Hello

  • n.subik@uea.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 24, 2001
      Hello! I am new to this group. My name is Nicole, and I am a 20 year-
      old college student. I am currently studying in the UK for a year.
      In the spring I plan on travelling to the old country, and I would
      like to see if I have any family over there. Here is what I know:
      My family (great-great grandparents, I think) came to America around
      the turn of the century from a small town near Brataslava. Many
      people from this town apparently came over at the same time and
      settled in the same area in Upstate New York. Not too many of the
      older Slovak people speak the language now-a-days, and most of my
      older relatives have passed away or I am not in close contact with.
      I know there must be many more Subiks left in Slovakia (possibly
      Czech Rep. as well), and I would like to at least find out where they
      live, or where they are concentrated. Does anyone know if I can
      access any kind of White pages on the internet that are not in
      Slovak? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    • Tim Skvarenina
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 24, 2001
        --- n.subik@... wrote:
        > Hello! I am new to this group. My name is Nicole,
        >
        > Does anyone
        > know if I can
        > access any kind of White pages on the internet that
        > are not in
        > Slovak? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
        > Thanks!

        Nicole,

        The following link has instructions for the online
        white pages and a link to it.

        http://www.centroconsult.sk/Support/phone.html

        I think you have to enter a city however along with
        the name to get responses.

        Tim

        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
      • jwm_579
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2004
          My name is Jerry Molchany. My Slovak families come from Jurske area (surnames = Molcsany, Mitura, Zentko). My great-grandfather Andrew Molcsany (Hungarian spelling) emigrated in 1892. His wife (Maria Bratko - village unknown) and son Andrew emigrated in 1895. They settled in the Lehigh Valley in PA. His brother Jacob and family emigrated around 1905. Another branch of Molchanys from Jurske settled in the Johnstown, PA area. My father's mother's father (George Budihaz) came from Kamenica nad Cirochou around 1886(surnames = Budias, Csabak, Tovarnjak, Schepelija). He married Maria Tabaka who emigrated in 1890 from Hlinne (surnames = Tabaka and Stredny). I have RC and GC records for Jurske from late 1700's to early 1900's. For Kamenica I only have RC records from about 1805 to 1843. If anyone has family from these areas I can do a quick search through my Excel files.
        • sandraljanu
          Message 4 of 22 , May 22, 2012
            My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old grandmother of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research on my Hungarian roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from Kislonya and Nagylonya, Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the early 1900's and settled in Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I have been searching for that surname in many online resources (ancestry.com, LDS, etc). However, I have been led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in origin, but rather has its roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am stumped as to how to research my possible Slovakian roots. I am looking for any suggestions or a direction I can take. I would appreciate any assistance that you might be able to give me. I am new to this site and look forward to chatting with you. Thank you so much.
          • htcstech
            Message 5 of 22 , May 22, 2012
              Hello Sandra,

              Can you confirm the spelling of the Slovak towns you mentioned?
              Could it be Nagyladna?

              Peter M.

              On 22 May 2012 22:36, sandraljanu <sjhoreo@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old grandmother
              > of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research on my Hungarian
              > roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from Kislonya and Nagylonya,
              > Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the early 1900's and settled in
              > Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I have been searching for that surname
              > in many online resources (ancestry.com, LDS, etc). However, I have been
              > led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in origin, but rather has its
              > roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am stumped as to how to research my
              > possible Slovakian roots. I am looking for any suggestions or a direction I
              > can take. I would appreciate any assistance that you might be able to give
              > me. I am new to this site and look forward to chatting with you. Thank you
              > so much.

            • htcstech
              Message 6 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                Hmmm.. fallingrain has 1 entry: LONYA
                http://www.fallingrain.com/world/HU/18/Lonya.html
                It's right on the border of the Ukraine and is in fact in Hungary.
                Wikipedia even has an article on it!
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B3nya

                If I'm right, then we'll need to look at the chruch records for the main
                parish church for the area in the LDS records.
                Nagy and Kis are fairly common prefixes to towns meaning 'large 'and
                'small', So Big Lonya and Small Lonya

                Peter M.

