Re: [S-R] Zajac - Kralik

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 22, 2001
      They are all silly Wabbits to me, Bugs, but even the Germans are very
      careful to distinguish between rabbits and hares. Never caring for
      splitting hairs, I don't much care until they fall into the cooking pot.

      RUSSIAN RABBIT STEW

      1 Wabbit
      40 pounds carrots
      60 pounds cabbage
      1 horse
      1 lb pepper
      salt to taste

      Russian Rabbit Stew
      add vodka

      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 22, 2001
        This actually won't help one hoot; however, I remember
        a nursery rhyme, not sure if it's Hungarian, Slovak,
        Czech or Russian, but it is about a hunter shooting a
        rabbit and the interesting (memorable) part goes
        something like:

        "Pic-poc zoychick moi!"

        My mother used to say it meant bing, bang, the rabbit
        dies. So "zajac" if pronounced "zoychick" is
        definitely EU (somewhere) for rabbit.

        Caye

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • John
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 22, 2001
          At 11:23 PM 10/21/01 -0800, you wrote:
          >They are all silly Wabbits to me, Bugs, but even the Germans are very
          >careful to distinguish between rabbits and hares. Never caring for
          >splitting hairs, I don't much care until they fall into the cooking pot.

          That's Doc Q's line. ;-) Great recipe and great laugh. Really caught my
          funny bone. Today my ex-news reporter daughter mentioned the Argentinean
          Terrorist story you sent to me. She said she had a great laugh as did I
          with that one. I called CA because my oldest grandson was in the hospital
          as a result of a man bites man story (actually a boy bites boy). He was on
          the trampoline with some cousins when they had a collision and one of his
          cousins had a split lip and bloody nose and my grandson wound up with a
          major infection a couple of days later from a tooth scratch on his leg.

          Janko

        • Milan Huba
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
            Hi John:

            My grandmother was called Anna Zajac. She was born in Liptovska Luzna on 31
            January 1891.

            She obviously is not the same Anna Zajac (Banas) that you are decended from,
            but it is still interesting.

            This really becomes a problem for genealogists when individuals with the
            same name live in the same village at the same time. Researching my
            mother's side of the family, I ran into a dead end when I found three
            different Katarina Krals married to three diffrent Jan Krals living in the
            same city, Malacky, at the very same time. To compound matters, they were
            all near the same age. One of these three couples, presumbably, were the
            parents of my ancestor, but because I couldn't establish the mother's maiden
            name, I couldn't determine which couple were the parents. Tracing sibling
            lines didn't help. This was frustrating.

            I understand that this information is totally useless and won't help
            anybody. I am just venting, expressing my frustration.

            >Since the discussion of Zajac has come up, I have an Anna Zajac that
            >married George Salapa and they lived in the villiage of Lesne in the late
            >1800's to early 1900's. I have not been able to get any exact dates from
            >them because they never came to this country, and I have not had a chance
            >to search that line yet. I just wanted to mention in case anyone else had
            >a connection with their tree.
            >
            >Thanks,

            I believe the microfilms of Lesne church registers are located in the
            following:

            Pusté Cemerné - Greek Catholic
            Nizny Hrusov - Roman Catholic
            Banovce Nad Ondavou - Reformed Church

            You can get the LDS microfilm numbers by doing a place search using the
            above locations at the following site:

            John

          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
              I've always wondered how EVERYONE in the town cannot
              be somehow related -- c'mon, there was no birth
              control -- I mean, scientifically speaking, there just
              has to be some tie, no matter how distant. Maybe I'm
              nutz, but I think it makes some sense, actually total
              sense.

              Caye

              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                Caye,

                I'll give you 60% agreement on everyone being related. The other 40% were
                moving around and passing through the village, newcomers and migrants from
                the village to somewhere else. This genealogy is a nice academic exercise
                as to relationships on paper - and who is related in reality is not so
                certain. In the worst case "mommy's baby is daddy's - maybe." I don't have
                much faith in the accuracy of genealogy. The truth is in the genes.

