Csargo ? and Poruban? Place Names

  • AFe9963285@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 18, 2001
      Hi,

      I have located an individual in the 1869 census of Henczocz (Hencovce),
      Zemplen whose birthplace is listed as what appears to be Csargo, Zemplen.
      This would be the Hungarian version of the place. Does anyone know what the
      Slovakian version would be? The handwriting is not too clear and the "r"
      could be "k" or "t". However, the place clearly ends with "go" and the first
      letter is "c". The second letter "s" could be a "z"

      Similiarly, another individual was recorded with a birthplace that looks like
      Poruban. What is the Slovak version? Again, the handwriting makes it
      difficult to say for sure the spelling I have is the correct interpretaion.
      However, I am pretty sure of the "P, o, u,b, and a" The "r" could be a 'k' or
      "t" while the ending "n" could conceivably be a "cz".

      Finally, thanks to all who offered their opinion in response to my Two
      Surnames question several days ago. Once I have finished looking at the
      pertinent part of the church registers, I'll let the group know what I think
      was going on.

      Adrian Fenton
      Wexford, PA

    • John
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 18, 2001
        At 10:41 PM 10/18/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >I have located an individual in the 1869 census of Henczocz (Hencovce),
        >Zemplen whose birthplace is listed as what appears to be Csargo, Zemplen.
        >This would be the Hungarian version of the place. Does anyone know what the
        >Slovakian version would be? The handwriting is not too clear and the "r"
        >could be "k" or "t". However, the place clearly ends with "go" and the first
        >letter is "c". The second letter "s" could be a "z"

        There is a C^aklov in Zemplin and Csarno in S^aris^ counties

        >Similiarly, another individual was recorded with a birthplace that looks like
        >Poruban. What is the Slovak version? Again, the handwriting makes it
        >difficult to say for sure the spelling I have is the correct interpretaion.
        >However, I am pretty sure of the "P, o, u,b, and a" The "r" could be a 'k' or
        >"t" while the ending "n" could conceivably be a "cz".

        There is a Porubka in Zemplin, Uz^horod, S^aris^,and Trencin. Can you scan
        it and upload to the Slovak-Roots file area?

        John