Re: [S-R] Bartosik

  • Mary Hudec
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi Caye

      Being a Hudec I've heard of quite a few variations
      from "Hudec" to "Hudac","Hudek" etc. I'm from
      Wisconsin orginally but the only ones there our my
      direct relatives. I've been told that Hudec is a
      common name especially in Bratislava where my great
      grand parents are from. I've gotten as far back as
      1849 on the Hudec side but only know that Maria
      Bartosik came over alone sometime between 1910 and
      1918. It seems that quite a few young women came over
      on their own. Was arranged marriages between the new
      and old country common?

      Mary

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 1, 2001
        Hi Mary:

        Not in my family, no. However, my grandmother was
        part of that wave of immigration also. She and most
        of her fellow immigrants married men they met here.
        In particular, my grandmother married a Russian man
        from Kiev. I will, however, say that my mother
        conveyed to me that her parents "monitored" her dating
        and potential mates with a fine tooth comb, but didn't
        pre-arrange. After my mother had exhausted most of
        the potentials in her church and the Russian Orthodox
        church on the other side of town, she persuaded her
        father to let her date others. I think it probably
        took a lot of work on my mother's part.

        Caye

        http://personals.yahoo.com