Pletz, Sopko

  • Sharon Pletz
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
      Hi, I am new to the list, I am researching the Following names:

      PLETZ from Nograt, Hungary (likely Nograd, Hungary)
      SOPKO from Sariska, Hungary (possibly Sarisske, Hungary)

      I have taken the info from 1920 US census, closest I could find is in
      brackets. We were always told that they came from Huta, and were
      Czechoslovakian or Slovak. Well Huta is a smeltering plant found all
      over Hungary, Slovakia, Poland etc. Would any one know of a town or
      villiage that may have been known as Huta, it would have been a Slovak
      speaking community. The naturalization filed in Ohio 1892, only tells us
      they were from Hungary and ruled by Austria.
      I have not been able to find their passage to America in 1887. We are
      not even sure of the port of entry.
      any suggestions as to where we go from here. We have checked church
      records in Toronto, Ohio and also Lakefield Minnesota and all we are
      able to get is Hungary or Austria for a birth place. These folks have
      not only built a brick wall between us, they have covered their tracks
      so well we have not been able to find the brick wall to break down.

      Sharon Pletz
      Canada
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
        At 07:22 PM 11/2/01 -0600, you wrote:
        >Hi, I am new to the list, I am researching the Following names:
        >
        >PLETZ from Nograt, Hungary (likely Nograd, Hungary)
        >SOPKO from Sariska, Hungary (possibly Sarisske, Hungary)

        Hi Sharon,

        Have you tried http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm ? I
        believe you would have.

        It has been a while since I've seen you post on these names. I believe I
        was the one that mentioned "huta" was the designation for a foundry or
        glass melting facility. My mother and father and many from villages around
        the Bardejov area in Northeast Slovakia also wound up in the Toronto Ohio
        area where your Pletz emigrated to. Saris was the county that Bardejov was
        in. My parents lived in Stratton, OH and many went to Empire, OH which are
        all just a few miles from Toronto. Using the birds of a feather theory,
        there is a possibility that they may have emigrated from the same area.
        There are a few villages in the area around Bardejov, SK that had or still
        have the "huta" in their name. This is a forested area and I'm sure the
        fuel for the operation of the foundry was wood.

        Were they Greek Catholic or Roman Catholic? The Northeast region was and
        to an extent still is Greek Catholic and Orthodox. I know there is a St.
        Joseph's Greek Catholic church in Toronto. My father's name was spelled
        Maczko and the Hungarian "cz" translate to "ts". Have you tried Plecz as a
        possible spelling. There are a few others that might give the phonetic
        "tz" sound.

        >I have taken the info from 1920 US census, closest I could find is in
        >brackets. We were always told that they came from Huta, and were
        >Czechoslovakian or Slovak. Well Huta is a smeltering plant found all
        >over Hungary, Slovakia, Poland etc. Would any one know of a town or
        >villiage that may have been known as Huta, it would have been a Slovak
        >speaking community. The naturalization filed in Ohio 1892, only tells us
        >they were from Hungary and ruled by Austria.

        The "ruled by Austria" may only mean that they were part of the dual
        kingdom of Austria Hungary. Galacia was ruled by Austria and as you
        pointed out Poland is loaded with "Huta". If they were Rusyn then the
        language would be understood on both sides of the border in Northeast
        Slovakia and not far off the Saris Slovak dialect.

        I had no luck locating the Pletz name in the Slovakia online
        directory. There are 72 listings for Sopko in Kosice, 44 in Presov, 2 in
        Bardejov, 3 in Svidnik, 22 in Bratislava, etc. You could work in the EI
        database with various combinations of spellings to see if you could locate
        a family member arriving from the village during the 1892-1924 database for
        Ellis Island. Do you know the name of any of the villagers or relatives
        including godparents?

        John
      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Sharon Pletz <ejay@s...> wrote:
          > Hi, I am new to the list, I am researching the Following names:
          >
          > PLETZ from Nograt, Hungary (likely Nograd, Hungary)
          > SOPKO from Sariska, Hungary (possibly Sarisske, Hungary)
          >
          > I have taken the info from 1920 US census, closest I could find is in
          > brackets. We were always told that they came from Huta, and were
          > Czechoslovakian or Slovak. Well Huta is a smeltering plant found all
          > over Hungary, Slovakia, Poland etc. Would any one know of a town or
          > villiage that may have been known as Huta, it would have been a Slovak
          > speaking community. The naturalization filed in Ohio 1892, only tells us
          > they were from Hungary and ruled by Austria.
          > I have not been able to find their passage to America in 1887. We are
          > not even sure of the port of entry.
          > any suggestions as to where we go from here. We have checked church
          > records in Toronto, Ohio and also Lakefield Minnesota and all we are
          > able to get is Hungary or Austria for a birth place. These folks have
          > not only built a brick wall between us, they have covered their tracks
          > so well we have not been able to find the brick wall to break down.
          >
          > Sharon Pletz
          > Canada

          Don't know your surnames.
          Pletz isn't a Slovak surname spelling.
          One would expect Plech spelled with diacritic letter c^ = ch.

          Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
          part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
          part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
          Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

          Pre WW I old Hungarian county Sáros megye was located around Pres^ov
          and Bardejov region in eastern Slovakia.
          Sarisske is Slovak grammatical gender form, i.e. masculine, feminine,
          and neuter.
          Example, S^aris^ská/S^aris^ské/S^aris^sky'
          If it had been a town would have been S^aris^ské + a name.
          For example, S^aris^ské C^ierne.
          So you have name of a Slovak z^upa or county rather than a town.

          In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from
          the Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and
          a portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

          (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

          Following the WW I peace treaty, the Slovaks had changed all the
          Hungarian names of the towns and villages and counties in Slovakia
          to Skovak names.

          After 1920 the Slovaks changed Sáros megye to S^aris^ z^upa (county)
          before the z^upy system was discontinued in 1923 and the
          okres (district) system was introduced.

          There are 4 place names called Huta in Slovakia.
          Yes. Huta means smelter works in Slovak.

          A Nograd is located 30 miles north of Budapest, Hungary.