praha at the curerent German
      border at Grossschönau.

      And Jägerndorf (G) was Krnov (Cz) located at the current Polish border.

      After WW 2 the Czechs renamed all the German named towns to Czech names.
      They also liked to give the same Czech name to multiple locations to lose
      former German identity.
      In 1945-1948 they expelled the 3 million Germans in Czechoslovakia and
      executed 200,000 or so by starvation and summary execution.

      There are hundreds of Hemmerling associated with Luxembourg, Dresden,
      Germany; Austria, Canada, Saxony, Poland, and American Midwest.