                On 22 May 2012 22:43, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

                > Hello Sandra,
                >
                > Can you confirm the spelling of the Slovak towns you mentioned?
                > Could it be Nagyladna?
                >
                > Peter M.
                >

                > On 22 May 2012 22:36, sandraljanu <sjhoreo@...> wrote:
                >
                >> **
                >>

                >> My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old
                >> grandmother of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research on my
                >> Hungarian roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from Kislonya and
                >> Nagylonya, Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the early 1900's and
                >> settled in Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I have been searching for
                >> that surname in many online resources (ancestry.com, LDS, etc). However,
                >> I have been led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in origin, but rather
                >> has its roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am stumped as to how to research
                >> my possible Slovakian roots. I am looking for any suggestions or a
                >> direction I can take. I would appreciate any assistance that you might be
                >> able to give me. I am new to this site and look forward to chatting with
                >> you. Thank you so much.

              • Sue Martin
                Message 7 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                  I haven't been able to find a different name for those places, but they are in Bereg district, which is now in the Ukraine.

                  Sue

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                    Yep. That's the place!
                    Here's confirmation from the website: http://www.lonya.hu/contents.php?id=8
                    Click the English flag top right if the page comes up in Hungarian.

                    "About L�nya

                    To get to L�nya go east from Benk and cross the river Tisza on a ferry
                    boat. It lies by the Ukrainian border in the northern-Bereg hills. The
                    visitor is welcomed by small huts, tradition-loving, hard-working people,
                    and wooden headboards on tombs with a poem on each one. According to the
                    folk legend shepherds and wood-carvers established the village in the Bereg
                    Tiszah�t region, and the largest landowner family - who played a great role
                    in the life of the county - named themselves L�nyay, after the name of the
                    village. Towards the end of the 14th century the settlement split into Kis
                    - and Nagyl�nya. The L�nyay family lived in Nagyl�nya in a fort or castle,
                    which was ruined either for political reason or by the family, or might
                    have been destroyed by the Turks in 1567. Kis and Nagyl�nya were united as
                    L�nya in 1934. The village used to lie closer to the river, but the
                    inhabitants had to move further up, to the current position, because of
                    frequent floods. Although the village was rebuilt, there are still a few
                    special barns left, the so-called alley-barns; these are characteristic,
                    because they were built lengthwise on the narrow, long strips of land
                    occupying the whole width of the yard, and forming a wall-like row of
                    barns. These barns can be seen in Kossuth or in �rp�d Street. Today, most
                    of the 900 inhabitants live by the main street and produce mainly wheat,
                    corn, sunflower seeds, apples, walnuts and plums."

                    On 22 May 2012 23:05, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

                    > Hmmm.. fallingrain has 1 entry: LONYA
                    > http://www.fallingrain.com/world/HU/18/Lonya.html
                    > It's right on the border of the Ukraine and is in fact in Hungary.
                    > Wikipedia even has an article on it!
                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B3nya
                    >
                    > If I'm right, then we'll need to look at the chruch records for the main
                    > parish church for the area in the LDS records.
                    > Nagy and Kis are fairly common prefixes to towns meaning 'large 'and
                    > 'small', So Big Lonya and Small Lonya
                    >
                    > Peter M.
                    >

                    > On 22 May 2012 22:43, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hello Sandra,
                    >>
                    >> Can you confirm the spelling of the Slovak towns you mentioned?
                    >> Could it be Nagyladna?
                    >>
                    >> Peter M.
                    >>

                    >> On 22 May 2012 22:36, sandraljanu <sjhoreo@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> **
                    >>>

                    >>> My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old
                    >>> grandmother of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research on my
                    >>> Hungarian roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from Kislonya and
                    >>> Nagylonya, Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the early 1900's and
                    >>> settled in Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I have been searching for
                    >>> that surname in many online resources (ancestry.com, LDS, etc).
                    >>> However, I have been led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in origin,
                    >>> but rather has its roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am stumped as to how to
                    >>> research my possible Slovakian roots. I am looking for any suggestions or a
                    >>> direction I can take. I would appreciate any assistance that you might be
                    >>> able to give me. I am new to this site and look forward to chatting with
                    >>> you. Thank you so much.

                  • htcstech
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                      Hello Sandra,
                      I think I found your relatives in the LDS records.

                      Here's an excerpt:

                      Lidia Janu <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKFB-SDH>

                      Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895
                      baptism:21 Jun 1868Kislónya,​ Bereg,​ Hungary parents:János Janu,​ Kata
                      Egyed
                      Jósef Janu <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKFB-3BZ>

                      Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895
                      baptism:08 Feb 1871Kislónya,​ Bereg,​ Hungary parents:Zsuzsánna Janu
                      Rozi Janu <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKFB-HZ3>

                      Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895
                      baptism:16 May 1871Kislónya,​ Bereg,​ Hungary parents:János Janu,
                      Katalin Egyed
                      Jósef Janu <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKFB-X2N>

                      Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895
                      baptism:17 Apr 1875Kislónya,​ Bereg,​ Hungary parents:János Janu,
                      Ersébet Gerö
                      Eszter Janu <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKFB-Q5Z>

                      Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895
                      baptism:30 Jan 1879Kislónya,​ Bereg,​ Hungary parents:János Janu,
                      Ersébet Gerö
                      János Janu <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKFB-C3V>

                      Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895
                      baptism:19 Sep 1876Kislónya,​ Bereg,​ Hungary parents:János Janu,
                      Ersébet Gerö As you can tell, there's lots of them.

