Latin ?

  • Judy (and Dr. Joe ) Quashnock
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 1999
      natae - by birth (female, male is natu)

      maritus - husband or wife, more generally a lover

      colonus - (a bit more difficult) a colonist but could mean a farmer along
      the lines of a share cropper

      The endings are male so the term probably applies to the great grandfather
      indicating that he, the husband of Anna, was a farmer without land, the
      German term was "inmann" meaning he did not own a farm.

      If you could supply the complete text, it may make be easier to translate it
      in the context of the document.

      I hope this helps.

      Dr. "Q"

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 1999
        To Judi: found a web site and got the meaning of most of the words about
        which I had a question. For everyone, further questions about the old church
        records. There were pages of script in one of the volumes, all in Latin, and
        only recognized Regis Hungaria . Would these have been proclamations of the
        King of Hungary? My other thought was that they could have been church
        proclamations. The records we have go back to 1712, the second entry in that
        journal was one of my ancestors. Any suggestions as to where one goes next
        for information after the church records are exhausted? Caroline
      • Ron Matviyak
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 1999
          Caroline:

          The LDS has "Geneological Word Lists" for different language that are
          handy and very cheap. I bought the one for Latin - and found the answer
          to the Slovak months in their listing. FOr example they show November
          as November, 9ber,IXber. Allowing for a change to the Slovak or
          Hungarian "bris" in place of "ber" and the problem issolved - avter the
          good answers from S-W and here.

          They also list regis as royal, regnum as kingdom, regimine pedestre as
          infantry regiment. I would take Regis Hungaria as Royal Hungaria, as
          today we would say Republic of Hungary (if indeed it is a republic).

          Ron

          JArcher360@... wrote:

          > From: JArcher360@...
          >
          > To Judi: found a web site and got the meaning of most of the words about
          > which I had a question. For everyone, further questions about the old church
          > records. There were pages of script in one of the volumes, all in Latin, and
          > only recognized Regis Hungaria . Would these have been proclamations of the
          > King of Hungary? My other thought was that they could have been church
          > proclamations. The records we have go back to 1712, the second entry in that
          > journal was one of my ancestors. Any suggestions as to where one goes next
          > for information after the church records are exhausted? Caroline

        • Nevada Custom Urns
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 1999
            Hi

            My name is JoAnn Cox. I have been looking for someone to translate bohemian
            into english. I have some death notices that I can't read. My mother could
            read and write bohemian but she passed away in 1995. Too little to late.
            Should have gotten interested in geneology sooner. My grandfather was
            Joseph Kyhos and my grandmother was Anna M. Cervenka. They were both born
            in 1881 in Pecinov, Nove Stretsche sorry about the spelling. About an hour
            out of Prague. I am looking for any help I can get with their geneology .
            Talk to you soon.

            JoAnn
            nvcustmurn@...

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 1999
              I don't know where you are located, but one suggestion I have is to try a
              high school. We have an exchange student from Slovakia this year, last year
              we had one from the Czech Republic. The young people do sometimes have
              trouble with the old language. Try Slovak World--their traffic is higher and
              someone can probably help from there.