Re: [S-R] "Single" Question

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
      Sorry, my mother graduated from High School in 1945.
      Her mother would have been about 43-ish at the time
      and her father 52-ish. Mother from Slovakia and
      father from Russia. Hope that helps.

      Caye

      --- BobHORGOS@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 11/5/01 2:14:21 PM,
      > ccaswick@... writes:
      >
      > << I was corresponding with an old friend of my
      > mother's.
      > I had mentioned that my mother never living the
      > "single" life (you know, either a dorm or an
      > apartment
      > prior to marriage) had kind of "crippled" her
      > adulthood. My mother's friend replied "That just
      > wasn't done -- not even single men." >>
      >
      > It would be helpful if you indicated the period of
      > time you are referring to.
      > When would your mother have been in the late teens
      > or early 20s?

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com
    • nancy hagen
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
        Caye
        It may have been having parents from the "old country" that would have been
        the basis of her not living in a dorm etc. At that time, many young women
        were away at college, work etc and many others stayed at home.
        My grandmother went away to college (all women's of course) in 1900-1903.
        From reading the rules it was very strict--but they had latin, greek etc
        etc. not easy courses.
        WWII changed many things in this country with women beginning to work
        outside the home more and more because of the war effort. Women decided they
        didn't want to stay at home as much after the men came home. They enjoyed
        the opportunities to work outside the home--
        Hope this is helpful Just some thoughts I had :>))
        Nancy
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
          Thanks Nancy, good response, wow, WWII; not all that
          long ago. Yes, I think because of women going to
          college in the early 1900's, I was curious to ask my
          question. Funny how you mention "didn't want to stay
          home when the men came home." Now, that's pretty
          funny. Again, thanks.

          Caye

          --- nancy hagen <mckayhagen@...> wrote:
          > Caye
          > It may have been having parents from the "old
          > country" that would have been
          > the basis of her not living in a dorm etc. At that
          > time, many young women
          > were away at college, work etc and many others
          > stayed at home.
          > My grandmother went away to college (all women's of
          > course) in 1900-1903.
          > From reading the rules it was very strict--but they
          > had latin, greek etc
          > etc. not easy courses.
          > WWII changed many things in this country with women
          > beginning to work
          > outside the home more and more because of the war
          > effort. Women decided they
          > didn't want to stay at home as much after the men
          > came home. They enjoyed
          > the opportunities to work outside the home--
          > Hope this is helpful Just some thoughts I had :>))
          > Nancy

          Find a job, post your resume.
          http://careers.yahoo.com
        • cecearcher@juno.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
            Hi Caye,

            I graduated from high school in 1945 and it was expected that the single
            children if they didn't go to college would stay at home until married.

            If the children did leave home, many stayed in safe boarding houses where
            room and broad was provided , Strict rules were kept. My nephew was so
            surprised at the concept of boarding houses when his father told him of
            his leaving home in 1942.

            My children thought it wasn't cool to live at home after college but some
            did because of the economical factor.

            My mother received a scholarship to college in 1906 but was unable to go
            to college because women at that time were not encouraged to go to
            college.

            WW2 changed many things.

            and now in 2001 we see so many different life styles,

            My grandmother was reluctant to leave Spisska Nova Ves to join her
            husband who fled the Army conscription in 1882 because she didn't want to
            leave her family. Finally she decided she should join her husband in
            Michigan so brought her brothers with her. My dad was born in Spisska
            Nova Ves.
            in1882.

            WE never knew if his father had siblings because of the recriminations
            that his family would suffer if he returned to his home town. So I am
            still searching for GAJAN which is my family name.

            Cecilia
          • jean
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
              In my family, and I believe in our hometowns (Coal mining
              villages in SW PA) everyone lived at home until marriage,
              male and female, even to my generation (I graduated high
              school 1955, my brother in '59), unless they went off to
              college, and I can't remember many who did. My grandparents
              were Carpatho-Rusyn from region now in Ukraine. People in
              our "coal-patch town", were mainly Slovak, Hungarian,
              Rusyn.

              jean

              Caye Caswick wrote:

              > Sorry, my mother graduated from High School in 1945.
              > Her mother would have been about 43-ish at the time
              > and her father 52-ish. Mother from Slovakia and
              > father from Russia. Hope that helps.
              >
              > Caye
              >
              > --- BobHORGOS@... wrote:
              > >
              > > In a message dated 11/5/01 2:14:21 PM,
              > > ccaswick@... writes:
              > >
              > > << I was corresponding with an old friend of my
              > > mother's.
              > > I had mentioned that my mother never living the
              > > "single" life (you know, either a dorm or an
              > > apartment
              > > prior to marriage) had kind of "crippled" her
              > > adulthood. My mother's friend replied "That just
              > > wasn't done -- not even single men." >>
              > >
              > > It would be helpful if you indicated the period of
              > > time you are referring to.
              > > When would your mother have been in the late teens
              > > or early 20s?

            • Milan Huba
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
                Back in 1945, good Slovak girls, at least those who lived in villages,
                stayed at home until they got married. I have never heard of this as
                crippling experience.