                Ron

                > I've always wondered how EVERYONE in the town cannot
                > be somehow related -- c'mon, there was no birth
                > control -- I mean, scientifically speaking, there just
                > has to be some tie, no matter how distant. Maybe I'm
                > nutz, but I think it makes some sense, actually total
                > sense.
                >
                > Caye
                >

                > --- Milan Huba <illy@...> wrote:
                > > Hi John:
                > >
                > > My grandmother was called Anna Zajac. She was born
                > > in Liptovska Luzna on 31
                > > January 1891.
                > >
                > > She obviously is not the same Anna Zajac (Banas)
                > > that you are decended from,
                > > but it is still interesting.
                > >
                > > This really becomes a problem for genealogists when
                > > individuals with the
                > > same name live in the same village at the same time.
                > > Researching my
                > > mother's side of the family, I ran into a dead end
                > > when I found three
                > > different Katarina Krals married to three diffrent
                > > Jan Krals living in the
                > > same city, Malacky, at the very same time. To
                > > compound matters, they were
                > > all near the same age. One of these three couples,
                > > presumbably, were the
                > > parents of my ancestor, but because I couldn't
                > > establish the mother's maiden
                > > name, I couldn't determine which couple were the
                > > parents. Tracing sibling
                > > lines didn't help. This was frustrating.
                > >
                > > I understand that this information is totally
                > > useless and won't help
                > > anybody. I am just venting, expressing my
                > > frustration.

              • John Venham
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                  Hello

                  I am currently doing genealogical research in the
                  archives in Bytca, and later will be in Kosice. If
                  you have any requests, or want to check information
                  provided by the archivists, please let me know.

                  Thank You,

                  John

                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                • Milan Huba
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                    Going back 100 years, nearly everyone in small Slovak villages were related.
                    This was in part because the villages were isolated from one another, there
                    was very poor transportation (horse and wagon) and people just didn't have
                    any reason to visit other villages. People normally were born, married and
                    later buried in the same village. And of course when they did get married,
                    they married some one from the same village, quite often a second or third
                    cousins. I know of many examples of this in my family and in other
                    families.

                    When I was a little boy, I lived in a town called Liptovska Luzna. The
                    nearest town was Liptovska Osada, perhaps 10 to 15 kilometers away. The
                    first time I happened to go to Osada was when I was about 10 years old.
                    (Prior to that, apparently my family had no reason to go there.) My first
                    impression was that the people in Osada talked funny. They were talking in
                    a different Slovak dialect. I also noted that the woman dressed
                    differently, a different kroj (distinctive dress). I have concluded that
                    the reason for these differences was that the people in the two villages
                    didn't mix or interact with one another and over the years the dress, the
                    language and the customs went in different directions or developed on
                    different tracts.

                    Getting back to my original point, years ago, the people who lived in small
                    villages just didn't move around much, and more or less, lived their entire
                    lives in the villages in which they were born. Moves were usually prompted
                    by some crisis... Unless there were big problem, the villagers tended to
                    live their entire lives in the homes of their ancestors and when they
                    married, they usually ended up marrying distant relatives.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                      I just KNEW my science sounded sound, thanks for the
                      confirmation.

                      Caye

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                        I can live with 60%, thanks Ron, I just knew I was
                        onto something -- even if it isn't all that pleasant
                        to think about. Right DNA is a much more reliable way
                        to determine relationships.

                        Caye

                      • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                          Dear Milan

                          that's interesting. I just wanted to let you know that I was born in Malacky and I will be going back at Christmas to see my family. It is nice to know somebody who is reserching in the same town. So if you need any more help I can try to search round when I am there.

                          Regards,

                          Sylvia

                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 27, 2001
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Milan Huba" <illy@f...> wrote:
                            > Hi John:
                            >
                            > My grandmother was called Anna Zajac. She was born in Liptovska Luzna on=
                            31
                            > January 1891.
                            >
                            > She obviously is not the same Anna Zajac (Banas) that you are decended fr=
                            om,
                            > but it is still interesting.
                            >
                            > This really becomes a problem for genealogists when individuals with the
                            > same name live in the same village at the same time. Researching my
                            > mother's side of the family, I ran into a dead end when I found three
                            > different Katarina Krals married to three diffrent Jan Krals living in th=
                            > same city, Malacky, at the very same time. To compound matters, they wer=
                            > all near the same age. One of these three couples, presumbably, were the=

                            > parents of my ancestor, but because I couldn't establish the mother's mai=
                            den
                            > name, I couldn't determine which couple were the parents. Tracing siblin=
                            > lines didn't help. This was frustrating.
                            >
                            > I understand that this information is totally useless and won't help
                            > anybody. I am just venting, expressing my frustration.

                            This is one reason the use of 'aliases' (two surnames) also known
                            as antenames or binames was developed.
                            Usually two different surnames separated by a hyphen in records.
                            To prevent such confusion.
                            Sometimes such a surname bearer used one surname when at village and
                            another surname when traveling away from his village of origin. =

                            English Slovak Czech Polish Slovene =

                            hare zajac zajíc zajac zajec =

                            rabbit zajac zajíc zajac zajec =

                            krá'lik králík krolik kúnec =

                            duck kac^ica kachna kaczka ráca =

                            chicken kurc^a kurcze kuretina =

                            kura kure =

                            hen sliepka slepice kura kura =

                            kokos^ =

                            goose hus husa ges' gos =

                            English Croatian

                            hare zec

                            rabbit zec
                            kunic'

                            duck patka

                            chicken kokos^

                            hen kvoc^ka

                            goose gus

                            English Russian

                            hare pron. zayats

                            rabbit pron. zayats
                            pron. kroleek

                            duck pron. utka

                            chicken pron. kureetsa

                            hen pron. kureetsa

                            goose pron. gus

                            My surname is derived from word for a chicken farmer or
                            a poultry man as in Slovak above.
                            And in Croatian the surname means something entirely
                            different.

