Legitimacy, draft and genealogy

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 1999
      Now that you people got me away from history and into genealogy I am
      finishing up my first film of an ancestral village. This particular
      film covers around 1790 to 1864, so there are a fair number of
      handwritings and name variations to keep it interesting. As I went
      through I started to notice that every year or two this village of 300
      or 400 would have an illegitimate birth. Statistically I suppose that
      is not bad, but it got my curiosity up so I browsed back and confirmed
      the pattern. Then when I got to 1824 and 1825 the village was hit with
      four and five illegitimate children in these two years. Checking my
      detailed Hungarian history I could only find that the king called for a
      draft of 28,500 soldiers in 1821. I am guessing that the draft finally
      arrived in my village in 1823 / 1824.

      Has anyone else made such an observation during your research? Has
      anyone else noticed spikes in unmarried mothers in these years or any
      other times? Are there any better theories out there?

      Ron
    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 1999
        As I went
        >through I started to notice that every year or two this village of 300
        >or 400 would have an illegitimate birth. Statistically I suppose that
        >is not bad, but it got my curiosity up so I browsed back and confirmed
        >the pattern. Then when I got to 1824 and 1825 the village was hit with
        >four and five illegitimate children in these two years. Checking my
        >detailed Hungarian history I could only find that the king called for a
        >draft of 28,500 soldiers in 1821. I am guessing that the draft finally
        >arrived in my village in 1823 / 1824.

        Absolutely! My grandparents' village, Makov, was a bit larger;
        illegitimate births are not uncommon in the parish records, but I did see
        sections with more than the usual number, and instead of the father's name
        it would just say soldier, occasionally soldier + name; I've also found
        sections in the marriage records where there are quite a few soldiers among
        the grooms (1881/1882, for instance).

        Another thing I've noticed as I go through 150+ years of records--some
        years there are a heartbreaking number of children dying at the end of the
        winter. You can just imagine them not getting proper nutrition through the
        winter months, and then a bug sweeps through the village. My grandfather
        had sisters we never knew about who died during one of these late winter
        outbreaks; I found records of their deaths and looked back further to find
        their births.

        Just checked my notes: I had written in the margin "lots of soldiers'
        illeg. kids" and it was for 1821-23, maybe a little on either side of that
        time.

        >Has anyone else made such an observation during your research? Has
        >anyone else noticed spikes in unmarried mothers in these years or any
        >other times? Are there any better theories out there?

        Do you think it was the young men of the village being drafted who fathered
        these children? Or was it soldiers from other towns, stationed (for what
        reason?) in the area, getting cozy with the local girls? Anyone know
        anything about the reasons and logistics of this draft, to shed some light?

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...

        searching for Micutka, Grecnar, Pavlik, Kubacka, Moravcik, Kalicak, Fiuri,
        Zavarka, and Doboss in Makov and Vysoka; for Grecnar and Doulaj in Cadca
        and the town formerly known as Nagybittse!
      • Ron Matviyak
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 1999
          > Do you think it was the young men of the village being drafted who fathered
          > these children? Or was it soldiers from other towns, stationed (for what
          > reason?) in the area, getting cozy with the local girls? Anyone know
          > anything about the reasons and logistics of this draft, to shed some light?
          >
          > Julie Michutka
          > jmm@...

          I suspect it was primarily local boys saying goodbye, but that is only a
          guess. A garrison town would, of course, be different.

          Thanks for your answer, Julie. You make it worth the while to look at
          the book:

          1815 the second treaty of Paris ended the Napoleonic war. Hungary lost
          around 350,000 soldiers during this war (not Autria-Hungarian, but
          Hungarian, which of course would include the Slovak-Hungarians.) March
          1821 A/H (Austro-Hungarian troops attack the revolutionaries in Naples.
          4 Apr 1821 King Ferenc orders 28,000 (not 28,500) recruits. THere is no
          further mention of war or draft through 1830, and then "the king
          sanctioned the laws of the parliment, including chapter 7: the assembly
          of 28,000 Hungarian recruits with ten year service time. In case of war
          until 2 Oct 1831 an additional 20,000 will be recruited. The same
          parliment passed a language law, No. 8: Hungarian is the official
          language for government. After 1834 no one can practice as a lawyer
          unless they master Hungarian.

          Some terms from this Hungarian book written in German:

          de genere von dem Geschlecht from the family
          d.R. der Reserve the reserves
          Gr. Graf Count
          Gren. Gerenadier a typ of soldier
          honve'd national guard
          Honvhptm. Honvedhauptmann Nat'l Guard Captain
          Hu.,hu. Husar and variations, a type of soldier
          Inf. Infanterie infantry
          jun. Junior
          Kav. Kavallerie cavalry
          slov. Slovakisch Slovak (language or person)

          An American book on Hungary states "Metternicht quelled the popular
          uprisings in Piedmont and Naples in 1820 and 1821. Vienna demanded
          35,000 Hungarian recruits and ordered the collection of taxes voted by
          the Diet 10 years earlier to be collected in silver coins, a de facto
          increase of 250 percent."

          I promise that is as far as I will digress from direct geneology on this
          forum. It strikes me as reasonable to understand the social conditions
          back then.

          Maura, I am glad your health is coming back and the forum is well!

          Ron
        • J. Michutka
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 1999
            At 10:19 PM 9/29/99 -0800, you wrote:
            >From: Ron Matviyak <amiak@...>

            >Some terms from this Hungarian book written in German:
            >
            >de genere von dem Geschlecht from the family
            >d.R. der Reserve the reserves
            >Gr. Graf Count
            >Gren. Gerenadier a typ of soldier
            >honve'd national guard
            >Honvhptm. Honvedhauptmann Nat'l Guard Captain
            >Hu.,hu. Husar and variations, a type of soldier
            >Inf. Infanterie infantry
            >jun. Junior
            >Kav. Kavallerie cavalry
            >slov. Slovakisch Slovak (language or person)

            Thanks for your answer Ron. The above list is very helpful, and I'd advise
            anyone who expects to stare at microfilmed parish marriage records to print
            it out--soldier-grooms often have notes about their current service at the
            end of the marriage record (at least that's what I've found in the town I'm
            searching!)

            Thanks again!

            Julie Michutka, descendent of a Slovak soldierboy (yes, they were married!)
            jmm@...