surnames

  • monica wentworth
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
      Looking for Ross, Verdnak or maybe Yorbak-somewhere in the austro-hungarian
      empire-would be late 1800s

    • monica wentworth
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
        Does this list support most of the Ukraine/poland/romania or should I
        perhaps look for other lists?

      • Malý
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 18, 2004
          Does anyone know anything about the surnames Škapík, Sladicek, Timko,
          or Pipa? Any help would be appreciated.
        • Frank
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Malý <musiced_2003@y...> wrote:
            > Does anyone know anything about the surnames Škapík, Sladicek, Timko,
            > or Pipa? Any help would be appreciated.

            poslucha'c^ka ?

            Depends upon what kind of help you want ?

            S^kapik could be from Senica region of western Slovakia, Austria, or Morav=
            ia, or Hungary.

            Sladicek can be a Czech-Bohemian surname, or a Croatian surname from Bac^ka=
            (Cr)

            Timko- hundreds and hundreds of surname bearers from Hungary, Slovakia, and=

            Czechoslovakia.

            Surname Pipa can be from Slovakia, Hungary, Poland, Belarus, and when a Sla=
            vic
            surname ends in a vowel (a,e,i,o) it can also be an Italian, Portuguese, or=
            Spanish
            surname.

            You are using a Central European keyboard so expect you want Slovakia.
            What are the first names of the surnames you want to research ?

            Frank K