                          • Alan ANTOSKA
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 27, 2001
                              Ahoj John,
                              I am currently in Lipt. Mikulas at an internet caffe.
                              Could you please enquire if the Bytca archives hold any
                              Evangelical parish registers �matryky� for Vrbica prior
                              to 1844?
                              Thanks in advance.
                              --- John Venham <jevenham@...> wrote:
                              > Hello
                              >
                              > I am currently doing genealogical research in the
                              > archives in Bytca, and later will be in Kosice. If
                              > you have any requests, or want to check information
                              > provided by the archivists, please let me know.
                              >
                              > Thank You,
                              >
                              > John

                              http://personals.yahoo.com
                            • Daniel Kisha
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 27, 2001
                                Kral must be a common surname in Slovakia. The Kral surname is in my direct
                                line of ancestors from Krpelany, (near Martin) Slovakia. Does Kral mean
                                king in Slovak? Are there any interesting facts or stories about that
                                name.

                                Dan Kisha

                                =

                                =

                                =

                                =

                                > English Croatian
                                >
                                > hare zec
                                >
                                > rabbit zec
                                > kunic'
                                >
                                > duck patka
                                >
                                > chicken kokos^
                                >
                                > hen kvoc^ka
                                >
                                > goose gus
                                >

                                > English Russian
                                >
                                > hare pron. zayats
                                >
                                > rabbit pron. zayats
                                > pron. kroleek
                                >
                                > duck pron. utka
                                >
                                > chicken pron. kureetsa
                                >
                                > hen pron. kureetsa
                                >
                                > goose pron. gus
                                >

                                > My surname is derived from word for a chicken farmer or
                                > a poultry man as in Slovak above.
                                > And in Croatian the surname means something entirely
                                > different.

                              • Fred Corbett
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 27, 2001
                                  Hello to all with an interest in the Kral's of Malacky, Slovakia.

                                  My wife, Theresa Catherine Kral (Maiden Name) was the only daughter of August
                                  Ludvig Kral and Pavla Smida each of whom were born in Malacky, Slovakia. We
                                  have visited Malacky three times in the past five years and Terry has been
                                  pleased to find many first cousins from both the Kral as well as the Smida
                                  lines. We have been able to trace the Kral line back to Vavrinec Kral, born
                                  about 1705 in Malackza, Pozsony, Austria.

                                  I will be pleased to exchange our Kral - Smida data with any one that has an
                                  interest in these family lines. Interestingly enough, the Kral's and Smida's
                                  were static families. All were from a location within a 15 mile radius of
                                  downtown Malacky. Kostoliste being the furthest location.

                                  To answer Dan's question, it is my opinion that "Kral" means "of the king", or
                                  "of the kings household".

                                  Hope to hear from you and exchanging Kral information - Terry and Fred

                                  Daniel Kisha wrote:

                                  > Kral must be a common surname in Slovakia. The Kral surname is in my direct
                                  > line of ancestors from Krpelany, (near Martin) Slovakia. Does Kral mean
                                  > king in Slovak? Are there any interesting facts or stories about that
                                  > name.
                                  >
                                  > Dan Kisha

                                • Ron Matviyak
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 27, 2001
                                    Fred gave a great answer and I can contribute only two side stories that may
                                    or may not be related. I do know a Krahle in Germany, and do believe his
                                    family came from Eastern Central Europe. Since Slovak is phonetic and
                                    spelling was only codified in the last century, I would approach Kral and
                                    Krahle with suspicion that they could be the same. Could be...

                                    There is also a charming Krahle restaurant in Tallinn, Estonia. If you ever
                                    get up that way I do recommend stopping in!

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 31, 2001
                                      Hi Fred:

                                      I believe that we exchanged some information on the Kral family from Malacky
                                      about two or three years ago. Since then, I have moved and in the process
                                      of packing I stumbled across some more information that I had put away.
                                      Please contact me directly. My email address is illy@....

