Re: [S-R] Wow, a Family Photo with an Ad on the Back, Eurika!!!

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
      Tim, thank you, and I hadda mention the term typ-o,
      figures I'd make a typo in Nagy. I'll agree with you,
      since I've been searching the term and it refers to
      Michael, when hits of rosters came up, it was usually
      Michael Nagy, the name. Thanks again!

      Caye

      --- Tim Skvarenina <tskvarenina@...> wrote:
      > Caye,
      >
      > I think Nagy-Mihaly is now Michalovce in Slovakia.
      >
      > Tim
      >

      > --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Fellow Slovaks:
      > >
      > > Halasz J. (the photographer's Company Name?)
      > > FENYKEPESZETI
      > > es
      > > FESTESZETI MUIERME
      > > (Fo-uzlet)
      > > S. A. Ujhely
      > > Fioh-Uzletek
      > > Sarospatak
      > > Homonna
      > > Magy-Mihaly
      > > Szerencses
      > > Tokaj (this word is in bold)
      > >
      > > Then at the very bottom of the Ad it says:
      > >
      > > Utanrendelesek Barmikop Eszhozoltetnek
      > >
      > > Any help would be appreciated,

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
        Dear Caye

        the text on the photo is written in Hungarian. I will try to forward to my cousin who speaks Hungarian and translate it for you.

        Regards

        Sylvia

      • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
          Dear Cyae
          the text is written in Hungarian. I will try to forward it to my cousin who speaks Hngarian to translate it for you.
          Regards
          Sylvia
          Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
          Dear Fellow Slovaks:

          I discovered a family photo which I believe was taken
          by a professional photographer in Slovakia, looks like
          a "sepia" type photo. It is mounted on a card with an
          advertisement on the back, so I'll type what it says
          and if anyone recognizes anything, I'd really
          appreciate feedback, who knows, maybe I'll finally
          know the town I hail from, not jumping up and down too
          high here, just a lil. OK, I'll try to not make any
          typo-s:

          Halasz J. (the photographer's Company Name?)
          FENYKEPESZETI
          es
          FESTESZETI MUIERME
          (Fo-uzlet)
          S. A. Ujhely
          Fioh-Uzletek
          Sarospatak
          Homonna
          Magy-Mihaly
          Szerencses
          Tokaj (this word is in bold)

          Then at the very bottom of the Ad it says:

          Utanrendelesek Barmikop Eszhozoltetnek

          Of course, the oomlatz and graves (sic) are missing,
          and some of the p's could actually either be r's or
          k's, but I can answer finer questions once I get a
          response or two. Any help would be appreciated,
          thanks again.

          Caye

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
            Sylvia: Thanks! I think the photo was probably taken
            in Tokaj, any idea what Tokaj might have been referred
            to as before the Hungarian change? I understand it
            now is famous for it's wine.

            Caye

            --- Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia <sali777@...> wrote:

            > Dear Cyae
            > the text is written in Hungarian. I will try to
            > forward it to my cousin who speaks Hngarian to
            > translate it for you.
            > Regards
            > Sylvia
            > Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
            > Dear Fellow Slovaks:
            >
            > I discovered a family photo which I believe was
            > taken
            > by a professional photographer in Slovakia, looks
            > like
            > a "sepia" type photo. It is mounted on a card with
            > an
            > advertisement on the back, so I'll type what it says
            > and if anyone recognizes anything, I'd really
            > appreciate feedback, who knows, maybe I'll finally
            > know the town I hail from, not jumping up and down
            > too
            > high here, just a lil. OK, I'll try to not make any
            > typo-s:
            >
            > Halasz J. (the photographer's Company Name?)
            > FENYKEPESZETI
            > es
            > FESTESZETI MUIERME
            > (Fo-uzlet)
            > S. A. Ujhely
            > Fioh-Uzletek
            > Sarospatak
            > Homonna
            > Magy-Mihaly
            > Szerencses
            > Tokaj (this word is in bold)
            >
            > Then at the very bottom of the Ad it says:
            >
            > Utanrendelesek Barmikop Eszhozoltetnek
            >
            > Of course, the oomlatz and graves (sic) are missing,
            > and some of the p's could actually either be r's or
            > k's, but I can answer finer questions once I get a
            > response or two. Any help would be appreciated,
            > thanks again.
            >
            > Caye

            > Terms of Service.

            > removed]

            http://personals.yahoo.com
          • Milan Huba
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
              The words are in Hungarian, not Slovak. But, prior to WWI, Slovakia was a
              part of Hungary and Hungarian was commonly used in businesses.

            • frankur@att.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...> wrote:

                > Dear Fellow Slovaks:
                >
                > I discovered a family photo which I believe was taken
                > by a professional photographer in Slovakia, looks like
                > a "sepia" type photo. It is mounted on a card with an
                > advertisement on the back, so I'll type what it says
                > and if anyone recognizes anything, I'd really
                > appreciate feedback, who knows, maybe I'll finally
                > know the town I hail from, not jumping up and down too
                > high here, just a lil. OK, I'll try to not make any
                > typo-s:
                >
                > Halasz J. (the photographer's Company Name?)
                > FENYKEPESZETI
                > es
                > FESTESZETI MUIERME
                > (Fo-uzlet)
                > S. A. Ujhely
                > Fioh-Uzletek
                > Sarospatak
                > Homonna
                > Magy-Mihaly
                > Szerencses
                > Tokaj (this word is in bold)
                >
                > Then at the very bottom of the Ad it says:
                >
                > Utanrendelesek Barmikop Eszhozoltetnek
                >
                > Of course, the oomlatz and graves (sic) are missing,
                > and some of the p's could actually either be r's or
                > k's, but I can answer finer questions once I get a
                > response or two. Any help would be appreciated,
                > thanks again.
                >
                > Caye
                =

                Fényképészet = photography
                és = and
                festészeti = paintings (of some kind) ?

                Sa'rospatak is located in NE Hungary, on the banks of the Bodrog River.
                About three km from the center, and parallel to the Bodrog River
                are the famous Tokai mountains.
                The city of Tokai (Tokaj), itself, is located about fifty km SW of Sa'rospa=
                tak.

                Humenné (Sk) Homonna (H) Homenau (G) in eastern Slovakia.

                Michalovce (Sk) Nagymihály Grossmichel (G) in eastern Slovakia.

                S.A. Ujhely is Sátoraljaúhely (H)

                After WW I peace treaty Zemplén megye was split.
                Part became part of Slovakia and part remained in Hungary.
                Sátoraljaúhely reamined in Hungary.

                Also Szerencs (H) is still located in Hungary.
                Tokaj is located SW of Szerencs.

                bármikor = akár.. conj. just like
                (no time for the other two words)

                Slovak-Roots must have the longest message listings of any
                genealogy mailing list.
                The last one was 37 pages for 24 messages.
                Why are the entire messages repeated ? And repeated ?

                Nobody deletes the obvious when replying to the same query. =
              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001
                  Frank(?):

                  Thanks ever so much, that was an excellent reply, now
                  I can go to work on mapquest and it's competition. I
                  know, but trust me, most of the entire world doesn't
                  delete the old stuff off their e-mail.

                  Caye

                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                • BobHORGOS@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001
                    In a message dated 11/1/01 9:25:08 AM, ccaswick@... writes:

                    << Thanks ever so much, that was an excellent reply, now
                    I can go to work on mapquest and it's competition. >>

                    Why go to Mapquest?? Take your Web Browser to:
                    http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm
                    and you will find an outstanding and very detailed map of the Austro-Hungary
                    Empire that included what is now Slovakia (and it will have the original
                    Hungarian names of towns, villages, etc.).