                      The link is too long to paste, but start here: https://www.familysearch.org/
                      Then: Scroll down to Browse by Location and click Europe
                      Then find Hungary Reformed Church Christenings - click on that.
                      On the next page, just enter Janu.
                      I found the above exerpts on about page 4.

                      Good Luck!

                      Peter M.

                      PS Many of the other towns listed in these records are very close by Lonya.
                      Also note that Lonya has an accent mark above the o

                      On 22 May 2012 22:36, sandraljanu <sjhoreo@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old grandmother
                      > of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research on my Hungarian
                      > roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from Kislonya and Nagylonya,
                      > Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the early 1900's and settled in
                      > Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I have been searching for that surname
                      > in many online resources (ancestry.com, LDS, etc). However, I have been
                      > led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in origin, but rather has its
                      > roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am stumped as to how to research my
                      > possible Slovakian roots. I am looking for any suggestions or a direction I
                      > can take. I would appreciate any assistance that you might be able to give
                      > me. I am new to this site and look forward to chatting with you. Thank you
                      > so much.

                    • Janet Kozlay
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                        Microfilms of Reformed church records are available 1778-1895. Roman
                        Catholic records would be found with Mezo-Kaszony. Greek Catholic are with
                        Sztrabicso (Strabycova, UK) and are not available.

                        According to Wikipedia, Janu is a Czech name. But the Czech Republic is a
                        long way from Lonya.

                        Janet

                        Click the English flag top right if the page comes up in Hungarian.

                        "About Lónya

                        To get to Lónya go east from Benk and cross the river Tisza on a ferry boat.
                        It lies by the Ukrainian border in the northern-Bereg hills. The visitor is
                        welcomed by small huts, tradition-loving, hard-working people, and wooden
                        headboards on tombs with a poem on each one. According to the folk legend
                        shepherds and wood-carvers established the village in the Bereg Tiszahát
                        region, and the largest landowner family - who played a great role in the
                        life of the county - named themselves Lónyay, after the name of the village.
                        Towards the end of the 14th century the settlement split into Kis
                        - and Nagylónya. The Lónyay family lived in Nagylónya in a fort or castle,
                        which was ruined either for political reason or by the family, or might have
                        been destroyed by the Turks in 1567. Kis and Nagylónya were united as Lónya
                        in 1934. The village used to lie closer to the river, but the inhabitants
                        had to move further up, to the current position, because of frequent floods.
                        Although the village was rebuilt, there are still a few special barns left,
                        the so-called alley-barns; these are characteristic, because they were built
                        lengthwise on the narrow, long strips of land occupying the whole width of
                        the yard, and forming a wall-like row of barns. These barns can be seen in
                        Kossuth or in Árpád Street. Today, most of the 900 inhabitants live by the
                        main street and produce mainly wheat, corn, sunflower seeds, apples, walnuts
                        and plums."

                        On 22 May 2012 23:05, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

                        > Hmmm.. fallingrain has 1 entry: LONYA
                        > http://www.fallingrain.com/world/HU/18/Lonya.html
                        > It's right on the border of the Ukraine and is in fact in Hungary.
                        > Wikipedia even has an article on it!
                        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B3nya
                        >
                        > If I'm right, then we'll need to look at the chruch records for the
                        > main parish church for the area in the LDS records.
                        > Nagy and Kis are fairly common prefixes to towns meaning 'large 'and
                        > 'small', So Big Lonya and Small Lonya
                        >
                        > Peter M.
                        >

                        > On 22 May 2012 22:43, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Hello Sandra,
                        >>
                        >> Can you confirm the spelling of the Slovak towns you mentioned?
                        >> Could it be Nagyladna?
                        >>
                        >> Peter M.
                        >>

                        >> On 22 May 2012 22:36, sandraljanu <sjhoreo@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> **
                        >>>

                        >>> My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old
                        >>> grandmother of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research
                        >>> on my Hungarian roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from
                        >>> Kislonya and Nagylonya, Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the
                        >>> early 1900's and settled in Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I
                        >>> have been searching for that surname in many online resources
                        (ancestry.com, LDS, etc).
                        >>> However, I have been led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in
                        >>> origin, but rather has its roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am
                        >>> stumped as to how to research my possible Slovakian roots. I am
                        >>> looking for any suggestions or a direction I can take. I would
                        >>> appreciate any assistance that you might be able to give me. I am
                        >>> new to this site and look forward to chatting with you. Thank you so
                        much.