                                      Milan Huba
                                      > Hello to all with an interest in the Kral's of Malacky, Slovakia.
                                      >
                                      > My wife, Theresa Catherine Kral (Maiden Name) was the only daughter of
                                      August
                                      > Ludvig Kral and Pavla Smida each of whom were born in Malacky, Slovakia.
                                      We
                                      > have visited Malacky three times in the past five years and Terry has been
                                      > pleased to find many first cousins from both the Kral as well as the Smida
                                      > lines. We have been able to trace the Kral line back to Vavrinec Kral,
                                      born
                                      > about 1705 in Malackza, Pozsony, Austria.
                                      >
                                      > I will be pleased to exchange our Kral - Smida data with any one that has
                                      an
                                      > interest in these family lines. Interestingly enough, the Kral's and
                                      Smida's
                                      > were static families. All were from a location within a 15 mile radius of
                                      > downtown Malacky. Kostoliste being the furthest location.
                                      >
                                      > To answer Dan's question, it is my opinion that "Kral" means "of the
                                      king", or
                                      > "of the kings household".
                                      >
                                      > Hope to hear from you and exchanging Kral information - Terry and Fred
                                      >
                                      > Daniel Kisha wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Kral must be a common surname in Slovakia. The Kral surname is in my
                                      direct
                                      > > line of ancestors from Krpelany, (near Martin) Slovakia. Does Kral mean
                                      > > king in Slovak? Are there any interesting facts or stories about that
                                      > > name.
                                      > >
                                      > > Dan Kisha

                                    • Milan Huba

                                        =

                                        =

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 1, 2001
                                          Hello Milan - Thanks for the contact. I am a bit surprised at your email
                                          address, Illy@.... Is the name Illy a family name? or a nickname. Terry
                                          has an old family picture of a group of Slovak men posed with their musical
                                          instruments and labeled with the name "Illy". Specifically, the Bass Drum is
                                          Labeled

                                          "NA ROZLUCUCENIE
                                          ILLYM
                                          1 OKT.1925"

                                          The picture is of a group of 14 men of about 25 to 30 years of age. The "ILLYM"
                                          is in large letters

                                          Would you llike a copy of the picture?. Would you want a printout or would you
                                          like it scanned and I email the file in JPG format?

                                          Yes I would like to share any additional information you may have on Malacky or
                                          the Kral's

                                          Fred

                                        • Marny Janson
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 4, 2001
                                            Hello John -
                                            Are you still in Bytca? I'm interested in knowing what records are available in the archive. My Sekac family from Turzovka should show up there. I have far too many requests to take up your time, but if I could find out what information is available in the archive I could someday know what to ask a researcher. Is there information for the years after 1895, when the microfilmed church records end? How early do the records there begin? Do I need to know the village that my gr grandmother died in to find her death certificate?
                                            If you do have a spare minute :) could you see if there is death information for my gr grandfather, Ignatz Kompanak between 1895 and 1912?
                                            The answers to any of these questions would be a big help - and good luck with your research - how wonderful to be able to go do it in person!
                                            Sincerely,
                                            Marny Sekac Janson
                                            New Paltz, NY

                                            n 10/26/2001 - 14:38, John Venham wrote:

                                            > Hello
                                            >
                                            > I am currently doing genealogical research in the
                                            > archives in Bytca, and later will be in Kosice. If
                                            > you have any requests, or want to check information
                                            > provided by the archivists, please let me know.
                                            >
                                            > Thank You,
                                            >
                                            > John

                                          • John Venham
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 6, 2001
                                              Mr. Antoska,

                                              Sorry this is belated. There are no Evangelical
                                              Parish Registers for Vrbica prior to 1844. The Roman
                                              Catholic registers, however, do go back at least
                                              another 50 years.

                                              Whats Liptovsky Mikulas like? Worth a visit?

                                              Thank You

                                              John

                                              --- Alan ANTOSKA <aantoska@...> wrote:
                                              > Ahoj John,
                                              > I am currently in Lipt. Mikulas at an internet
                                              > caffe.
                                              > Could you please enquire if the Bytca archives hold
                                              > any
                                              > Evangelical parish registers �matryky� for Vrbica
                                              > prior
                                              > to 1844?
                                              > Thanks in advance.
                                              > --- John Venham <jevenham@...> wrote:
                                              > > Hello
                                              > >
                                              > > I am currently doing genealogical research in the
                                              > > archives in Bytca, and later will be in Kosice.
                                              > If
                                              > > you have any requests, or want to check
                                              > information
                                              > > provided by the archivists, please let me know.
                                              > >
                                              > > Thank You,
                                              > >
                                              > > John

                                              Find a job, post your resume.
                                              http://careers.yahoo.com
                                            • Milan Huba
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 6, 2001
                                                If you happen to be in the area, you might as well stop and look around.
                                                You might find something in Mikulas to be of interest. However, there are
                                                many more interesting places to visit in Slovakia.