Re: finding info in the "old country"

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., marilyn murphy <mjmurph99@y...> wrote:
      > I am new to the group.
      > My Slovak ancestors are Julianna SAKSA & Stefan
      > LEDVAK. They are my great-grandparents. Both immigrated
      > in the 1880's and settled first in Bridgeport CT where
      > they met & married. Julianna was a mere 16. They had 8
      > children, most were born in Connecticut but the last 1 or
      > 2 were born in Scranton PA, where Stefan worked as a
      > cabinet maker for a compnay that made piano's.
      > I believe Stefan's parents were John LEDVAK and
      > Rozalia KOVALY they are from Brezovica and/or Torysa.
      >
      > Stefan had a brother, Andrew, who also immigrated and
      > his wife was Catherine WESFARI. I do not know if they
      > had children. And I beleive a sister named Anna or
      > Frances Anna.
      > Julianna or Julia is a bit of a mystery, she told
      > stories when I was younger that led the family to believe
      > that she was from Bratislava but we are unable to confirm
      > this and I need direction on how to do this.
      > I also need direction on how to write and whom to
      > address such a leeter to, in the Brezovica area to find
      > out more information on my ancestors.
      > In searching on the internet I have come across only
      > 2 "LEDVAK" names, one gentleman - Jozef is apparently a
      > guide or an official with the international blind skiers
      > association and the latest named Radovan has some
      > connection with Kosice but since I do not read the Slovak
      > language I am at a total loss as to just what I was
      > looking at.
      > Can anyone offer information or suggestions on how to
      > proceed?
      > Marilyn J Murphy

      There are two Brezovica located in Slovakia, one in western
      Slovakia and one in eastern Slovakia.

      Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
      part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
      Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

      Torysa (Sk) Tarca (H) suggests eastern Slovakia near Pres^ov.

      The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish registers of births, marriages
      and deaths (1838-1895) for Brezovice nad Torysou, Slovakia; formerly
      Berzevicze, Sáros megye (county), Hungary and surrounding villages.
      Text in Latin and Hungarian.

      film #
      1792031
      1792032
      1792033

      Hungarian English
      rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
      ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
      izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

      The G.C. parish church registers for Brezovice nad Torysou (1810-1907)
      are listed under Tichy' Potok (Stelbach), Slovakia.
      Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Church Slavonic.

      film #
      1794066

      Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

      LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

      The Slovakia telephone directory lists 1 surname Ledvák and
      2 surname Saksa under Pres^ov.
      Today, I doubt one can make a living in a Slovakia village like Brezovica. =

      Looks like the right region.
    • CPRAMUKA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2001
        Marilyn,

        Brezovica is listed in the LDS records as Brezovice nad Torysou. The village
        is just west of Lipany on the Torysa River. The LDS film numbers for
        Brezovica are: 1792031, 1792032 and 1792033. Most of the information filmed
        covers the years between about 1850 and 1900. Check out the LDS website for
        specific dates for each film. The film text is Latin and Hungarian. You could
        probably find the Torysa listings also at the LDS website. Torysa is just up
        river from Brezovica.

        As far as finding birthplaces for your great-grandparents, there is a
        possibility it was listed in the Bridgeport birth records. At certain times
        in the early 1900s they put down actual town names for the parents. So if you
        are lucky, yours might be one of these records. Also the names were
        misspelled quite often and finding entries for different children helps to
        figure out which town they were trying to spell.

        Good Luck,

        D. Taylor
        CPRAMUKA@...