Bartosik

  • Mary Hudec
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 1, 2001
      I've been searching for any info on Maria Bartosik or
      any information on Bartosik in general. Maria was
      born in Bratislava in 1892. I've searched the boat
      lists for her without any luck. She married Anton
      Hudec and had her first child in 1918. Any suggestions
      on where to go now?

      Thanks
      Mary

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 1, 2001
        Hello Mary:

        That name Hudec sounds (at lest phonetically) like a
        name my mother knew. I'd like to say Helen Hudec/k,
        who she would have known from Cleveland, Ohio. Does
        this ring any bells with you?

        Caye

        --- Mary Hudec <hawaiihudec@...> wrote:
        > I've been searching for any info on Maria Bartosik
        > or
        > any information on Bartosik in general. Maria was
        > born in Bratislava in 1892. I've searched the boat
        > lists for her without any luck. She married Anton
        > Hudec and had her first child in 1918. Any
        > suggestions
        > on where to go now?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Mary

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • Mary Hudec
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 1, 2001
          Hi Caye

          Being a Hudec I've heard of quite a few variations
          from "Hudec" to "Hudac","Hudek" etc. I'm from
          Wisconsin orginally but the only ones there our my
          direct relatives. I've been told that Hudec is a
          common name especially in Bratislava where my great
          grand parents are from. I've gotten as far back as
          1849 on the Hudec side but only know that Maria
          Bartosik came over alone sometime between 1910 and
          1918. It seems that quite a few young women came over
          on their own. Was arranged marriages between the new
          and old country common?

          Mary

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 1, 2001
            Hi Mary:

            Not in my family, no. However, my grandmother was
            part of that wave of immigration also. She and most
            of her fellow immigrants married men they met here.
            In particular, my grandmother married a Russian man
            from Kiev. I will, however, say that my mother
            conveyed to me that her parents "monitored" her dating
            and potential mates with a fine tooth comb, but didn't
            pre-arrange. After my mother had exhausted most of
            the potentials in her church and the Russian Orthodox
            church on the other side of town, she persuaded her
            father to let her date others. I think it probably
            took a lot of work on my mother's part.

            http://personals.yahoo.com