Re: [S-R] "Single" Question

  • cecearcher@juno.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
      Hi Caye,

      I graduated from high school in 1945 and it was expected that the single
      children if they didn't go to college would stay at home until married.

      If the children did leave home, many stayed in safe boarding houses where
      room and broad was provided , Strict rules were kept. My nephew was so
      surprised at the concept of boarding houses when his father told him of
      his leaving home in 1942.

      My children thought it wasn't cool to live at home after college but some
      did because of the economical factor.

      My mother received a scholarship to college in 1906 but was unable to go
      to college because women at that time were not encouraged to go to
      college.

      WW2 changed many things.

      and now in 2001 we see so many different life styles,

      My grandmother was reluctant to leave Spisska Nova Ves to join her
      husband who fled the Army conscription in 1882 because she didn't want to
      leave her family. Finally she decided she should join her husband in
      Michigan so brought her brothers with her. My dad was born in Spisska
      Nova Ves.
      in1882.

      WE never knew if his father had siblings because of the recriminations
      that his family would suffer if he returned to his home town. So I am
      still searching for GAJAN which is my family name.

      Cecilia
    • jean
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
        In my family, and I believe in our hometowns (Coal mining
        villages in SW PA) everyone lived at home until marriage,
        male and female, even to my generation (I graduated high
        school 1955, my brother in '59), unless they went off to
        college, and I can't remember many who did. My grandparents
        were Carpatho-Rusyn from region now in Ukraine. People in
        our "coal-patch town", were mainly Slovak, Hungarian,
        Rusyn.

        jean

        Caye Caswick wrote:

        > Sorry, my mother graduated from High School in 1945.
        > Her mother would have been about 43-ish at the time
        > and her father 52-ish. Mother from Slovakia and
        > father from Russia. Hope that helps.
        >
        > Caye
        >
        > --- BobHORGOS@... wrote:
        > >
        > > In a message dated 11/5/01 2:14:21 PM,
        > > ccaswick@... writes:
        > >
        > > << I was corresponding with an old friend of my
        > > mother's.
        > > I had mentioned that my mother never living the
        > > "single" life (you know, either a dorm or an
        > > apartment
        > > prior to marriage) had kind of "crippled" her
        > > adulthood. My mother's friend replied "That just
        > > wasn't done -- not even single men." >>
        > >
        > > It would be helpful if you indicated the period of
        > > time you are referring to.
        > > When would your mother have been in the late teens
        > > or early 20s?

      • Milan Huba
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
          Back in 1945, good Slovak girls, at least those who lived in villages,
          stayed at home until they got married. I have never heard of this as
          crippling experience.

          > Sorry, my mother graduated from High School in 1945.
          > Her mother would have been about 43-ish at the time
          > and her father 52-ish. Mother from Slovakia and
          > father from Russia. Hope that helps.
          >
          > Caye
          >

          > --- BobHORGOS@... wrote:
          > >
          > > In a message dated 11/5/01 2:14:21 PM,
          > > ccaswick@... writes:
          > >
          > > << I was corresponding with an old friend of my
          > > mother's.
          > > I had mentioned that my mother never living the
          > > "single" life (you know, either a dorm or an
          > > apartment
          > > prior to marriage) had kind of "crippled" her
          > > adulthood. My mother's friend replied "That just
          > > wasn't done -- not even single men." >>
          > >
          > > It would be helpful if you indicated the period of
          > > time you are referring to.
          > > When would your mother have been in the late teens
          > > or early 20s?

        • Milan Huba
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
            When I responded previously, I was under the impression that we were talking
            about a woman who was living in Slovakia. I lived in Slovakia after the war
            and base upon my limited experience in a small village, young ladies
            generally did not leave home until they got married. Of course, here in
            America everything was and is different.

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 7, 2001
              Yes, you graduated the same year as my mother -- and
              your story sounds exactly like her girlfriend's --
              except you were much more willing to give details --
              excellent description and answer to my questions --
              thanks so much for sharing. Glad I'm a modern woman
              -- cause if I had lived even 50 years ago, I'd have
              been on the front page of the paper for doing every
              "unexpected" thing possible for my independence. Or
              been grounded to the attic or apple cellar probably,
              lol.

              Caye

              --- cecearcher@... wrote:
              > Hi Caye,
              >
              > I graduated from high school in 1945 and it was
              > expected that the single
              > children if they didn't go to college would stay at
              > home until married.
              >

              > If the children did leave home, many stayed in safe
              > boarding houses where
              > room and broad was provided , Strict rules were
              > kept. My nephew was so
              > surprised at the concept of boarding houses when his
              > father told him of
              > his leaving home in 1942.
              >
              > My children thought it wasn't cool to live at home
              > after college but some
              > did because of the economical factor.
              >
              > My mother received a scholarship to college in 1906
              > but was unable to go
              > to college because women at that time were not
              > encouraged to go to
              > college.
              >
              > WW2 changed many things.
              >
              > and now in 2001 we see so many different life
              > styles,
              >

              > My grandmother was reluctant to leave Spisska Nova
              > Ves to join her
              > husband who fled the Army conscription in 1882
              > because she didn't want to
              > leave her family. Finally she decided she should
              > join her husband in
              > Michigan so brought her brothers with her. My dad
              > was born in Spisska
              > Nova Ves.
              > in1882.
              >
              > WE never knew if his father had siblings because of
              > the recriminations
              > that his family would suffer if he returned to his
              > home town. So I am
              > still searching for GAJAN which is my family name.
              >
              > Cecilia

              Find a job, post your resume.
              http://careers.yahoo.com
            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 7, 2001
                Thanks Jean, I guess my mom's friend's "it just wasn't
                done" really was the correct response. Glad it's
                "done" these days!

                Caye

                Find a job, post your resume.
                http://careers.yahoo.com
              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 7, 2001
                  Milan:

                  I didn't intend to infer that living with one's
                  parents until married crippled everyone -- but my
                  mother really never was capable of living even for 5
                  minutes on her own -- so that is what I meant by her
                  being crippled by the experience. I remember one time
                  shortly after my father died, she wanted me to come
                  over and change a light bulb and would not take "I'll
                  come Saturday" for an answer, finally I had to explain
                  that changing a light bulb was not "man's work." She
                  reluctantly waited for me on Saturday, but that pretty
                  much is a classic example of what I meant by my
                  mother's crip. I'm sure most women are capable of
                  changing a light bulb. There are 100's of other
                  examples, but I think you get the picture.

                  Caye

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 7, 2001
                    Ah, Thanks Milan, so here in America there were some
                    singles who left and got apartments, dorms, etc.? I'd
                    be interested to know how that was viewed by the rest,
                    according to the explaination I received from mom's
                    friend, it was embarassing to the parents, would you
                    agree?

                    Caye

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 9, 2001
                      I understand. Thanks for the clarification..,.