                      • Tom Potsko
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                          Peter,
                          Where do you have an option to enter Janu once you select Hungary Reformed
                          Church Christenings? Usually you have to choose a village and browse the
                          collection. Is this unique to Hungarian records? Thanks, Tom

                        • William C. Wormuth
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                            There is one telephone listing for Janu, (in Eastern Slovakia),  Priekopa, East of Sobrance

                            ________________________________
                            Click the English flag top right if the page comes up in Hungarian.

                            "About Lónya

                            To get to Lónya go east from Benk and cross the river Tisza on a ferry
                            boat. It lies by the Ukrainian border in the northern-Bereg hills. The
                            visitor is welcomed by small huts, tradition-loving, hard-working people,
                            and wooden headboards on tombs with a poem on each one. According to the
                            folk legend shepherds and wood-carvers established the village in the Bereg
                            Tiszahát region, and the largest landowner family - who played a great role
                            in the life of the county - named themselves Lónyay, after the name of the
                            village. Towards the end of the 14th century the settlement split into Kis
                            - and Nagylónya. The Lónyay family lived in Nagylónya in a fort or castle,
                            which was ruined either for political reason or by the family, or might
                            have been destroyed by the Turks in 1567. Kis and Nagylónya were united as
                            Lónya in 1934. The village used to lie closer to the river, but the
                            inhabitants had to move further up, to the current position, because of
                            frequent floods. Although the village was rebuilt, there are still a few
                            special barns left, the so-called alley-barns; these are characteristic,
                            because they were built lengthwise on the narrow, long strips of land
                            occupying the whole width of the yard, and forming a wall-like row of
                            barns. These barns can be seen in Kossuth or in Árpád Street. Today, most
                            of the 900 inhabitants live by the main street and produce mainly wheat,
                            corn, sunflower seeds, apples, walnuts and plums."

                            On 22 May 2012 23:05, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

                            > Hmmm.. fallingrain has 1 entry:  LONYA
                            > http://www.fallingrain.com/world/HU/18/Lonya.html
                            > It's right on the border of the Ukraine and is in fact in Hungary.
                            > Wikipedia even has an article on it!
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B3nya
                            >
                            > If I'm right, then we'll need to look at the chruch records for the main
                            > parish church for the area in the LDS records.
                            > Nagy and Kis are fairly common prefixes to towns meaning 'large 'and
                            > 'small', So Big Lonya and Small Lonya
                            >
                            > Peter M.
                            >

                            > On 22 May 2012 22:43, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Hello Sandra,
                            >>
                            >> Can you confirm the spelling of the Slovak towns you mentioned?
                            >> Could it be Nagyladna?
                            >>
                            >> Peter M.
                            >>

                            >> On 22 May 2012 22:36, sandraljanu <sjhoreo@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> **
                            >>>

                            >>> My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old
                            >>> grandmother of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research on my
                            >>> Hungarian roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from Kislonya and
                            >>> Nagylonya, Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the early 1900's and
                            >>> settled in Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I have been searching for
                            >>> that surname in many online resources (ancestry.com, LDS, etc).
                            >>> However, I have been led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in origin,
                            >>> but rather has its roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am stumped as to how to
                            >>> research my possible Slovakian roots. I am looking for any suggestions or a
                            >>> direction I can take. I would appreciate any assistance that you might be
                            >>> able to give me. I am new to this site and look forward to chatting with
                            >>> you. Thank you so much.

                          • William C. Wormuth
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                              The Janu I found in the phone directory, was spelled Janů, (a little "o" over the u), which is Czech.  I thought it was an error because the address is in the Far eastern part of Slovakia.

                              ________________________________

> [...]

