Opinions and Suggestions

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 1999
      Dear listmembers,

      We are currently at 58 members, not bad for only a week! Hopefully we
      will continue to grow steadily as word gets out that we exist.

      We are listed on John Fuller's site at
      http://users.aol.com/johnf14246/gen_mail.html which lists ALL genealogy
      lists on the internet. I have written to the coordinators of the
      Hungary, Austria , Czech and Slovak Republic pages of the WorldGenWeb to
      ask that they list us along with the other lists for their areas.

      The more places we are listed for people to find us the better. I know
      when I started searching in this area it was hard for me to find a list
      to suit my needs. So if you can help me get the word out, or list it on
      your pages (Greg, is there a place for mailing lists on the iarelative
      site?) it will help us all.

      Also, I am interested in knowing what YOU want this list to be. Other
      than the "genealogy only" and "be nice" rules, we really don't have a
      set format. We can deal with research both in the old country and the
      new.

      I am going to work on a Homepage for us, to go along with this list . My
      idea is to have some basic searching information , a place to answer
      basic questions, sort of like a FAQ page. To me, it seems that webpages
      and information for Slovak searching are few and far between, and many
      say the same things. Greg's pages are excellent (and I'm thrilled he's
      on here with us), but many pages are old, outdated or so confusing its
      hard to use them.

      It might be helpful if you all send in urls of those pages YOU think
      have been most helpful to you in your searching.

      On my SHAMROCK list twice a year we do a Surname Week, where everyone
      sends in only the surnames, locations and dates they are searching. Once
      we get more members, I hope later this summer (probably August) to do
      this on here. In the meantime I hope those of you will send yours in so
      we can "get to know" each other.

      Basically, I am asking for your opinions, suggestions, wants and needs.
      I don't want to do things just because I think its right, I want you to
      have a voice in things too.

      I look forward to reading your comments, and feel free to send them to
      the whole list unless you'd rather send them to me privately.

      Maura

      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching