Re: Legitimacy, draft and genealogy

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 1999
      > Do you think it was the young men of the village being drafted who fathered
      > these children? Or was it soldiers from other towns, stationed (for what
      > reason?) in the area, getting cozy with the local girls? Anyone know
      > anything about the reasons and logistics of this draft, to shed some light?
      >
      > Julie Michutka
      > jmm@...

      I suspect it was primarily local boys saying goodbye, but that is only a
      guess. A garrison town would, of course, be different.

      Thanks for your answer, Julie. You make it worth the while to look at
      the book:

      1815 the second treaty of Paris ended the Napoleonic war. Hungary lost
      around 350,000 soldiers during this war (not Autria-Hungarian, but
      Hungarian, which of course would include the Slovak-Hungarians.) March
      1821 A/H (Austro-Hungarian troops attack the revolutionaries in Naples.
      4 Apr 1821 King Ferenc orders 28,000 (not 28,500) recruits. THere is no
      further mention of war or draft through 1830, and then "the king
      sanctioned the laws of the parliment, including chapter 7: the assembly
      of 28,000 Hungarian recruits with ten year service time. In case of war
      until 2 Oct 1831 an additional 20,000 will be recruited. The same
      parliment passed a language law, No. 8: Hungarian is the official
      language for government. After 1834 no one can practice as a lawyer
      unless they master Hungarian.

      Some terms from this Hungarian book written in German:

      de genere von dem Geschlecht from the family
      d.R. der Reserve the reserves
      Gr. Graf Count
      Gren. Gerenadier a typ of soldier
      honve'd national guard
      Honvhptm. Honvedhauptmann Nat'l Guard Captain
      Hu.,hu. Husar and variations, a type of soldier
      Inf. Infanterie infantry
      jun. Junior
      Kav. Kavallerie cavalry
      slov. Slovakisch Slovak (language or person)

      An American book on Hungary states "Metternicht quelled the popular
      uprisings in Piedmont and Naples in 1820 and 1821. Vienna demanded
      35,000 Hungarian recruits and ordered the collection of taxes voted by
      the Diet 10 years earlier to be collected in silver coins, a de facto
      increase of 250 percent."

      I promise that is as far as I will digress from direct geneology on this
      forum. It strikes me as reasonable to understand the social conditions
      back then.

      Maura, I am glad your health is coming back and the forum is well!

      Ron
    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 1999
        At 10:19 PM 9/29/99 -0800, you wrote:
        >From: Ron Matviyak <amiak@...>

        >Some terms from this Hungarian book written in German:
        >
        >de genere von dem Geschlecht from the family
        >d.R. der Reserve the reserves
        >Gr. Graf Count
        >Gren. Gerenadier a typ of soldier
        >honve'd national guard
        >Honvhptm. Honvedhauptmann Nat'l Guard Captain
        >Hu.,hu. Husar and variations, a type of soldier
        >Inf. Infanterie infantry
        >jun. Junior
        >Kav. Kavallerie cavalry
        >slov. Slovakisch Slovak (language or person)

        Thanks for your answer Ron. The above list is very helpful, and I'd advise
        anyone who expects to stare at microfilmed parish marriage records to print
        it out--soldier-grooms often have notes about their current service at the
        end of the marriage record (at least that's what I've found in the town I'm
        searching!)

        Thanks again!

        Julie Michutka, descendent of a Slovak soldierboy (yes, they were married!)
        jmm@...