Re: [S-R] Surname Tichy, Strazov, CZ

  • Milan Huba
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 6, 2001
      Strazov could be Staskov, a small town near Cadca. Was your grandmother
      really quiet?

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 6, 2001
        Is Cadca near Zilina? As that is the place that is listed on her
        immigration records. My dad wrote Strazov down phonetically years before she
        died when he quized her about her family; she said Zilina was the nearest
        large town.

        And yes, she was always very quite.

        Susan
      • Milan Huba
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 7, 2001
          Yes, Cadca is approximately 20 km from Zilina.

        • RdDrgan@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2001
            Can you tell me why you suspected she was quite? I am curious.

            Susan
          • John
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2001
              At 12:05 AM 11/8/01 -0500, you wrote:
              > Can you tell me why you suspected she was quite? I am curious.
              >
              > Susan

              The translation of "tichy" is quiet

              John
            • Milan Huba
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2001
                "Tichy" in the Slovak language is a variation of the word "quiet".
                > Can you tell me why you suspected she was quite? I am curious.
                >
                > Susan

              • ppik900
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 15 7:48 AM
                  In Zilina are living many of Tichy´s. If you like some research to
                  do in Zilina, write me on address ppik900@...
                  Peter

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., RdDrgan@a... wrote:
                  > I was wondering if anyone on this list could help me find
                  records for my
                  > grandmother who was born in Strazov, Czechoslovakia in 1905. I am
                  also
                  > having a hard time finding a map of the place as it is in modern
                  day. Her
                  > name was Maria Tichy and her fathers name was Stefan Tichy. All I
                  know about
                  > her mother (actually stepmother) is that her name was Agnes; her
                  real mother
                  > died young. Her brothers and sisters names were (this is spelled
                  > phonetically) Anna, Gisela, Ilona, Matelka, Stefan, & Yola.
                  >
                  > Maria arrived in America aboard the SS Seydlitz in 1923 and
                  lived in
                  > Canton, Ohio for about a year with an Uncle Andrew Vrsau. She
                  then moved to
                  > Philadelphia, Pa where she met and married my grandfather,
                  Sevastian Babak.

                  > I have not been able to find this uncle or anything to do with
                  her
                  > relatives in CZ. I have pictures of the family back home but that
                  is all.

                  > Thanks for any pointers.
                  >
                  > Susan Faught
                • John M.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 16 11:03 PM
                    At 02:48 PM 8/15/02 +0000, you wrote:
                    >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., RdDrgan@a... wrote:
                    > > I was wondering if anyone on this list could help me find records
                    > for my > grandmother who was born in Strazov, Czechoslovakia in 1905. I
                    > am also having a hard time finding a map of the place as it is in modern
                    > day.

                    Strazov is just a kilometer or two west of Zilina on the river Vah I
                    believe. It shows up in the "Podrobny Auto Atlas" but not on Mapquest or
                    Expedia. I did find it shown here:

                    http://www.mapyoscar.sk/mesta/zilina/?l=3&k=0

                    I posted the following in 2001:

                    "....... Using the online SKR phone directory, I found 24 Tichy' (male) and
                    21 Ticha (female) in Z^ilina but none in Strazov which is just a couple of
                    Km NW of Z^ilina. The birth marriage and death records would be in
                    Z^ilina. The location would depend on their religion.

                    If you go to http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
                    and search on Zilina, you may find something about the history of the area.
                    Also, go to http://www.zilina.sk/en/default.htm which is Z^ilina's
                    homepage. It has a 3 page history of the town."

                    Searching on Zilina at the site above produced:

                    Place
                    Slovakia, Zilina

                    Topics
                    Slovakia, Zilina - Church records
                    Slovakia, Zilina - History
                    Slovakia, Zilina - Maps

                    John
                  • Konekta
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 17 8:37 AM
                      Just a little correction.
                      Vital records after 1895 will be in the Town Hall, disregarding the religion, since they are the civil ones.
                      Zilina churches do not have such old records.Their start maybe with 1920 or later.
                      To get such records, one has to write to the Slovak embassy or hire a genealogist like me:-)
                      The cost would be roughly the same.
                      Vladimir
                      > > I was wondering if anyone on this list could help me find records
                      > for my > grandmother who was born in Strazov, Czechoslovakia in 1905. I
                      > am also having a hard time finding a map of the place as it is in modern
                      > day.

                      Strazov is just a kilometer or two west of Zilina on the river Vah I
                      believe. It shows up in the "Podrobny Auto Atlas" but not on Mapquest or
                      Expedia. I did find it shown here:

                      http://www.mapyoscar.sk/mesta/zilina/?l=3&k=0

                      I posted the following in 2001:

                      "....... Using the online SKR phone directory, I found 24 Tichy' (male) and
                      21 Ticha (female) in Z^ilina but none in Strazov which is just a couple of
                      Km NW of Z^ilina. The birth marriage and death records would be in
                      Z^ilina. The location would depend on their religion.

                      If you go to http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
                      and search on Zilina, you may find something about the history of the area.
                      Also, go to http://www.zilina.sk/en/default.htm which is Z^ilina's
                      homepage. It has a 3 page history of the town."

                      Searching on Zilina at the site above produced:

                      Place
                      Slovakia, Zilina

                      Topics
                      Slovakia, Zilina - Church records
                      Slovakia, Zilina - History
                      Slovakia, Zilina - Maps

                      John

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • RdDrgan@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 20 11:06 PM
                        Thank you all for responding to my query; I kinda found Zilina on maps but I
                        was not certain which place to look for records or ancestors since the
                        changes in the country. Every map I seemed to bring up the boundary was
                        unclear to me. I have been doing this for five years and something this
                        simple stumped me for so long! Thanks again!

                        Susan Faught