Translations etc

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 1999
      Hi all....

      It's absolutely fine to ask for translations here, and to respond to
      them..... its a good way to help each other.

      However, when I first started on my Slovak lines one of the best pieces
      of advice I was given by someone was to invest in good Latin and
      Hungarian dictionaries. I got them and they sat on my shelf, until I
      started reading the Sabinov RC church records a few months later, and
      now both are dog-eared and used lovingly all the time.

      It's also a good idea (another hint given to me) to develop your own
      "word cheat sheet" so you don't have to flip through the books all the
      time. Mine has the headings of columns, certain words that pop up
      constantly in the records (mostly occupations and descriptions). It
      saves me a lot of time and eyestrain.

      I received my Latin book as a gift from a friend in England, whose local
      Genealogy Society publishes it. It's a Latin Genealogy Dictionary and is
      very good.

      The Hungarian one I have is from _A Handy Guide to Hungarian
      Genealogical Records_ by Jared Suess published by Everton Publishers in
      Utah. That was less than $10 and I would highly recommend it to anyone
      searching in the former Austria-Hungary areas. My copy is used so much
      its about to fall apart.

      Investing in these dictionaries and guides will pay off for you in the
      long run.

      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching