Re: [S-R] Zajac - Kralik

  • John
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 21, 2001
      At 09:05 PM 10/21/01 -0400, you wrote:
      >Since the discussion of Zajac has come up, I have an Anna Zajac that
      >married George Salapa and they lived in the villiage of Lesne in the late
      >1800's to early 1900's. I have not been able to get any exact dates from
      >them because they never came to this country, and I have not had a chance
      >to search that line yet. I just wanted to mention in case anyone else had
      >a connection with their tree.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Tom Salapa

      Using the online SK phone directory I found:

      Anton Šalapa Lesné
      Ján Šalapa Lesné
      Juraj Šalapa Lesné

      Other than these, I found two in Kosice and two in Michalovce and one in
      Humenne and Bratislava. I think 3 of the six had a MUDr title, which I
      believe is the same as MD in the US. I also found eight Zajac/Zajacova in
      Michalovce.

      John
    • Dr. Quashnock
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 21, 2001
        Perhaps, but it didn't taste like chicken either, it was rabbit.

        The point is zajac is a rabbit in north eastern slovakia or they don't make a distinction between a rabbit or hare - - - what is the difference? I am not as well read as you, I haven't heard of Nina Trnka's "Hippocrene Concise...".

        (Slivovice is not a dog, I beleive thet is pes!)

        Dr. "Q"

        From: John <jmatsko4@...>
        Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:21:34 -0600

        >At 05:51 PM 10/21/01 -0700, you wrote:
        >>It could very well some sort of local term, but then the term "hare" isn't
        >>used much in the US either. There are other terms in the US similar to
        >>this. While there are some taxonomic distinctions between a turtle,
        >>tortise, and terrapin, it's still called a turtle.
        >>
        >>Dr. "Q"
        >
        >Pardon moi Joe Q, but two online and Nina Trnka's "Hippocrene Concise
        >Dictionary" list rabbit as kralik and hare as zajac. Taxonomic
        >distinctions are a bit specious for me. I'm more interested in gastronomic
        >distinctions. Perhaps you were being served some of the "hare of the dog
        >that bit you" following a night out on Bardejov. ;-)
        >
        >John

        Sent via the WebMail system at InterComm.com!
      • Ron Matviyak
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 22, 2001
          They are all silly Wabbits to me, Bugs, but even the Germans are very
          careful to distinguish between rabbits and hares. Never caring for
          splitting hairs, I don't much care until they fall into the cooking pot.

          RUSSIAN RABBIT STEW

          1 Wabbit
          40 pounds carrots
          60 pounds cabbage
          1 horse
          1 lb pepper
          salt to taste

          Russian Rabbit Stew
          add vodka

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 22, 2001
            This actually won't help one hoot; however, I remember
            a nursery rhyme, not sure if it's Hungarian, Slovak,
            Czech or Russian, but it is about a hunter shooting a
            rabbit and the interesting (memorable) part goes
            something like:

            "Pic-poc zoychick moi!"

            My mother used to say it meant bing, bang, the rabbit
            dies. So "zajac" if pronounced "zoychick" is
            definitely EU (somewhere) for rabbit.

            Caye

            http://personals.yahoo.com
          • John
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 22, 2001
              At 11:23 PM 10/21/01 -0800, you wrote:
              >They are all silly Wabbits to me, Bugs, but even the Germans are very
              >careful to distinguish between rabbits and hares. Never caring for
              >splitting hairs, I don't much care until they fall into the cooking pot.

              That's Doc Q's line. ;-) Great recipe and great laugh. Really caught my
              funny bone. Today my ex-news reporter daughter mentioned the Argentinean
              Terrorist story you sent to me. She said she had a great laugh as did I
              with that one. I called CA because my oldest grandson was in the hospital
              as a result of a man bites man story (actually a boy bites boy). He was on
              the trampoline with some cousins when they had a collision and one of his
              cousins had a split lip and bloody nose and my grandson wound up with a
              major infection a couple of days later from a tooth scratch on his leg.

              Janko

            • Milan Huba
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                Hi John:

                My grandmother was called Anna Zajac. She was born in Liptovska Luzna on 31
                January 1891.

                She obviously is not the same Anna Zajac (Banas) that you are decended from,
                but it is still interesting.

