Re: [S-R] Re: Pletz, Sopko

  • Sharon Pletz
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2001
      Hi, yes we have always thought it to be a german name and it has been
      suggested to us that in the 1700's people were starving in Germany and
      the churches helped families to relocate in order for them to survive,
      because our family used Slovak as their mother tongue they would have
      settled in a Slovak settlement and it would have been politically
      correct to take their language. This is the best explanation that we
      have been able to come up with.
      It is likely that Nograd would be a county as the 1920 US census for the
      area has most of the locals from either Sarriska,Hungary or Nograt,
      Hungary. So we are assuming, for the time being, that we should be
      looking in the counties of Sarisske and Nograd, There are 4 Huta's and 2
      Huty's in Slovakia as per JewihGenShtetlSeeker, I would guess that my
      only option would be to try to locate church records close to these and
      hope for a break. The LDS has church records fo Hutka, Slovakia;
      formerly Alsó-Mirosó and Hutka, Sáros, Hungary. Would Hutka sound like
      Huta when spoken? The records are for Greek Catholic and our family was
      Roman Catholic, but I have seen where others have said their family
      attended the R C as there were no G C in the area where they settled.
      Have you run into this at all?
      We have been told that their father died on the passage to the US and
      their mother died in 1887 at Toronto, Ohio. We have varified her death,
      but there was no information to help us. Thankyou so much for your
      reply. If you have suggestions about any of this, I am listening :))

      Sharon

    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Sharon Pletz <ejay@s...> wrote:
        > Hi, yes we have always thought it to be a german name and it has been
        > suggested to us that in the 1700's people were starving in Germany and
        > the churches helped families to relocate in order for them to survive,
        > because our family used Slovak as their mother tongue they would have
        > settled in a Slovak settlement and it would have been politically
        > correct to take their language. This is the best explanation that we
        > have been able to come up with.
        > It is likely that Nograd would be a county as the 1920 US census for the
        > area has most of the locals from either Sarriska,Hungary or Nograt,
        > Hungary. So we are assuming, for the time being, that we should be
        > looking in the counties of Sarisske and Nograd, There are 4 Huta's and 2
        > Huty's in Slovakia as per JewihGenShtetlSeeker, I would guess that my
        > only option would be to try to locate church records close to these and
        > hope for a break. The LDS has church records fo Hutka, Slovakia;
        > formerly Alsó-Mirosó and Hutka, Sáros, Hungary. Would Hutka sound like
        > Huta when spoken? The records are for Greek Catholic and our family was
        > Roman Catholic, but I have seen where others have said their family
        > attended the R C as there were no G C in the area where they settled.
        > Have you run into this at all?
        > We have been told that their father died on the passage to the US and
        > their mother died in 1887 at Toronto, Ohio. We have varified her death,
        > but there was no information to help us. Thankyou so much for your
        > reply. If you have suggestions about any of this, I am listening :))
        >
        > Sharon
        >
        > frankur@a... wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Sharon Pletz <ejay@s...> wrote:
        > > > Hi, I am new to the list, I am researching the Following names:
        > > >
        > > > PLETZ from Nograt, Hungary (likely Nograd, Hungary)
        > > > SOPKO from Sariska, Hungary (possibly Sarisske, Hungary)
        > > >
        > > > I have taken the info from 1920 US census, closest I could find is in=

        > > > brackets. We were always told that they came from Huta, and were
        > > > Czechoslovakian or Slovak. Well Huta is a smeltering plant found all
        > > > over Hungary, Slovakia, Poland etc. Would any one know of a town or
        > > > villiage that may have been known as Huta, it would have been a Slova=
        > > > speaking community. The naturalization filed in Ohio 1892, only tells=
        us
        > > > they were from Hungary and ruled by Austria.
        > > > I have not been able to find their passage to America in 1887. We are=

        > > > not even sure of the port of entry.
        > > > any suggestions as to where we go from here. We have checked church
        > > > records in Toronto, Ohio and also Lakefield Minnesota and all we are
        > > > able to get is Hungary or Austria for a birth place. These folks have=

        > > > not only built a brick wall between us, they have covered their track=
        > > > so well we have not been able to find the brick wall to break down.
        > > >
        > > > Sharon Pletz
        > > > Canada

        German places in Slovakia.

        http://www.feefhs.org/frl/czs/dg-gps.html

        Would tend to disagree with you.
        Germans would have kept their German language, whether they were
        starving or otherwise.
        This is the nature of German ethnicity.
        I lived in Germany for 5 years.

        Yes.
        Nógrád was a Hungarian megye (county)

        http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g044.htm

        Some R.C. attended G.C. church or both religions used
        a single church on alternate weeks.
        In North America emigrants may have attended another parish
        church if own was not available in area where they settled.
        There were also mixed marriages (R.C. with G.C.)

        Alsó-Mirosó (Lower) Mirosó (H) = Nizn^í (Lower) Mirosov (Sk)

        Hungarian English Slovak grammatical form
        kis little malá/malé/maly'
        nagy large vel'ká/vel'ké/vel'ky'
        felso" upper horná/horné/horny'
        alsó lower dolná/dolné/dolny'
        felso" upper vys^ná/vys^né/vys^ny'
        alsó lower niz^ná/niz^né/niz^ny'

        Hungarian English Polish grammatical form
        kis little mal~a/mal~e/mal~y
        nagy large wielka/wielke/wielki
        felso" upper górna/górne/górny
        alsó lower dolna/dolne/dolny

        Surname Pletz (G)

        1800
        Sapole (Poland ?) => QC, BC, SK, CAN
        Zapole, east of Lódz or in Rzeszów province ?

        1830
        => USA

        1893
        Poland => CAN

        There are two place name Huta located in Poland, in former
        Russian-Poland and German-Poland (Silesia-Slask-Schleisen)

        From the late 1700s until the end of WW I, Poland did not exist as a
        country. It was divided among the Russian, German (Prussian), and
        Austrian Empires. These divisions were known as Partitions.
        There was Austrian-Poland, German-Poland, and Russian-Poland.

        Canadian Genealogy Pages

        http://www-personal.umich.edu/%7Ecgaunt/canada.html#CANADIAN

        > > Don't know your surnames.
        > > Pletz isn't a Slovak surname spelling.
        > > One would expect Plech spelled with diacritic letter c^ = ch.
        > >
        > > Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
        > > part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
        > > part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
        > > Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.
        > >
        > > Pre WW I old Hungarian county Sáros megye was located around Pres^ov
        > > and Bardejov region in eastern Slovakia.
        > > Sarisske is Slovak grammatical gender form, i.e. masculine, feminine,
        > > and neuter.
        > > Example, S^aris^ská/S^aris^ské/S^aris^sky'
        > > If it had been a town would have been S^aris^ské + a name.
        > > For example, S^aris^ské C^ierne.
        > > So you have name of a Slovak z^upa or county rather than a town.
        > >
        > > In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from
        > > the Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and
        > > a portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).
        > >
        > > (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")
        > >
        > > Following the WW I peace treaty, the Slovaks had changed all the
        > > Hungarian names of the towns and villages and counties in Slovakia
        > > to Skovak names.
        > >
        > > After 1920 the Slovaks changed Sáros megye to S^aris^ z^upa (county)
        > > before the z^upy system was discontinued in 1923 and the
        > > okres (district) system was introduced.
        > >
        > > There are 4 place names called Huta in Slovakia.
        > > Yes. Huta means smelter works in Slovak.
        > >
        > > A Nograd is located 30 miles north of Budapest, Hungary.

        s/