Scope of this list

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 1999
      Fellow listmembers,

      SLOVAK-ROOTS is a -genealogy only- list. While that will at times
      address some traditions, this list was created to give those of us
      searching Slovak ancestors a place to research away from recipes, tales
      and other off topic posts to genealogy.

      This is a fine line I know, but this list is a -genealogy only- list,
      and if we start to get off topic we will get far away from that. Most of
      us are here because other Slovak lists have become too "off topic" to
      genealogy, and that is why this list was created.

      Please consider responding privately to those who do ask a question
      about traditions etc, (you will have to click on their name as onelist
      lists are automatically set up to respond to the list, and I can't
      change that). If you have a url of a site that would benefit many people
      feel free to share it.

      I hope you can understand this point of view, and the scope of this
      list. If you are interested there are other "non-genealogy" or
      "genealogy and other topics" lists for this area of research, you can
      find a list of all genealogy mailing lists at
      http://users.aol.com/johnf14246/gen_mail.html

      Thank you for your cooperation in this. I think we all contribute to
      this list, and want to see it remain a source for genealogy information
      for this area of research.

      Maura
      Listowner SLOVAK-ROOTS

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • jim sagat
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 28, 1999
        How strange that you follow your keep it on track message with two
        commercials! Especially the one for phone service, at least the Slovak
        recipes are more in tune with this list than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        Jim

        Maura Petzolt wrote:

        > From: sabinov@... (Maura Petzolt)
        >
        > Fellow listmembers,
        >
        > SLOVAK-ROOTS is a -genealogy only- list. While that will at times
        > address some traditions, this list was created to give those of us
        > searching Slovak ancestors a place to research away from recipes, tales
        > and other off topic posts to genealogy.
        >
        > This is a fine line I know, but this list is a -genealogy only- list,
        > and if we start to get off topic we will get far away from that. Most of
        > us are here because other Slovak lists have become too "off topic" to
        > genealogy, and that is why this list was created.
        >
        > Please consider responding privately to those who do ask a question
        > about traditions etc, (you will have to click on their name as onelist
        > lists are automatically set up to respond to the list, and I can't
        > change that). If you have a url of a site that would benefit many people
        > feel free to share it.
        >
        > I hope you can understand this point of view, and the scope of this
        > list. If you are interested there are other "non-genealogy" or
        > "genealogy and other topics" lists for this area of research, you can
        > find a list of all genealogy mailing lists at
        > http://users.aol.com/johnf14246/gen_mail.html
        >
        > Thank you for your cooperation in this. I think we all contribute to
        > this list, and want to see it remain a source for genealogy information
        > for this area of research.
        >
        > Maura
        > Listowner SLOVAK-ROOTS
        >
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        > sabinov@...
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 28, 1999
          At 05:36 PM 9/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
          >From: jim sagat <sawdust4@...>
          >
          >How strange that you follow your keep it on track message with two
          >commercials! Especially the one for phone service, at least the Slovak
          >recipes are more in tune with this list than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          Am I missing something? The only thing at the end of Maura's post--as it
          came through to me--was a ONElist sponsor "commercial", and I think that's
          something we have to put up with at the end of every message (small price
          to pay for the convenience of using ONElist, IMHO).

          Do the messages come through differently for others?

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
        • Joyce Bracken
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 28, 1999
            Julie,
            You are absolutely right. This list is for genealogists only and that's
            why most of us are on it.

            Joyce

            > From: "J. Michutka" <jmm@...>
            >
            > At 05:36 PM 9/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
            > >From: jim sagat <sawdust4@...>
            > >
            > >How strange that you follow your keep it on track message with two
            > >commercials! Especially the one for phone service, at least the Slovak
            > >recipes are more in tune with this list than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            >
            > Am I missing something? The only thing at the end of Maura's post--as it
            > came through to me--was a ONElist sponsor "commercial", and I think that's
            > something we have to put up with at the end of every message (small price
            > to pay for the convenience of using ONElist, IMHO).
            >
            > Do the messages come through differently for others?
            >
            > Julie Michutka
            > jmm@...

          • mkz
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 29, 1999
              I apologize to the list. I did not realize that a tradition question had
              nothing to do with genealogy.
              Katherine

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 29, 1999
                Jim, (and all)

                First, if you're not happy with the rules of this list, feel free to
                find another more to your liking. You can unsubscribe by going to
                http://www.onelist.com , then sign in and unsub.

                If you'd read through the information on the Onelist site, you'd see
                that ALL onelist lists have "commercial tags" at the bottom of each
                message. It's how they allow us to have these lists for free. And for
                your further information, even Rootsweb is now going to commercial
                taglines on nearly all its lists, unless the listowner -pays- for the
                privilege of not having them.

                This list was created to give those of us searching in the Slovak
                Republics/Hungary area a place/list to use without constant threads on
                chicken soup and home remedies that often pop up on certain other Slovak
                lists. Traditions -can- be a part of a genealogy search, but unless the
                question directly relates to genealogy (for example a Saints Name Day or
                naming patterns or some historical event) then its off topic and not to
                be posted to this list.
                This is clearly spelled out in the Welcome Message you recieve when you
                join this list, so no one can say they didn't know about it.

                Again, if you're not happy with that, you may be happier on another list
                where people don't mind wading through the off topic posts to find
                something related to genealogy.

                I now consider this the end of this discussion. If you care to respond,
                please do so to me privately, not to the list.

                Maura Petzolt
                Listowner SLOVAK-ROOTS

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 29, 1999
                  Maura,

                  Good for you! I love this list just as it is.

                  Joyce