Re: [S-R] Pletz, Sopko

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
      Dear Sharon,
      I am Michael Mojher. On my mother's side, her aunt, is a Sopko. This
      past May I visited the Sopko family in Slovakia. They live in or near
      Presov.
      My recollection is the word Sarisske translates to "small village." My
      mother's father was from Sarisske Michalny, near Presov.
      My search of records has been done through my local Mormon Family
      History Center. I think you will find them helpful in doing searches for
      records you need. They also have an on-line site where you can begin your
      search. www.familysearch.org. You can also use the site to find the Family
      History Center near you.
      Michael Mojher

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
        There are Sopko families in the village of Zahradne which is northeast of
        Presov. One of my cousins is married to a Sopko and another is the daughter
        of a Sopko. Both of these cousins live in Zahradne.
        Carol

        > Hi, I am new to the list, I am researching the Following names:
        >
        > PLETZ from Nograt, Hungary (likely Nograd, Hungary)
        > SOPKO from Sariska, Hungary (possibly Sarisske, Hungary)
        >
        > I have taken the info from 1920 US census, closest I could find is in
        > brackets. We were always told that they came from Huta, and were
        > Czechoslovakian or Slovak. Well Huta is a smeltering plant found all
        > over Hungary, Slovakia, Poland etc. Would any one know of a town or
        > villiage that may have been known as Huta, it would have been a Slovak
        > speaking community. The naturalization filed in Ohio 1892, only tells us
        > they were from Hungary and ruled by Austria.
        > I have not been able to find their passage to America in 1887. We are
        > not even sure of the port of entry.
        > any suggestions as to where we go from here. We have checked church
        > records in Toronto, Ohio and also Lakefield Minnesota and all we are
        > able to get is Hungary or Austria for a birth place. These folks have
        > not only built a brick wall between us, they have covered their tracks
        > so well we have not been able to find the brick wall to break down.
        >
        > Sharon Pletz
        > Canada

        FREE COLLEGE MONEY
        CLICK HERE to search
        600,000 scholarships!
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pv4pGD/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/FvNolB/TM
      • Sharon Pletz
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
          Hi Michael and Carol, thankyou for your response, I know about the LDS
          but I have no idea as to where to start, Hungary is a very large place
          and I do not speak the language, so it will take me a very long time to
          go through each tape. I am hoping that some how I will be able to narrow
          it down.
          It is nice to hear of other SOPKO researchers, do you have an Andrew
          Sopko that married a Maria Aursky? They are the parents of our Mary
          Sopko that married John Pletz. They were all born in Sariska, Hungary,
          or Sarisske, Hungary which ever it turns out to be :)) It is good to
          know there is a Sarisske still there. We are fairly certain that the
          area they came from would now be in Slovakia and I think we are safe to
          say it would be Sarisske. We have survived a lot of miss-spelled names
          and places on documents and some how sorted them out. It must have been
          a chore in those days with all of the different accents, I am surprised
          we come as close as we do to some names. Thanks again

          Sharon

          Michael Mojher wrote:

          > Dear Sharon,
          > I am Michael Mojher. On my mother's side, her aunt, is a Sopko. This
          > past May I visited the Sopko family in Slovakia. They live in or near
          > Presov.
          > My recollection is the word Sarisske translates to "small village." My
          > mother's father was from Sarisske Michalny, near Presov.
          > My search of records has been done through my local Mormon Family
          > History Center. I think you will find them helpful in doing searches for
          > records you need. They also have an on-line site where you can begin your
          > search. www.familysearch.org. You can also use the site to find the Family
          > History Center near you.
          > Michael Mojher

        • Sharon Pletz
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
            Hi John, yes it has been a long time since I posted, I have been busy
            going through the census, probate, citizenship and checking passenger
            lists, still no clues, this family is being difficult. We have 4
            sibblings and have obtained all of the death registrations and they all
            gave different information, the only information that was the same on 3
            of them is that their mother was Barbara, they all gave different maiden
            names for her and they were not even close so that we could guess. Their
            father is Ferdinand Pletz on 2 and Carl on 1 with only Pletz on the
            other. If it were not for the fact that we have family history, letters
            and pictures to prove they were brothers and sisters we would have
            thought they were not even related.
            No I have not tried Plecz, but will sure get on to it, I have found the
            Declaration of intention for Bletz to match the naturalization for
            Plets. The birth dates match so we are going with them. It was fortunate
            that the 2 brothers filed at the same time or I may have missed that as
            well.
            I have noticed that the census for Ohio and Minnesota had several
            neighbors that were from the same areas as the Pletz & Sopko families.
            It could be birds of a feather.
            They were Roman Catholic as far back as we have been able to go. Saint
            Francis of Toronto, Ohio has found some records for me. I just keep
            digging with the hopes I will get lucky one day.

            Sharon