Latin ?

  • JArcher360@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 1999
      Question for the group: have a copy of the church record that includes death
      date of my great grandfather. It has three lines in the block: Georgius
      Gradeczky underneath that is Anna natae Turek, his wife. but also in the
      block is maritus colonus. What does that mean? Caroline
    • Judy (and Dr. Joe ) Quashnock
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 1999
        natae - by birth (female, male is natu)

        maritus - husband or wife, more generally a lover

        colonus - (a bit more difficult) a colonist but could mean a farmer along
        the lines of a share cropper

        The endings are male so the term probably applies to the great grandfather
        indicating that he, the husband of Anna, was a farmer without land, the
        German term was "inmann" meaning he did not own a farm.

        If you could supply the complete text, it may make be easier to translate it
        in the context of the document.

        I hope this helps.

        Dr. "Q"

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 1999
          To Judi: found a web site and got the meaning of most of the words about
          which I had a question. For everyone, further questions about the old church
          records. There were pages of script in one of the volumes, all in Latin, and
          only recognized Regis Hungaria . Would these have been proclamations of the
          King of Hungary? My other thought was that they could have been church
          proclamations. The records we have go back to 1712, the second entry in that
          journal was one of my ancestors. Any suggestions as to where one goes next
          for information after the church records are exhausted? Caroline
        • Ron Matviyak
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 1999
            Caroline:

            The LDS has "Geneological Word Lists" for different language that are
            handy and very cheap. I bought the one for Latin - and found the answer
            to the Slovak months in their listing. FOr example they show November
            as November, 9ber,IXber. Allowing for a change to the Slovak or
            Hungarian "bris" in place of "ber" and the problem issolved - avter the
            good answers from S-W and here.

            They also list regis as royal, regnum as kingdom, regimine pedestre as
            infantry regiment. I would take Regis Hungaria as Royal Hungaria, as
            today we would say Republic of Hungary (if indeed it is a republic).

            Ron

            JArcher360@... wrote:

            > From: JArcher360@...
            >
            > To Judi: found a web site and got the meaning of most of the words about
            > which I had a question. For everyone, further questions about the old church
            > records. There were pages of script in one of the volumes, all in Latin, and
            > only recognized Regis Hungaria . Would these have been proclamations of the
            > King of Hungary? My other thought was that they could have been church
            > proclamations. The records we have go back to 1712, the second entry in that
            > journal was one of my ancestors. Any suggestions as to where one goes next
            > for information after the church records are exhausted? Caroline

          • Nevada Custom Urns
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 1999
              Hi

              My name is JoAnn Cox. I have been looking for someone to translate bohemian
              into english. I have some death notices that I can't read. My mother could
              read and write bohemian but she passed away in 1995. Too little to late.
              Should have gotten interested in geneology sooner. My grandfather was
              Joseph Kyhos and my grandmother was Anna M. Cervenka. They were both born
              in 1881 in Pecinov, Nove Stretsche sorry about the spelling. About an hour
              out of Prague. I am looking for any help I can get with their geneology .
              Talk to you soon.

              JoAnn
              nvcustmurn@...

            • JArcher360@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 1999
                I don't know where you are located, but one suggestion I have is to try a
                high school. We have an exchange student from Slovakia this year, last year
                we had one from the Czech Republic. The young people do sometimes have
                trouble with the old language. Try Slovak World--their traffic is higher and
                someone can probably help from there.