                This really becomes a problem for genealogists when individuals with the
                same name live in the same village at the same time. Researching my
                mother's side of the family, I ran into a dead end when I found three
                different Katarina Krals married to three diffrent Jan Krals living in the
                same city, Malacky, at the very same time. To compound matters, they were
                all near the same age. One of these three couples, presumbably, were the
                parents of my ancestor, but because I couldn't establish the mother's maiden
                name, I couldn't determine which couple were the parents. Tracing sibling
                lines didn't help. This was frustrating.

                I understand that this information is totally useless and won't help
                anybody. I am just venting, expressing my frustration.

                >Since the discussion of Zajac has come up, I have an Anna Zajac that
                >married George Salapa and they lived in the villiage of Lesne in the late
                >1800's to early 1900's. I have not been able to get any exact dates from
                >them because they never came to this country, and I have not had a chance
                >to search that line yet. I just wanted to mention in case anyone else had
                >a connection with their tree.
                >
                >Thanks,

                I believe the microfilms of Lesne church registers are located in the
                following:

                Pusté Cemerné - Greek Catholic
                Nizny Hrusov - Roman Catholic
                Banovce Nad Ondavou - Reformed Church

                You can get the LDS microfilm numbers by doing a place search using the
                above locations at the following site:

                John

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                  I've always wondered how EVERYONE in the town cannot
                  be somehow related -- c'mon, there was no birth
                  control -- I mean, scientifically speaking, there just
                  has to be some tie, no matter how distant. Maybe I'm
                  nutz, but I think it makes some sense, actually total
                  sense.

                  Caye

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                    Caye,

                    I'll give you 60% agreement on everyone being related. The other 40% were
                    moving around and passing through the village, newcomers and migrants from
                    the village to somewhere else. This genealogy is a nice academic exercise
                    as to relationships on paper - and who is related in reality is not so
                    certain. In the worst case "mommy's baby is daddy's - maybe." I don't have
                    much faith in the accuracy of genealogy. The truth is in the genes.

                    Ron

                    > I've always wondered how EVERYONE in the town cannot
                    > be somehow related -- c'mon, there was no birth
                    > control -- I mean, scientifically speaking, there just
                    > has to be some tie, no matter how distant. Maybe I'm
                    > nutz, but I think it makes some sense, actually total
                    > sense.
                    >
                    > Caye
                    >

                    > --- Milan Huba <illy@...> wrote:
                    > > Hi John:
                    > >
                    > > My grandmother was called Anna Zajac. She was born
                    > > in Liptovska Luzna on 31
                    > > January 1891.
                    > >
                    > > She obviously is not the same Anna Zajac (Banas)
                    > > that you are decended from,
                    > > but it is still interesting.
                    > >
                    > > This really becomes a problem for genealogists when
                    > > individuals with the
                    > > same name live in the same village at the same time.
                    > > Researching my
                    > > mother's side of the family, I ran into a dead end
                    > > when I found three
                    > > different Katarina Krals married to three diffrent
                    > > Jan Krals living in the
                    > > same city, Malacky, at the very same time. To
                    > > compound matters, they were
                    > > all near the same age. One of these three couples,
                    > > presumbably, were the
                    > > parents of my ancestor, but because I couldn't
                    > > establish the mother's maiden
                    > > name, I couldn't determine which couple were the
                    > > parents. Tracing sibling
                    > > lines didn't help. This was frustrating.
                    > >
                    > > I understand that this information is totally
                    > > useless and won't help
                    > > anybody. I am just venting, expressing my
                    > > frustration.

                  • John Venham
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                      Hello

                      I am currently doing genealogical research in the
                      archives in Bytca, and later will be in Kosice. If
                      you have any requests, or want to check information
                      provided by the archivists, please let me know.

                      Thank You,

                      John

                      http://personals.yahoo.com
                    • Milan Huba
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                        Going back 100 years, nearly everyone in small Slovak villages were related.
                        This was in part because the villages were isolated from one another, there
                        was very poor transportation (horse and wagon) and people just didn't have
                        any reason to visit other villages. People normally were born, married and
                        later buried in the same village. And of course when they did get married,
                        they married some one from the same village, quite often a second or third
                        cousins. I know of many examples of this in my family and in other
                        families.

