Re: Scope of this list

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28 5:39 PM
      At 05:36 PM 9/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
      >From: jim sagat <sawdust4@...>
      >
      >How strange that you follow your keep it on track message with two
      >commercials! Especially the one for phone service, at least the Slovak
      >recipes are more in tune with this list than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Am I missing something? The only thing at the end of Maura's post--as it
      came through to me--was a ONElist sponsor "commercial", and I think that's
      something we have to put up with at the end of every message (small price
      to pay for the convenience of using ONElist, IMHO).

      Do the messages come through differently for others?

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Joyce Bracken
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 28 5:45 PM
        Julie,
        You are absolutely right. This list is for genealogists only and that's
        why most of us are on it.

        Joyce

        > From: "J. Michutka" <jmm@...>
        >
        > At 05:36 PM 9/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
        > >From: jim sagat <sawdust4@...>
        > >
        > >How strange that you follow your keep it on track message with two
        > >commercials! Especially the one for phone service, at least the Slovak
        > >recipes are more in tune with this list than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        >
        > Am I missing something? The only thing at the end of Maura's post--as it
        > came through to me--was a ONElist sponsor "commercial", and I think that's
        > something we have to put up with at the end of every message (small price
        > to pay for the convenience of using ONElist, IMHO).
        >
        > Do the messages come through differently for others?
        >
        > Julie Michutka
        > jmm@...

      • mkz
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29 4:52 AM
          I apologize to the list. I did not realize that a tradition question had
          nothing to do with genealogy.
          Katherine

        • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29 12:13 PM
            Jim, (and all)

            First, if you're not happy with the rules of this list, feel free to
            find another more to your liking. You can unsubscribe by going to
            http://www.onelist.com , then sign in and unsub.

            If you'd read through the information on the Onelist site, you'd see
            that ALL onelist lists have "commercial tags" at the bottom of each
            message. It's how they allow us to have these lists for free. And for
            your further information, even Rootsweb is now going to commercial
            taglines on nearly all its lists, unless the listowner -pays- for the
            privilege of not having them.

            This list was created to give those of us searching in the Slovak
            Republics/Hungary area a place/list to use without constant threads on
            chicken soup and home remedies that often pop up on certain other Slovak
            lists. Traditions -can- be a part of a genealogy search, but unless the
            question directly relates to genealogy (for example a Saints Name Day or
            naming patterns or some historical event) then its off topic and not to
            be posted to this list.
            This is clearly spelled out in the Welcome Message you recieve when you
            join this list, so no one can say they didn't know about it.

            Again, if you're not happy with that, you may be happier on another list
            where people don't mind wading through the off topic posts to find
            something related to genealogy.

            I now consider this the end of this discussion. If you care to respond,
            please do so to me privately, not to the list.

            Maura Petzolt
            Listowner SLOVAK-ROOTS

            Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
            sabinov@...
            Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
          • Joyce Bracken
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 29 7:40 PM
              Maura,

              Good for you! I love this list just as it is.

              Joyce