Skip to search.

ORESKY, MACENKA, OHRISKA and SLIVKA

  • Wayne Cunneyworth
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2001
      Dobry Den and Greetings from British Columbia, Canada!

      I am descended from Michal Oresky (1863-????) and Anna Macenka (1872-????)
      who lived in Bezovce, Slovakia, near the current Ukranian border. Their son
      (my grandfather), Juraj Oresky (1901-1981), came to Canada in 1926. His wife
      Maria Ohriska (1902-1983), originally from Jenkovce, came to Canada in 1929
      with their first son Juraj. Their second child, my mother Mary, was born in
      Toronto in 1930.

      Juraj Oresky had 11 brothers and sisters, including Michael, John (Jan),
      Joseph, Mary (Maria), Elizabeth and Anna. His brother Michael Oresky and
      wife Anna emigrated to Philadelphia, PA in the USA. I understand that there
      are also Oreskys in Porostov, but I don't know how they are related, if at
      all.

      Part of my Oresky/Macenka family tree is shown below:

      Michal Oresky (1863-????) / Anna Macenka (1872-????)
      Descendants:
      1. Juraj Oresky (1901-1981) / Maria Ohriskova (1902-1983)
      1.1 Juraj "George" Joseph Oresky
      1.2 Mary Angela Oresky / Ronald Cunneyworth (my parents)
      1.3 John Oresky
      2. Michael Oresky / Anna Unknown (emigrated to USA)
      3. John Oresky
      4. Joseph Oresky
      5. Mary (Maria) Oreska
      6. Elizabeth Oreska
      7. Anna Oreska / Unknown

      My grandmother Maria Ohriskova's parents were:
      Jan Ohriska / Maria Slivka.

      I would like very much to know more about the Oresky, Macenka, Ohriska and
      Slivka families in Slovakia and in North America. Any information would be
      appreciated!

      D`akujem!

      Wayne Cunneyworth
      Cherryville, BC
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 22, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Wayne Cunneyworth" <wcworth@m...> wrote:
        > Dobry Den and Greetings from British Columbia, Canada!
        >
        > I am descended from Michal Oresky (1863-????) and Anna Macenka (1872-????=
        )
        > who lived in Bezovce, Slovakia, near the current Ukranian border. Their s=
        on
        > (my grandfather), Juraj Oresky (1901-1981), came to Canada in 1926. His w=
        ife
        > Maria Ohriska (1902-1983), originally from Jenkovce, came to Canada in 19=
        29
        > with their first son Juraj. Their second child, my mother Mary, was born =
        in
        > Toronto in 1930.
        >
        > Juraj Oresky had 11 brothers and sisters, including Michael, John (Jan),
        > Joseph, Mary (Maria), Elizabeth and Anna. His brother Michael Oresky and
        > wife Anna emigrated to Philadelphia, PA in the USA. I understand that th=
        ere
        > are also Oreskys in Porostov, but I don't know how they are related, if a=
        > all.
        >
        > Part of my Oresky/Macenka family tree is shown below:
        >
        > Michal Oresky (1863-????) / Anna Macenka (1872-????)
        > Descendants:
        > 1. Juraj Oresky (1901-1981) / Maria Ohriskova (1902-1983)
        > 1.1 Juraj "George" Joseph Oresky
        > 1.2 Mary Angela Oresky / Ronald Cunneyworth (my parents)
        > 1.3 John Oresky
        > 2. Michael Oresky / Anna Unknown (emigrated to USA)
        > 3. John Oresky
        > 4. Joseph Oresky
        > 5. Mary (Maria) Oreska
        > 6. Elizabeth Oreska
        > 7. Anna Oreska / Unknown
        >
        > My grandmother Maria Ohriskova's parents were:
        > Jan Ohriska / Maria Slivka.
        >
        > I would like very much to know more about the Oresky, Macenka, Ohriska an=
        > Slivka families in Slovakia and in North America. Any information would =
        be
        > appreciated!
        >
        > D`akujem!
        >
        > Wayne Cunneyworth
        > Cherryville, BC

        Dobry' vecer.

        Don't know your surnames.

        Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
        part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
        part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
        Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

        Bez^ovce (Sk) Bezo" (H) was once a Carptho-Rusyn village, 1806
        located in old Hungarian county Ung megye.

        The area of today's Karpatho-Ukraine was part of the Kingdom of
        Hungary from the 10th century to 1919, and formed the counties,
        comitatus in Latin - which was the legal language of
        administration until 1844, Komitat or Gespannschaft in German,
        megye in Magyar), of Ung, (capital Ungvár), Bereg (Beregszasz),
        U-gocsa (Nagy-Szállos), and Máramaros (Marmaros-Szighet).
        They did not form a special administrative area during Hungarian
        rule.

        After WW I peace treaty (1920) the newly formed country of Czechoslovakia
        was formed from Bohemia, Moravia, and Austrian-Silesia and Slovakia
        and Karpatho-Ukraine.

        In 1939, Hungary forcibily annexed Subcarpathian Rus' then part of
        Czechoslovakia.

        In 1945, Czechoslovakia was restored back to its pre-Munich borders,
        less Subcarpathian Rus' which the Soviet Union kept.
        The Karpatho-Ukraine was annexed in June 1945 by the Soviet Union.
        Since 1991, it is part of the independent Republic Ukraine.

        Today, Bez^ovce is located 233 miles east of Bratislava in okres (district)=

        Michalovce (Sk) in eastern Slovakia.

        The LDS-Mormons have filmed its Greek Catholic parish church records
        (1789-1906)
        Text in Latin and Hungarian.

        film #
        1792004

        The LDS-Mormons have filmed its Roman Catholic matriky (1789-1899)
        Text in latin and Hungarian.

        film #
        1792761
        1792762

        Porostov (Porostovo) Porosztó (H) is located 235 miles east of
        Bratislava and south of Sobrance in eastern Slovakia.

        Its R.C. records are included with those of Bez^ovce above.

        Its G.C. records (1876-1906)
        Text in Hungarian.

        film #
        1793237