                              >>> **
                              >>>

                              >>> My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old
                              >>> grandmother of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research
                              >>> on my Hungarian roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from
                              >>> Kislonya and Nagylonya, Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the
                              >>> early 1900's and settled in Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I
                              >>> have been searching for that surname in many online resources
                              (ancestry.com, LDS, etc).
                              >>> However, I have been led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in
                              >>> origin, but rather has its roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am
                              >>> stumped as to how to research my possible Slovakian roots. I am
                              >>> looking for any suggestions or a direction I can take. I would
                              >>> appreciate any assistance that you might be able to give me. I am
                              >>> new to this site and look forward to chatting with you. Thank you so

                            • CurtB
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                Vilo,
                                There may be only one Janu in the phone book, but the 1995 Slovak census database shows the name in 21 villages and towns, in both forms of the name. Just search for Janu in the datasbase at

                                http://www.centroconsult.sk/toolbox/juls.html

                                Curt B.

                                > There is one telephone listing for Janu, (in Eastern Slovakia),  Priekopa, East of Sobrance
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • vera holman
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                  Hello Curt,
                                  Have been trying to connect with relatives in Slovakia. What is the url
                                  for getting the latest census of Michalovce, Sk. Looking for names,George
                                  SABO, John KUDRA, and Anne HOSPODAR.
                                  Thank you, Vera

                                • John
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                    >>> What is the url for getting the latest census of Michalovce, Sk. Looking for names,George SABO, John KUDRA, and Anne HOSPODAR. <<<

                                    http://slovniky.korpus.sk/?lang=en&d=priezviska
                                  • htcstech
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                      Tom,
                                      I have found that some indexing has been done by LDS on Hungarian records,
                                      meaning that they've read the records and put the names in a database that
                                      is available online. This makes searches extremely quick. Sometimes the
                                      original images are available of a particular record when you click on a
                                      resulting name, sometime not.
                                      Ancestry.com and a few other gen sites work off their own indexes that are
                                      linked to various National Archives by licence. That's what you pay for.
                                      Indexing is great and hopefully points to an available record image so you
                                      can get more information. Sometimes indexed entries are poorly transcribed,
                                      especially name spellings etc, so looking at the actual record is a must.
                                      As far as I know, no indexing has been done on Slovak records.
                                      So in Sandra (Janu) case, the village was Lutheran, names were indexed and
                                      all she has to do is to type Janu in the surname box and hit return, look
                                      for the Jaras (region, district) and presto! Instant results.
                                      Family trees are important too. Public and private gen research assembled
                                      in trees had allowed me to find a completed family tree on my wife's
                                      father's side in something like 30 minutes. That's 100 years of Australian
                                      tree all the way to Scotland to the early 1700's. An email later to confirm
                                      the links and it's done!
                                      Sometimes it's that easy.

                                      Peter M.

                                    • William C. Wormuth
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                        Curt,

                                        You are correct.

                                        The Phone Directory is NOT  a trusted result.  It is only for finding possible relatives in those towns or areas.  Not everyone has a phone and I am not sure why, some who do are not listed.
                                        Anyone using the Zoznam Telefonnymust remember to try the female version of the name.

                                        Z Bohom,

                                        Vilo

                                        ________________________________
                                        There may be only one Janu in the phone book, but the 1995 Slovak census database shows the name in 21 villages and towns, in both forms of the name. Just search for Janu in the datasbase at

                                        http://www.centroconsult.sk/toolbox/juls.html

                                        Curt B.

                                        > There is one telephone listing for Janu, (in Eastern Slovakia),  Priekopa, East of Sobrance
                                        >

                                        > ________________________________

                                      • Tom Potsko
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                          Peter,

                                          I've had much better luck with ancestors in Slovakia, starting with LDS
                                          microfilms, then the browsing of online familysearch.org records, but I've
                                          yet to find a single Irish ancestor beyond my great great grandparents, and
                                          no Irish baptismal or marital records on them. You have been very fortunate
                                          in your choice of ancestors. Thanks a lot, Tom

                                        • htcstech
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                            Tom? You made me laugh!
                                            "You have been very fortunate
                                            in your choice of ancestors"

                                            I suppose that's why I've been poor and struggling most of my life. I wish
                                            I had some old Esterhazy money stashed away somewhere, and the closest any
                                            of my peasant ancestors got to nobility was a female who married a local
                                            noble around 1800. I don't think there's anything left in the trust fund
                                            though :)

                                            Peter The Peasant

                                          • Tom Potsko
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 23, 2012
                                              Peter,

                                              Even the poor find things in life that bring them joy, be it a good life
                                              mate, loving children, grandchildren, constant work and enough food and
                                              shelter to live comfortably, genealogical success, music, a strong drink
                                              when required, and the ability to break message group rules - sorry Bill.
                                              I've had desk jobs(IT) for over 35 years and now I'm a part time janitor.
                                              Couldn't get back into my field. Tom