finding info in the "old country"

  • marilyn murphy
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2001
      I am new to the group.
      My Slovak ancestors are Julianna SAKSA & Stefan
      LEDVAK. They are my great-grandparents. Both immigrated
      in the 1880's and settled first in Bridgeport CT where
      they met & married. Julianna was a mere 16. They had 8
      children, most were born in Connecticut but the last 1 or
      2 were born in Scranton PA, where Stefan worked as a
      cabinet maker for a compnay that made piano's.
      I believe Stefan's parents were John LEDVAK and
      Rozalia KOVALY they are from Brezovica and/or Torysa.

      Stefan had a brother, Andrew, who also immigrated and
      his wife was Catherine WESFARI. I do not know if they
      had children. And I beleive a sister named Anna or
      Frances Anna.
      Julianna or Julia is a bit of a mystery, she told
      stories when I was younger that led the family to believe
      that she was from Bratislava but we are unable to confirm
      this and I need direction on how to do this.
      I also need direction on how to write and whom to
      address such a leeter to, in the Brezovica area to find
      out more information on my ancestors.
      In searching on the internet I have come across only
      2 "LEDVAK" names, one gentleman - Jozef is apparently a
      guide or an official with the international blind skiers
      association and the latest named Radovan has some
      connection with Kosice but since I do not read the Slovak
      language I am at a total loss as to just what I was
      looking at.
      Can anyone offer information or suggestions on how to
      proceed?
      Marilyn J Murphy

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., marilyn murphy <mjmurph99@y...> wrote:
        > I am new to the group.
        > My Slovak ancestors are Julianna SAKSA & Stefan
        > LEDVAK. They are my great-grandparents. Both immigrated
        > in the 1880's and settled first in Bridgeport CT where
        > they met & married. Julianna was a mere 16. They had 8
        > children, most were born in Connecticut but the last 1 or
        > 2 were born in Scranton PA, where Stefan worked as a
        > cabinet maker for a compnay that made piano's.
        > I believe Stefan's parents were John LEDVAK and
        > Rozalia KOVALY they are from Brezovica and/or Torysa.
        >
        > Stefan had a brother, Andrew, who also immigrated and
        > his wife was Catherine WESFARI. I do not know if they
        > had children. And I beleive a sister named Anna or
        > Frances Anna.
        > Julianna or Julia is a bit of a mystery, she told
        > stories when I was younger that led the family to believe
        > that she was from Bratislava but we are unable to confirm
        > this and I need direction on how to do this.
        > I also need direction on how to write and whom to
        > address such a leeter to, in the Brezovica area to find
        > out more information on my ancestors.
        > In searching on the internet I have come across only
        > 2 "LEDVAK" names, one gentleman - Jozef is apparently a
        > guide or an official with the international blind skiers
        > association and the latest named Radovan has some
        > connection with Kosice but since I do not read the Slovak
        > language I am at a total loss as to just what I was
        > looking at.
        > Can anyone offer information or suggestions on how to
        > proceed?
        > Marilyn J Murphy

        There are two Brezovica located in Slovakia, one in western
        Slovakia and one in eastern Slovakia.

        Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
        part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
        part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
        Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

        Torysa (Sk) Tarca (H) suggests eastern Slovakia near Pres^ov.

        The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish registers of births, marriages
        and deaths (1838-1895) for Brezovice nad Torysou, Slovakia; formerly
        Berzevicze, Sáros megye (county), Hungary and surrounding villages.
        Text in Latin and Hungarian.

        film #
        1792031
        1792032
        1792033

        Hungarian English
        rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
        ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
        izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

        The G.C. parish church registers for Brezovice nad Torysou (1810-1907)
        are listed under Tichy' Potok (Stelbach), Slovakia.
        Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Church Slavonic.

        film #
        1794066

        Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

        LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

        The Slovakia telephone directory lists 1 surname Ledvák and
        2 surname Saksa under Pres^ov.
        Today, I doubt one can make a living in a Slovakia village like Brezovica. =

        Looks like the right region.
      • CPRAMUKA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2001
          Marilyn,

          Brezovica is listed in the LDS records as Brezovice nad Torysou. The village
          is just west of Lipany on the Torysa River. The LDS film numbers for
          Brezovica are: 1792031, 1792032 and 1792033. Most of the information filmed
          covers the years between about 1850 and 1900. Check out the LDS website for
          specific dates for each film. The film text is Latin and Hungarian. You could
          probably find the Torysa listings also at the LDS website. Torysa is just up
          river from Brezovica.

          As far as finding birthplaces for your great-grandparents, there is a
          possibility it was listed in the Bridgeport birth records. At certain times
          in the early 1900s they put down actual town names for the parents. So if you
          are lucky, yours might be one of these records. Also the names were
          misspelled quite often and finding entries for different children helps to
          figure out which town they were trying to spell.

          Good Luck,

          D. Taylor
          CPRAMUKA@...