Re: [S-R] Re: need help looking

  • connie ruley
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2001
      thank you for the info. that is the same i got on the
      menifest. just wonder if it was 2 diff. cities. how
      would i fine out if there might be still some family
      still over there? thank connie

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., frankur@a... wrote:
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., connie ruley <connie_ruley@y...> wrote:
        > > hi i,m trying to fine out the diffrence between to
        > > names of cities listed on my grandparents manifest. if
        > > anyone could help i would really app. it
        > > 1)regchernszka,hungry 2)regeteruszka,hungry.
        > > grandparents came over one in 1912 and the other came
        > > over in 1913. hoping to hear from anyone that might be
        > > able to help. thank you connie
        > > p.s. if anyone also could tell me how i might be able
        > > to fine out if any one with the same last name
        > > (kazsimir)
        > >
        > Since the 1912 listing for Regeteruszka (H) formerly in Abaúj-Torna
        > megye, Hungary; later Ruskov, okres (district) Kos^ice-Vidiek,
        > Slovakia was correct I looked at the 1913 entry.
        >
        > The 1913 Hungary Gazetteer had listed only Regeteruszka.
        >
        > German ship were notorious for misspelled surnames and place names.
        > While researching one surname over the years in the EIR found the
        > Last Residence listed under 13 different spellings.
        > All for the same place name and spelled correctly under a
        > 14th spelling (Hungarian)
        >
        > # 10 Erzsebet Kazsimir, age 22, married, Slovak Regchernszka ?
        > # 11 János Kazsimir, age 3, Slovak Regchernszka ?
        >
        > Mother and child
        > going respectively to husband and father
        > address I believe was in PA

        After looking at the 1913 ship manifest for mother and child Kazsimir,
        I believe the address in the U.S. was Daisytown PA.
        Daisytown was located near Brownsville PA, a bituminous (soft) coal
        mining region near Pittsburgh in WS PA.
        Were any surnames coal miners ?