Re: [S-R] Bartosik

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hello Mary:

      That name Hudec sounds (at lest phonetically) like a
      name my mother knew. I'd like to say Helen Hudec/k,
      who she would have known from Cleveland, Ohio. Does
      this ring any bells with you?

      Caye

      --- Mary Hudec <hawaiihudec@...> wrote:
      > I've been searching for any info on Maria Bartosik
      > or
      > any information on Bartosik in general. Maria was
      > born in Bratislava in 1892. I've searched the boat
      > lists for her without any luck. She married Anton
      > Hudec and had her first child in 1918. Any
      > suggestions
      > on where to go now?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Mary

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Mary Hudec
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 1, 2001
        Hi Caye

        Being a Hudec I've heard of quite a few variations
        from "Hudec" to "Hudac","Hudek" etc. I'm from
        Wisconsin orginally but the only ones there our my
        direct relatives. I've been told that Hudec is a
        common name especially in Bratislava where my great
        grand parents are from. I've gotten as far back as
        1849 on the Hudec side but only know that Maria
        Bartosik came over alone sometime between 1910 and
        1918. It seems that quite a few young women came over
        on their own. Was arranged marriages between the new
        and old country common?

        Mary

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 1, 2001
          Hi Mary:

          Not in my family, no. However, my grandmother was
          part of that wave of immigration also. She and most
          of her fellow immigrants married men they met here.
          In particular, my grandmother married a Russian man
          from Kiev. I will, however, say that my mother
          conveyed to me that her parents "monitored" her dating
          and potential mates with a fine tooth comb, but didn't
          pre-arrange. After my mother had exhausted most of
          the potentials in her church and the Russian Orthodox
          church on the other side of town, she persuaded her
          father to let her date others. I think it probably
          took a lot of work on my mother's part.

          http://personals.yahoo.com