Re: Latin ?

  • JArcher360@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 1999
      To Judi: found a web site and got the meaning of most of the words about
      which I had a question. For everyone, further questions about the old church
      records. There were pages of script in one of the volumes, all in Latin, and
      only recognized Regis Hungaria . Would these have been proclamations of the
      King of Hungary? My other thought was that they could have been church
      proclamations. The records we have go back to 1712, the second entry in that
      journal was one of my ancestors. Any suggestions as to where one goes next
      for information after the church records are exhausted? Caroline
    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 1999
        Caroline:

        The LDS has "Geneological Word Lists" for different language that are
        handy and very cheap. I bought the one for Latin - and found the answer
        to the Slovak months in their listing. FOr example they show November
        as November, 9ber,IXber. Allowing for a change to the Slovak or
        Hungarian "bris" in place of "ber" and the problem issolved - avter the
        good answers from S-W and here.

        They also list regis as royal, regnum as kingdom, regimine pedestre as
        infantry regiment. I would take Regis Hungaria as Royal Hungaria, as
        today we would say Republic of Hungary (if indeed it is a republic).

        Ron

        JArcher360@... wrote:

        > From: JArcher360@...
        >
        > To Judi: found a web site and got the meaning of most of the words about
        > which I had a question. For everyone, further questions about the old church
        > records. There were pages of script in one of the volumes, all in Latin, and
        > only recognized Regis Hungaria . Would these have been proclamations of the
        > King of Hungary? My other thought was that they could have been church
        > proclamations. The records we have go back to 1712, the second entry in that
        > journal was one of my ancestors. Any suggestions as to where one goes next
        > for information after the church records are exhausted? Caroline

      • Nevada Custom Urns
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 1999
          Hi

          My name is JoAnn Cox. I have been looking for someone to translate bohemian
          into english. I have some death notices that I can't read. My mother could
          read and write bohemian but she passed away in 1995. Too little to late.
          Should have gotten interested in geneology sooner. My grandfather was
          Joseph Kyhos and my grandmother was Anna M. Cervenka. They were both born
          in 1881 in Pecinov, Nove Stretsche sorry about the spelling. About an hour
          out of Prague. I am looking for any help I can get with their geneology .
          Talk to you soon.

          JoAnn
          nvcustmurn@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 1999
            I don't know where you are located, but one suggestion I have is to try a
            high school. We have an exchange student from Slovakia this year, last year
            we had one from the Czech Republic. The young people do sometimes have
            trouble with the old language. Try Slovak World--their traffic is higher and
            someone can probably help from there.