Wow, a Family Photo with an Ad on the Back, Eurika!!!

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
      Dear Fellow Slovaks:

      I discovered a family photo which I believe was taken
      by a professional photographer in Slovakia, looks like
      a "sepia" type photo. It is mounted on a card with an
      advertisement on the back, so I'll type what it says
      and if anyone recognizes anything, I'd really
      appreciate feedback, who knows, maybe I'll finally
      know the town I hail from, not jumping up and down too
      high here, just a lil. OK, I'll try to not make any
      typo-s:

      Halasz J. (the photographer's Company Name?)
      FENYKEPESZETI
      es
      FESTESZETI MUIERME
      (Fo-uzlet)
      S. A. Ujhely
      Fioh-Uzletek
      Sarospatak
      Homonna
      Magy-Mihaly
      Szerencses
      Tokaj (this word is in bold)

      Then at the very bottom of the Ad it says:

      Utanrendelesek Barmikop Eszhozoltetnek

      Of course, the oomlatz and graves (sic) are missing,
      and some of the p's could actually either be r's or
      k's, but I can answer finer questions once I get a
      response or two. Any help would be appreciated,
      thanks again.

      Caye

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
        Caye,

        I think Nagy-Mihaly is now Michalovce in Slovakia.

        Tim

        --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

        > Dear Fellow Slovaks:
        >
        > Halasz J. (the photographer's Company Name?)
        > FENYKEPESZETI
        > es
        > FESTESZETI MUIERME
        > (Fo-uzlet)
        > S. A. Ujhely
        > Fioh-Uzletek
        > Sarospatak
        > Homonna
        > Magy-Mihaly
        > Szerencses
        > Tokaj (this word is in bold)
        >
        > Then at the very bottom of the Ad it says:
        >
        > Utanrendelesek Barmikop Eszhozoltetnek
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated,

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
          Tim, thank you, and I hadda mention the term typ-o,
          figures I'd make a typo in Nagy. I'll agree with you,
          since I've been searching the term and it refers to
          Michael, when hits of rosters came up, it was usually
          Michael Nagy, the name. Thanks again!

          Caye

          --- Tim Skvarenina <tskvarenina@...> wrote:
          > Caye,
          >
          > I think Nagy-Mihaly is now Michalovce in Slovakia.
          >
          > Tim
          >

          > --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear Fellow Slovaks:
          > >
          > > Halasz J. (the photographer's Company Name?)
          > > FENYKEPESZETI
          > > es
          > > FESTESZETI MUIERME
          > > (Fo-uzlet)
          > > S. A. Ujhely
          > > Fioh-Uzletek
          > > Sarospatak
          > > Homonna
          > > Magy-Mihaly
          > > Szerencses
          > > Tokaj (this word is in bold)
          > >
          > > Then at the very bottom of the Ad it says:
          > >
          > > Utanrendelesek Barmikop Eszhozoltetnek
          > >
          > > Any help would be appreciated,

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
            Dear Caye

            the text on the photo is written in Hungarian. I will try to forward to my cousin who speaks Hungarian and translate it for you.

            Regards

            Sylvia

          • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
                Sylvia: Thanks! I think the photo was probably taken
                in Tokaj, any idea what Tokaj might have been referred
                to as before the Hungarian change? I understand it
                now is famous for it's wine.

                Caye

                --- Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia <sali777@...> wrote:

                > Dear Cyae
                > the text is written in Hungarian. I will try to
                > forward it to my cousin who speaks Hngarian to
                > translate it for you.
                > Regards
                > Sylvia
                > Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
                > Dear Fellow Slovaks:
                >
                > I discovered a family photo which I believe was
                > taken
                > by a professional photographer in Slovakia, looks
                > like
                > a "sepia" type photo. It is mounted on a card with
                > an
                > advertisement on the back, so I'll type what it says
                > and if anyone recognizes anything, I'd really
                > appreciate feedback, who knows, maybe I'll finally
                > know the town I hail from, not jumping up and down
                > too
                > high here, just a lil. OK, I'll try to not make any
                > typo-s:
                >
                > Halasz J. (the photographer's Company Name?)
                > FENYKEPESZETI
                > es
                > FESTESZETI MUIERME
                > (Fo-uzlet)
                > S. A. Ujhely
                > Fioh-Uzletek
                > Sarospatak
                > Homonna
                > Magy-Mihaly
                > Szerencses
                > Tokaj (this word is in bold)
                >
                > Then at the very bottom of the Ad it says:
                >
                > Utanrendelesek Barmikop Eszhozoltetnek
                >
                > Of course, the oomlatz and graves (sic) are missing,
                > and some of the p's could actually either be r's or
                > k's, but I can answer finer questions once I get a
                > response or two. Any help would be appreciated,
                > thanks again.
                >
                > Caye

                > Terms of Service.