                > Sorry, my mother graduated from High School in 1945.
                > Her mother would have been about 43-ish at the time
                > and her father 52-ish. Mother from Slovakia and
                > father from Russia. Hope that helps.
                >
                > Caye
                >

                > --- BobHORGOS@... wrote:
                > >
                > > In a message dated 11/5/01 2:14:21 PM,
                > > ccaswick@... writes:
                > >
                > > << I was corresponding with an old friend of my
                > > mother's.
                > > I had mentioned that my mother never living the
                > > "single" life (you know, either a dorm or an
                > > apartment
                > > prior to marriage) had kind of "crippled" her
                > > adulthood. My mother's friend replied "That just
                > > wasn't done -- not even single men." >>
                > >
                > > It would be helpful if you indicated the period of
                > > time you are referring to.
                > > When would your mother have been in the late teens
                > > or early 20s?

              • Milan Huba
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 6, 2001
                  When I responded previously, I was under the impression that we were talking
                  about a woman who was living in Slovakia. I lived in Slovakia after the war
                  and base upon my limited experience in a small village, young ladies
                  generally did not leave home until they got married. Of course, here in
                  America everything was and is different.

                  > Thanks Nancy, good response, wow, WWII; not all that
                  > long ago. Yes, I think because of women going to
                  > college in the early 1900's, I was curious to ask my
                  > question. Funny how you mention "didn't want to stay
                  > home when the men came home." Now, that's pretty
                  > funny. Again, thanks.
                  >

                  > Caye
                  >

                  > --- nancy hagen <mckayhagen@...> wrote:
                  > > Caye
                  > > It may have been having parents from the "old
                  > > country" that would have been
                  > > the basis of her not living in a dorm etc. At that
                  > > time, many young women
                  > > were away at college, work etc and many others
                  > > stayed at home.
                  > > My grandmother went away to college (all women's of
                  > > course) in 1900-1903.
                  > > From reading the rules it was very strict--but they
                  > > had latin, greek etc
                  > > etc. not easy courses.
                  > > WWII changed many things in this country with women
                  > > beginning to work
                  > > outside the home more and more because of the war
                  > > effort. Women decided they
                  > > didn't want to stay at home as much after the men
                  > > came home. They enjoyed
                  > > the opportunities to work outside the home--
                  > > Hope this is helpful Just some thoughts I had :>))
                  > > Nancy

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 7, 2001
                    Yes, you graduated the same year as my mother -- and
                    your story sounds exactly like her girlfriend's --
                    except you were much more willing to give details --
                    excellent description and answer to my questions --
                    thanks so much for sharing. Glad I'm a modern woman
                    -- cause if I had lived even 50 years ago, I'd have
                    been on the front page of the paper for doing every
                    "unexpected" thing possible for my independence. Or
                    been grounded to the attic or apple cellar probably,
                    lol.

                    Caye

                    --- cecearcher@... wrote:
                    > Hi Caye,
                    >
                    > I graduated from high school in 1945 and it was
                    > expected that the single
                    > children if they didn't go to college would stay at
                    > home until married.
                    >

                    > If the children did leave home, many stayed in safe
                    > boarding houses where
                    > room and broad was provided , Strict rules were
                    > kept. My nephew was so
                    > surprised at the concept of boarding houses when his
                    > father told him of
                    > his leaving home in 1942.
                    >
                    > My children thought it wasn't cool to live at home
                    > after college but some
                    > did because of the economical factor.
                    >
                    > My mother received a scholarship to college in 1906
                    > but was unable to go
                    > to college because women at that time were not
                    > encouraged to go to
                    > college.
                    >
                    > WW2 changed many things.
                    >
                    > and now in 2001 we see so many different life
                    > styles,
                    >

                    > My grandmother was reluctant to leave Spisska Nova
                    > Ves to join her
                    > husband who fled the Army conscription in 1882
                    > because she didn't want to
                    > leave her family. Finally she decided she should
                    > join her husband in
                    > Michigan so brought her brothers with her. My dad
                    > was born in Spisska
                    > Nova Ves.
                    > in1882.
                    >
                    > WE never knew if his father had siblings because of
                    > the recriminations
                    > that his family would suffer if he returned to his
                    > home town. So I am
                    > still searching for GAJAN which is my family name.
                    >
                    > Cecilia

                    Find a job, post your resume.
                    http://careers.yahoo.com
                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 7, 2001
                      Thanks Jean, I guess my mom's friend's "it just wasn't
                      done" really was the correct response. Glad it's
                      "done" these days!

                      Caye

                      Find a job, post your resume.
                      http://careers.yahoo.com
                    • Caye Caswick
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 7, 2001
                        Milan:

                        I didn't intend to infer that living with one's
                        parents until married crippled everyone -- but my
                        mother really never was capable of living even for 5
                        minutes on her own -- so that is what I meant by her
                        being crippled by the experience. I remember one time
                        shortly after my father died, she wanted me to come
                        over and change a light bulb and would not take "I'll
                        come Saturday" for an answer, finally I had to explain
                        that changing a light bulb was not "man's work." She
                        reluctantly waited for me on Saturday, but that pretty
                        much is a classic example of what I meant by my
                        mother's crip. I'm sure most women are capable of
                        changing a light bulb. There are 100's of other
                        examples, but I think you get the picture.

                        Caye

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 7, 2001
                          Ah, Thanks Milan, so here in America there were some
                          singles who left and got apartments, dorms, etc.? I'd
                          be interested to know how that was viewed by the rest,
                          according to the explaination I received from mom's
                          friend, it was embarassing to the parents, would you
                          agree?

                          Caye

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 9, 2001
                            I understand. Thanks for the clarification..,.