                        When I was a little boy, I lived in a town called Liptovska Luzna. The
                        nearest town was Liptovska Osada, perhaps 10 to 15 kilometers away. The
                        first time I happened to go to Osada was when I was about 10 years old.
                        (Prior to that, apparently my family had no reason to go there.) My first
                        impression was that the people in Osada talked funny. They were talking in
                        a different Slovak dialect. I also noted that the woman dressed
                        differently, a different kroj (distinctive dress). I have concluded that
                        the reason for these differences was that the people in the two villages
                        didn't mix or interact with one another and over the years the dress, the
                        language and the customs went in different directions or developed on
                        different tracts.

                        Getting back to my original point, years ago, the people who lived in small
                        villages just didn't move around much, and more or less, lived their entire
                        lives in the villages in which they were born. Moves were usually prompted
                        by some crisis... Unless there were big problem, the villagers tended to
                        live their entire lives in the homes of their ancestors and when they
                        married, they usually ended up marrying distant relatives.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                          I just KNEW my science sounded sound, thanks for the
                          confirmation.

                          Caye

                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                            I can live with 60%, thanks Ron, I just knew I was
                            onto something -- even if it isn't all that pleasant
                            to think about. Right DNA is a much more reliable way
                            to determine relationships.

                            Caye

                          • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 26, 2001
                              Dear Milan

                              that's interesting. I just wanted to let you know that I was born in Malacky and I will be going back at Christmas to see my family. It is nice to know somebody who is reserching in the same town. So if you need any more help I can try to search round when I am there.

                              Regards,

                              Sylvia

                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 27, 2001
                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Milan Huba" <illy@f...> wrote:
                                > Hi John:
                                >
                                > My grandmother was called Anna Zajac. She was born in Liptovska Luzna on=
                                31
                                > January 1891.
                                >
                                > She obviously is not the same Anna Zajac (Banas) that you are decended fr=
                                om,
                                > but it is still interesting.
                                >
                                > This really becomes a problem for genealogists when individuals with the
                                > same name live in the same village at the same time. Researching my
                                > mother's side of the family, I ran into a dead end when I found three
                                > different Katarina Krals married to three diffrent Jan Krals living in th=
                                > same city, Malacky, at the very same time. To compound matters, they wer=
                                > all near the same age. One of these three couples, presumbably, were the=

                                > parents of my ancestor, but because I couldn't establish the mother's mai=
                                den
                                > name, I couldn't determine which couple were the parents. Tracing siblin=
                                > lines didn't help. This was frustrating.
                                >
                                > I understand that this information is totally useless and won't help
                                > anybody. I am just venting, expressing my frustration.

                                This is one reason the use of 'aliases' (two surnames) also known
                                as antenames or binames was developed.
                                Usually two different surnames separated by a hyphen in records.
                                To prevent such confusion.
                                Sometimes such a surname bearer used one surname when at village and
                                another surname when traveling away from his village of origin. =

                                English Slovak Czech Polish Slovene =

                                hare zajac zajíc zajac zajec =

                                rabbit zajac zajíc zajac zajec =

                                krá'lik králík krolik kúnec =

                                duck kac^ica kachna kaczka ráca =

                                chicken kurc^a kurcze kuretina =

                                kura kure =

                                hen sliepka slepice kura kura =

                                kokos^ =

                                goose hus husa ges' gos =

                                English Croatian

                                hare zec

                                rabbit zec
                                kunic'

                                duck patka

                                chicken kokos^

                                hen kvoc^ka

                                goose gus

                                English Russian

                                hare pron. zayats

                                rabbit pron. zayats
                                pron. kroleek

                                duck pron. utka

                                chicken pron. kureetsa

                                hen pron. kureetsa

                                goose pron. gus

                                My surname is derived from word for a chicken farmer or
                                a poultry man as in Slovak above.
                                And in Croatian the surname means something entirely
                                different.

                              • Alan ANTOSKA
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 27, 2001
                                  Ahoj John,
                                  I am currently in Lipt. Mikulas at an internet caffe.
                                  Could you please enquire if the Bytca archives hold any
                                  Evangelical parish registers �matryky� for Vrbica prior
                                  to 1844?
                                  Thanks in advance.
                                  --- John Venham <jevenham@...> wrote:
                                  > Hello
                                  >
                                  > I am currently doing genealogical research in the
                                  > archives in Bytca, and later will be in Kosice. If
                                  > you have any requests, or want to check information
                                  > provided by the archivists, please let me know.
                                  >
                                  > Thank You,
                                  >
                                  > John

                                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                                • Daniel Kisha
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 27, 2001
                                    Kral must be a common surname in Slovakia. The Kral surname is in my direct
                                    line of ancestors from Krpelany, (near Martin) Slovakia. Does Kral mean
                                    king in Slovak? Are there any interesting facts or stories about that
                                    name.

