"Single" Question

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2001
      I was corresponding with an old friend of my mother's.
      I had mentioned that my mother never living the
      "single" life (you know, either a dorm or an apartment
      prior to marriage) had kind of "crippled" her
      adulthood. My mother's friend replied "That just
      wasn't done -- not even single men." I'm not sure if
      she meant just in her circle, her religious realm,
      neighborhood, or what exactly she was referring to.
      Would anyone like to take this one? I do remember my
      mother saying that her parents probably wouldn't have
      condoned going away to college or getting an
      apartment, but my mother sort of conveyed that it was
      her way of saving money to buy a car -- at the time I
      bought her excuse, but now I have my suspicious that
      it was about as lame an excuse as one could come up
      with. Anyhow, maybe I'm just too modern, or maybe I'm
      too removed from the grandparents to even remember how
      strict it must have been, but I'd love to hear
      opinions from across the country. Thanks.

      Caye

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com