                > removed]

                http://personals.yahoo.com
              • Milan Huba
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
                  The words are in Hungarian, not Slovak. But, prior to WWI, Slovakia was a
                  part of Hungary and Hungarian was commonly used in businesses.

                • frankur@att.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...> wrote:

                    > Dear Fellow Slovaks:
                    >
                    > I discovered a family photo which I believe was taken
                    > by a professional photographer in Slovakia, looks like
                    > a "sepia" type photo. It is mounted on a card with an
                    > advertisement on the back, so I'll type what it says
                    > and if anyone recognizes anything, I'd really
                    > appreciate feedback, who knows, maybe I'll finally
                    > know the town I hail from, not jumping up and down too
                    > high here, just a lil. OK, I'll try to not make any
                    > typo-s:
                    >
                    > Halasz J. (the photographer's Company Name?)
                    > FENYKEPESZETI
                    > es
                    > FESTESZETI MUIERME
                    > (Fo-uzlet)
                    > S. A. Ujhely
                    > Fioh-Uzletek
                    > Sarospatak
                    > Homonna
                    > Magy-Mihaly
                    > Szerencses
                    > Tokaj (this word is in bold)
                    >
                    > Then at the very bottom of the Ad it says:
                    >
                    > Utanrendelesek Barmikop Eszhozoltetnek
                    >
                    > Of course, the oomlatz and graves (sic) are missing,
                    > and some of the p's could actually either be r's or
                    > k's, but I can answer finer questions once I get a
                    > response or two. Any help would be appreciated,
                    > thanks again.
                    >
                    > Caye
                    =

                    Fényképészet = photography
                    és = and
                    festészeti = paintings (of some kind) ?

                    Sa'rospatak is located in NE Hungary, on the banks of the Bodrog River.
                    About three km from the center, and parallel to the Bodrog River
                    are the famous Tokai mountains.
                    The city of Tokai (Tokaj), itself, is located about fifty km SW of Sa'rospa=
                    tak.

                    Humenné (Sk) Homonna (H) Homenau (G) in eastern Slovakia.

                    Michalovce (Sk) Nagymihály Grossmichel (G) in eastern Slovakia.

                    S.A. Ujhely is Sátoraljaúhely (H)

                    After WW I peace treaty Zemplén megye was split.
                    Part became part of Slovakia and part remained in Hungary.
                    Sátoraljaúhely reamined in Hungary.

                    Also Szerencs (H) is still located in Hungary.
                    Tokaj is located SW of Szerencs.

                    bármikor = akár.. conj. just like
                    (no time for the other two words)

                    Slovak-Roots must have the longest message listings of any
                    genealogy mailing list.
                    The last one was 37 pages for 24 messages.
                    Why are the entire messages repeated ? And repeated ?

                    Nobody deletes the obvious when replying to the same query. =
                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001
                      Frank(?):

                      Thanks ever so much, that was an excellent reply, now
                      I can go to work on mapquest and it's competition. I
                      know, but trust me, most of the entire world doesn't
                      delete the old stuff off their e-mail.

                      Caye

                      http://personals.yahoo.com
                    • BobHORGOS@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 1, 2001
                        In a message dated 11/1/01 9:25:08 AM, ccaswick@... writes:

                        << Thanks ever so much, that was an excellent reply, now
                        I can go to work on mapquest and it's competition. >>

                        Why go to Mapquest?? Take your Web Browser to:
                        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm
                        and you will find an outstanding and very detailed map of the Austro-Hungary
                        Empire that included what is now Slovakia (and it will have the original
                        Hungarian names of towns, villages, etc.).