Re: [S-R] "Single" Question

  • Milan Huba
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
      Back in 1945, good Slovak girls, at least those who lived in villages,
      stayed at home until they got married. I have never heard of this as
      crippling experience.

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
        When I responded previously, I was under the impression that we were talking
        about a woman who was living in Slovakia. I lived in Slovakia after the war
        and base upon my limited experience in a small village, young ladies
        generally did not leave home until they got married. Of course, here in
        America everything was and is different.

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 7, 2001
          Yes, you graduated the same year as my mother -- and
          your story sounds exactly like her girlfriend's --
          except you were much more willing to give details --
          excellent description and answer to my questions --
          thanks so much for sharing. Glad I'm a modern woman
          -- cause if I had lived even 50 years ago, I'd have
          been on the front page of the paper for doing every
          "unexpected" thing possible for my independence. Or
          been grounded to the attic or apple cellar probably,
          lol.

          Caye

          --- cecearcher@... wrote:
          > Hi Caye,
          >
          > I graduated from high school in 1945 and it was
          > expected that the single
          > children if they didn't go to college would stay at
          > home until married.
          >

          > If the children did leave home, many stayed in safe
          > boarding houses where
          > room and broad was provided , Strict rules were
          > kept. My nephew was so
          > surprised at the concept of boarding houses when his
          > father told him of
          > his leaving home in 1942.
          >
          > My children thought it wasn't cool to live at home
          > after college but some
          > did because of the economical factor.
          >
          > My mother received a scholarship to college in 1906
          > but was unable to go
          > to college because women at that time were not
          > encouraged to go to
          > college.
          >
          > WW2 changed many things.
          >
          > and now in 2001 we see so many different life
          > styles,
          >

          > My grandmother was reluctant to leave Spisska Nova
          > Ves to join her
          > husband who fled the Army conscription in 1882
          > because she didn't want to
          > leave her family. Finally she decided she should
          > join her husband in
          > Michigan so brought her brothers with her. My dad
          > was born in Spisska
          > Nova Ves.
          > in1882.
          >
          > WE never knew if his father had siblings because of
          > the recriminations
          > that his family would suffer if he returned to his
          > home town. So I am
          > still searching for GAJAN which is my family name.
          >
          > Cecilia

          Find a job, post your resume.
          http://careers.yahoo.com
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 7, 2001
            Thanks Jean, I guess my mom's friend's "it just wasn't
            done" really was the correct response. Glad it's
            "done" these days!

            Caye

            Find a job, post your resume.
            http://careers.yahoo.com
          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 7, 2001
              Milan:

              I didn't intend to infer that living with one's
              parents until married crippled everyone -- but my
              mother really never was capable of living even for 5
              minutes on her own -- so that is what I meant by her
              being crippled by the experience. I remember one time
              shortly after my father died, she wanted me to come
              over and change a light bulb and would not take "I'll
              come Saturday" for an answer, finally I had to explain
              that changing a light bulb was not "man's work." She
              reluctantly waited for me on Saturday, but that pretty
              much is a classic example of what I meant by my
              mother's crip. I'm sure most women are capable of
              changing a light bulb. There are 100's of other
              examples, but I think you get the picture.

              Caye

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 7, 2001
                Ah, Thanks Milan, so here in America there were some
                singles who left and got apartments, dorms, etc.? I'd
                be interested to know how that was viewed by the rest,
                according to the explaination I received from mom's
                friend, it was embarassing to the parents, would you
                agree?

                Caye

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 9, 2001
                  I understand. Thanks for the clarification..,.