RE: [S-R] 1773 Hungarian Tax/Land Census

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2001
      I translated these once and will post them tonight from home. They're in
      oldfashioned Czech.

      Joe Armata

    • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2001
        Here's a stab I once made at these, corrections are welcome!
        Joe

        ***Horizontally:
        Gmeno a Prigmeny = First and Last Names

        *** Vertically:
        Wlastnost Poddaneho Gruntu = Character of the Subject's Allotment (meaning a
        full
        allotment, or a half, quarter, etc.)

        *** Horizontally:
        Properties of the Subject's Allotment
        wnitr./zewnitr. = internal/external

        Vertically:
        Na Presspur. Merice = in Pressburg Merice (a unit of land allotment), the
        amount of land given for residential buildings.

        Semenich Roly Dily = Fields, Parcels for Cultivation (cropland), given in
        number of parcels.

        Luky na Koscuw = Meadows, I think the numbers refer to a korec, which is two
        merice's, which would make them the same in size as the cultivation fields.

        *** Horizontally:
        Roczite Roboty neb Sluzby = Yearly Labors or Services

        Vertically:
        Robota z Lychwu = Labor with draught animals (Dny = in days)

        Aneb na mysto takowej, Robota Rukowny = Or in place of that, Hand Labor

        *** Horizontally:
        Dewatek = a Ninth

        (in Latin) Aequivalens Nona in Robottis = Equivalent Ninth in Labor

        Vertically:
        2ibus (Secundibus) Iumentis = Following a Draught Animal (Dies = in days)

        vel illius loco Manuali Labore = or in its place, Manual Labor

        *** Horizontally:
        Roczite Danky = Yearly Dues

        Vertically:
        Rocziti Czins Penezni = Yearly Monetary Rent (Flor = in Florins)

        Drewo na Ohen = Firewood (Sahy = in cords)

        Pradza = Yarn (funt = in pounds)

        Maslo topene = Melted butter (not sure if that makes sense) (holby = in
        quarts)

        Kopuny = Capons

        Kurentze = Chickens

        Wagcza = Eggs

        W Nitrneho Gruntu, a Luk Niedostatku wynahradzeny, od ktereho Dewatek se
        nedawa = Compensation for Shortage of Internal Allotment, or Meadows, Exempt
        from the Ninth (Dily = in Parcels)