Re: [S-R] Surname Tichy, Strazov, CZ

  • John
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2001
      At 12:39 AM 11/6/01 -0500, you wrote:
      > I was wondering if anyone on this list could help me find records for my
      >grandmother who was born in Strazov, Czechoslovakia in 1905.

      Strazov, I believe, is now considered a part of Zilina. The church
      registers are located in Zilina.

      From: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

      Do a search on Zilina at this site and you will find the LDS microfilm
      numbers for the church registers.

      > I am also having a hard time finding a map of the place as it is in
      > modern day.

      It is just a spot on the map on the northwest edges of Zilina in the
      "Podrobny Auto Atlas"

      >I have not been able to find this uncle or anything to do with her
      >relatives in CZ. I have pictures of the family back home but that is all.

      There are 24 Tichy listed in the phone directory for Zilina and none under
      Strazov. You can use the directory to get their address and phone numbers.

      http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html Slovak online phone directory.

      John
    • Milan Huba
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 6, 2001
        Strazov could be Staskov, a small town near Cadca. Was your grandmother
        really quiet?

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 6, 2001
          Is Cadca near Zilina? As that is the place that is listed on her
          immigration records. My dad wrote Strazov down phonetically years before she
          died when he quized her about her family; she said Zilina was the nearest
          large town.

          And yes, she was always very quite.

          Susan
        • Milan Huba
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2001
            Yes, Cadca is approximately 20 km from Zilina.

          • RdDrgan@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2001
              Can you tell me why you suspected she was quite? I am curious.

              Susan
            • John
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 7, 2001
                At 12:05 AM 11/8/01 -0500, you wrote:
                > Can you tell me why you suspected she was quite? I am curious.
                >
                > Susan

                The translation of "tichy" is quiet

                John
              • Milan Huba
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9, 2001
                  "Tichy" in the Slovak language is a variation of the word "quiet".
                  > Can you tell me why you suspected she was quite? I am curious.
                  >
                  > Susan

                • ppik900
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 15, 2002
                    In Zilina are living many of Tichy´s. If you like some research to
                    do in Zilina, write me on address ppik900@...
                    Peter

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., RdDrgan@a... wrote:
                    > I was wondering if anyone on this list could help me find
                    records for my
                    > grandmother who was born in Strazov, Czechoslovakia in 1905. I am
                    also
                    > having a hard time finding a map of the place as it is in modern
                    day. Her
                    > name was Maria Tichy and her fathers name was Stefan Tichy. All I
                    know about
                    > her mother (actually stepmother) is that her name was Agnes; her
                    real mother
                    > died young. Her brothers and sisters names were (this is spelled
                    > phonetically) Anna, Gisela, Ilona, Matelka, Stefan, & Yola.
                    >
                    > Maria arrived in America aboard the SS Seydlitz in 1923 and
                    lived in
                    > Canton, Ohio for about a year with an Uncle Andrew Vrsau. She
                    then moved to
                    > Philadelphia, Pa where she met and married my grandfather,
                    Sevastian Babak.

                    > I have not been able to find this uncle or anything to do with
                    her
                    > relatives in CZ. I have pictures of the family back home but that
                    is all.

                    > Thanks for any pointers.
                    >
                    > Susan Faught
                  • John M.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 16, 2002
                      At 02:48 PM 8/15/02 +0000, you wrote:
                      >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., RdDrgan@a... wrote:
                      > > I was wondering if anyone on this list could help me find records
                      > for my > grandmother who was born in Strazov, Czechoslovakia in 1905. I
                      > am also having a hard time finding a map of the place as it is in modern
                      > day.

                      Strazov is just a kilometer or two west of Zilina on the river Vah I
                      believe. It shows up in the "Podrobny Auto Atlas" but not on Mapquest or
                      Expedia. I did find it shown here:

                      http://www.mapyoscar.sk/mesta/zilina/?l=3&k=0

                      I posted the following in 2001:

                      "....... Using the online SKR phone directory, I found 24 Tichy' (male) and
                      21 Ticha (female) in Z^ilina but none in Strazov which is just a couple of
                      Km NW of Z^ilina. The birth marriage and death records would be in
                      Z^ilina. The location would depend on their religion.

                      If you go to http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
                      and search on Zilina, you may find something about the history of the area.
                      Also, go to http://www.zilina.sk/en/default.htm which is Z^ilina's
                      homepage. It has a 3 page history of the town."

                      Searching on Zilina at the site above produced:

                      Place
                      Slovakia, Zilina

                      Topics
                      Slovakia, Zilina - Church records
                      Slovakia, Zilina - History
                      Slovakia, Zilina - Maps

                      John
                    • Konekta
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 17, 2002
                        Just a little correction.
                        Vital records after 1895 will be in the Town Hall, disregarding the religion, since they are the civil ones.
                        Zilina churches do not have such old records.Their start maybe with 1920 or later.
                        To get such records, one has to write to the Slovak embassy or hire a genealogist like me:-)
                        The cost would be roughly the same.
                        Vladimir
                        > > I was wondering if anyone on this list could help me find records
                        > for my > grandmother who was born in Strazov, Czechoslovakia in 1905. I
                        > am also having a hard time finding a map of the place as it is in modern
                        > day.

                        Strazov is just a kilometer or two west of Zilina on the river Vah I
                        believe. It shows up in the "Podrobny Auto Atlas" but not on Mapquest or
                        Expedia. I did find it shown here:

                        http://www.mapyoscar.sk/mesta/zilina/?l=3&k=0

                        I posted the following in 2001:

                        "....... Using the online SKR phone directory, I found 24 Tichy' (male) and
                        21 Ticha (female) in Z^ilina but none in Strazov which is just a couple of
                        Km NW of Z^ilina. The birth marriage and death records would be in
                        Z^ilina. The location would depend on their religion.

                        If you go to http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
                        and search on Zilina, you may find something about the history of the area.
                        Also, go to http://www.zilina.sk/en/default.htm which is Z^ilina's
                        homepage. It has a 3 page history of the town."

                        Searching on Zilina at the site above produced:

                        Place
                        Slovakia, Zilina

                        Topics
                        Slovakia, Zilina - Church records
                        Slovakia, Zilina - History
                        Slovakia, Zilina - Maps

                        John

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • RdDrgan@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 20, 2002
                          Thank you all for responding to my query; I kinda found Zilina on maps but I
                          was not certain which place to look for records or ancestors since the
                          changes in the country. Every map I seemed to bring up the boundary was
                          unclear to me. I have been doing this for five years and something this
                          simple stumped me for so long! Thanks again!

                          Susan Faught