                                    Dan Kisha

                                    =

                                    =

                                    =

                                    > goose hus husa ges' gos
                                    =

                                    > English Croatian
                                    >
                                    > hare zec
                                    >
                                    > rabbit zec
                                    > kunic'
                                    >
                                    > duck patka
                                    >
                                    > chicken kokos^
                                    >
                                    > hen kvoc^ka
                                    >
                                    > goose gus
                                    >

                                    > English Russian
                                    >
                                    > hare pron. zayats
                                    >
                                    > rabbit pron. zayats
                                    > pron. kroleek
                                    >
                                    > duck pron. utka
                                    >
                                    > chicken pron. kureetsa
                                    >
                                    > hen pron. kureetsa
                                    >
                                    > goose pron. gus
                                    >

                                    > My surname is derived from word for a chicken farmer or
                                    > a poultry man as in Slovak above.
                                    > And in Croatian the surname means something entirely
                                    > different.

                                  • Fred Corbett
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 27, 2001
                                      Hello to all with an interest in the Kral's of Malacky, Slovakia.

                                      My wife, Theresa Catherine Kral (Maiden Name) was the only daughter of August
                                      Ludvig Kral and Pavla Smida each of whom were born in Malacky, Slovakia. We
                                      have visited Malacky three times in the past five years and Terry has been
                                      pleased to find many first cousins from both the Kral as well as the Smida
                                      lines. We have been able to trace the Kral line back to Vavrinec Kral, born
                                      about 1705 in Malackza, Pozsony, Austria.

                                      I will be pleased to exchange our Kral - Smida data with any one that has an
                                      interest in these family lines. Interestingly enough, the Kral's and Smida's
                                      were static families. All were from a location within a 15 mile radius of
                                      downtown Malacky. Kostoliste being the furthest location.

                                      To answer Dan's question, it is my opinion that "Kral" means "of the king", or
                                      "of the kings household".

                                      Hope to hear from you and exchanging Kral information - Terry and Fred

                                      Daniel Kisha wrote:

                                      > Kral must be a common surname in Slovakia. The Kral surname is in my direct
                                      > line of ancestors from Krpelany, (near Martin) Slovakia. Does Kral mean
                                      > king in Slovak? Are there any interesting facts or stories about that
                                      > name.
                                      >
                                      > Dan Kisha

                                    • Ron Matviyak
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 27, 2001
                                        Fred gave a great answer and I can contribute only two side stories that may
                                        or may not be related. I do know a Krahle in Germany, and do believe his
                                        family came from Eastern Central Europe. Since Slovak is phonetic and
                                        spelling was only codified in the last century, I would approach Kral and
                                        Krahle with suspicion that they could be the same. Could be...

                                        There is also a charming Krahle restaurant in Tallinn, Estonia. If you ever
                                        get up that way I do recommend stopping in!

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 31, 2001
                                          Hi Fred:

                                          I believe that we exchanged some information on the Kral family from Malacky
                                          about two or three years ago. Since then, I have moved and in the process
                                          of packing I stumbled across some more information that I had put away.
                                          Please contact me directly. My email address is illy@....

                                          Milan Huba
                                          > Hello to all with an interest in the Kral's of Malacky, Slovakia.
                                          >
                                          > My wife, Theresa Catherine Kral (Maiden Name) was the only daughter of
                                          August
                                          > Ludvig Kral and Pavla Smida each of whom were born in Malacky, Slovakia.
                                          We
                                          > have visited Malacky three times in the past five years and Terry has been
                                          > pleased to find many first cousins from both the Kral as well as the Smida
                                          > lines. We have been able to trace the Kral line back to Vavrinec Kral,
                                          born
                                          > about 1705 in Malackza, Pozsony, Austria.
                                          >
                                          > I will be pleased to exchange our Kral - Smida data with any one that has
                                          an
                                          > interest in these family lines. Interestingly enough, the Kral's and
                                          Smida's
                                          > were static families. All were from a location within a 15 mile radius of
                                          > downtown Malacky. Kostoliste being the furthest location.
                                          >
                                          > To answer Dan's question, it is my opinion that "Kral" means "of the
                                          king", or
                                          > "of the kings household".
                                          >
                                          > Hope to hear from you and exchanging Kral information - Terry and Fred
                                          >
                                          > Daniel Kisha wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > Kral must be a common surname in Slovakia. The Kral surname is in my
                                          direct
                                          > > line of ancestors from Krpelany, (near Martin) Slovakia. Does Kral mean
                                          > > king in Slovak? Are there any interesting facts or stories about that
                                          > > name.
                                          > >
                                          > > Dan Kisha

