Re: Scope of this list

  • Joyce Bracken
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 1999
      Julie,
      You are absolutely right. This list is for genealogists only and that's
      why most of us are on it.

      Joyce

      > From: "J. Michutka" <jmm@...>
      >
      > At 05:36 PM 9/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
      > >From: jim sagat <sawdust4@...>
      > >
      > >How strange that you follow your keep it on track message with two
      > >commercials! Especially the one for phone service, at least the Slovak
      > >recipes are more in tune with this list than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      >
      > Am I missing something? The only thing at the end of Maura's post--as it
      > came through to me--was a ONElist sponsor "commercial", and I think that's
      > something we have to put up with at the end of every message (small price
      > to pay for the convenience of using ONElist, IMHO).
      >
      > Do the messages come through differently for others?
      >
      > Julie Michutka
      > jmm@...

    • mkz
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 1999
        I apologize to the list. I did not realize that a tradition question had
        nothing to do with genealogy.
        Katherine

      • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 1999
          Jim, (and all)

          First, if you're not happy with the rules of this list, feel free to
          find another more to your liking. You can unsubscribe by going to
          http://www.onelist.com , then sign in and unsub.

          If you'd read through the information on the Onelist site, you'd see
          that ALL onelist lists have "commercial tags" at the bottom of each
          message. It's how they allow us to have these lists for free. And for
          your further information, even Rootsweb is now going to commercial
          taglines on nearly all its lists, unless the listowner -pays- for the
          privilege of not having them.

          This list was created to give those of us searching in the Slovak
          Republics/Hungary area a place/list to use without constant threads on
          chicken soup and home remedies that often pop up on certain other Slovak
          lists. Traditions -can- be a part of a genealogy search, but unless the
          question directly relates to genealogy (for example a Saints Name Day or
          naming patterns or some historical event) then its off topic and not to
          be posted to this list.
          This is clearly spelled out in the Welcome Message you recieve when you
          join this list, so no one can say they didn't know about it.

          Again, if you're not happy with that, you may be happier on another list
          where people don't mind wading through the off topic posts to find
          something related to genealogy.

          I now consider this the end of this discussion. If you care to respond,
          please do so to me privately, not to the list.

          Maura Petzolt
          Listowner SLOVAK-ROOTS

          Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          sabinov@...
          Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        • Joyce Bracken
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29, 1999
            Maura,

            Good for you! I love this list just as it is.

            Joyce