Re: [S-R] Zajac/Vas Velka Racna

  • Milan Huba
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2001
      Ljubljana is in Slovenia, not Slovakia. In Slovak a duck is a kacica or
      kacka, not a racna. I think we have Slovenia and Slovakia confused.....
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 21, 2001
        Zajac means rabbit in Slovak. As a matter of fact, I have a Zajac family in
        my Slovak family tree. My Zajac family is from Liptovska Luzna, which is in
        central Slovakia, not Velka Racna which appears to be in Slovenia.

        Even though they lived in Slovenia, I suppose the family could still be
        Slovaks. Prior to 1918, this was all one country and people did miagrate
        from one area to another...
        > Ljubljana is in Slovenia, not Slovakia. In Slovak a duck is a kacica or
        > kacka, not a racna. I think we have Slovenia and Slovakia confused.....

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • John
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2001
          At 08:59 AM 10/21/01 -0500, you wrote:
          >Zajac means rabbit in Slovak. As a matter of fact, I have a Zajac family in
          >my Slovak family tree. My Zajac family is from Liptovska Luzna, which is in
          >central Slovakia, not Velka Racna which appears to be in Slovenia.
          >
          >Even though they lived in Slovenia, I suppose the family could still be
          >Slovaks. Prior to 1918, this was all one country and people did miagrate
          >from one area to another...

          We had a discussion on another list about this. I've always used zajac for
          rabbit but found that in Slovak a rabbit is called a kralik as well. When
          searching for hare in two different online dictionaries, only the term
          zajac came up. One of the members insisted that rabbits were kraliks and
          only hares were called zajac. If this is the case, then using the term
          zajac for rabbit would have to be considered "hare splitting".

          Actually Slovenia was part of Austria and Upper Hungary (Slovakia) was part
          of Hungary. I'm certain that some migration occurred but you would have to
          pass through all (north to south) of Hungary to get to Slovenia. As a
          result, I believe it would be limited.

          John
        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 21, 2001
            At 11:10 AM 10/21/01 -0600, you wrote:
            >Actually Slovenia was part of Austria and Upper Hungary (Slovakia) was part
            >of Hungary. I'm certain that some migration occurred but you would have to
            >pass through all (north to south) of Hungary to get to Slovenia. As a
            >result, I believe it would be limited.

            Oops. I was off on my mental map. Slovenia is southwest of Slovakia and
            the distance between Bratislava and the Slovenian border appears to be
            about 100 miles through Austria or Hungary.

            John
          • imisis@qwest.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 22, 2001
              Milan Huba wrote:

              > Ljubljana is in Slovenia, not Slovakia.

              > In Slovak a duck is a kacica or
              > kacka, not a racna. I think we have Slovenia and Slovakia confused.....

              You are correct Milan: Ljubljana is in Slovenia. I sent this information in
              reply to a topic of 2 surnames......I thought it may apply or be of interest.
              The information was written by a woman (now deceased) that was from Velka
              Racna....in slovenia.
              I apologize for any confusion this has caused.

              MaryAlice