                                        • Milan Huba
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 31, 2001
                                            Yes, Kral means King in Slovak. There was a very famous poet by the name of
                                            Janko Kral who lived in the Martin area. You could be related.

                                            =

                                            =

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 1, 2001
                                              Hello Milan - Thanks for the contact. I am a bit surprised at your email
                                              address, Illy@.... Is the name Illy a family name? or a nickname. Terry
                                              has an old family picture of a group of Slovak men posed with their musical
                                              instruments and labeled with the name "Illy". Specifically, the Bass Drum is
                                              Labeled

                                              "NA ROZLUCUCENIE
                                              ILLYM
                                              1 OKT.1925"

                                              The picture is of a group of 14 men of about 25 to 30 years of age. The "ILLYM"
                                              is in large letters

                                              Would you llike a copy of the picture?. Would you want a printout or would you
                                              like it scanned and I email the file in JPG format?

                                              Yes I would like to share any additional information you may have on Malacky or
                                              the Kral's

                                              Fred

                                            • Marny Janson
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 4, 2001
                                                Hello John -
                                                Are you still in Bytca? I'm interested in knowing what records are available in the archive. My Sekac family from Turzovka should show up there. I have far too many requests to take up your time, but if I could find out what information is available in the archive I could someday know what to ask a researcher. Is there information for the years after 1895, when the microfilmed church records end? How early do the records there begin? Do I need to know the village that my gr grandmother died in to find her death certificate?
                                                If you do have a spare minute :) could you see if there is death information for my gr grandfather, Ignatz Kompanak between 1895 and 1912?
                                                The answers to any of these questions would be a big help - and good luck with your research - how wonderful to be able to go do it in person!
                                                Sincerely,
                                                Marny Sekac Janson
                                                New Paltz, NY

                                                n 10/26/2001 - 14:38, John Venham wrote:

                                                > Hello
                                                >
                                                > I am currently doing genealogical research in the
                                                > archives in Bytca, and later will be in Kosice. If
                                                > you have any requests, or want to check information
                                                > provided by the archivists, please let me know.
                                                >
                                                > Thank You,
                                                >
                                                > John

                                              • John Venham
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 6, 2001
                                                  Mr. Antoska,

                                                  Sorry this is belated. There are no Evangelical
                                                  Parish Registers for Vrbica prior to 1844. The Roman
                                                  Catholic registers, however, do go back at least
                                                  another 50 years.

                                                  Whats Liptovsky Mikulas like? Worth a visit?

                                                  Thank You

                                                  John

                                                  --- Alan ANTOSKA <aantoska@...> wrote:
                                                  > Ahoj John,
                                                  > I am currently in Lipt. Mikulas at an internet
                                                  > caffe.
                                                  > Could you please enquire if the Bytca archives hold
                                                  > any
                                                  > Evangelical parish registers �matryky� for Vrbica
                                                  > prior
                                                  > to 1844?
                                                  > Thanks in advance.
                                                  > --- John Venham <jevenham@...> wrote:
                                                  > > Hello
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I am currently doing genealogical research in the
                                                  > > archives in Bytca, and later will be in Kosice.
                                                  > If
                                                  > > you have any requests, or want to check
                                                  > information
                                                  > > provided by the archivists, please let me know.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Thank You,
                                                  > >
                                                  > > John

                                                  Find a job, post your resume.
                                                  http://careers.yahoo.com
                                                • Milan Huba
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 6, 2001
                                                    If you happen to be in the area, you might as well stop and look around.
                                                    You might find something in Mikulas to be of interest. However, there are
                                                    many more interesting places to visit in Slovakia.