Re: [S-R] Use of 2 Surnames?

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2001
      I have seen this type of thing in my own family. There it indicated a
      process of surname adoption from a female ancestor. This occurred in some
      cases when a woman inherited property and it was passed down to her
      descendants.

      Another possibility is that the man in question was adopted, or his mother
      remarried, or some such thing. I would research his own family tree and see
      what you find in the previous generation or two. In my family, it was the
      grandchildren and later descendants who adopted their grandmother's surname.

      I have also seen cases where a man married a widow and adopted the surname
      of her first husband.

      I have not done a great deal of research on this question of surname
      adoption, but believe that it may be an outcome of the peasant system,
      officially abolished in 1848 but lingering on in local customs. Under the
      peasant system, a family did not own property outright, but had a sort of
      title to the use of land based on custom and status. If it was the Vangor
      farm, for example, and a daughter inherited part of the rights to it, then
      her husband's children would take the Vangor surname if they were living
      there and working the property.

      Keep track of the house numbers in the villages where your people lived --
      these were usually recorded in church documents in the latter part of the
      19th century. It may explain some of these mysteries to know who was living
      where.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2001
        The explanation given by Adrian is consistent with what I have learned with
        a slight twist. Villages were subdivided into smaller areas called "dvors".
        Each dvor consisted of a small cluster of houses usually sharing a common
        courtyard. The houses within the dvors were usually inhabited by families
        who were closely related to each other such as siblings or cousins. The
        dvors, over a period of time acquired a name, my guess it was the surname of
        the family that built the first house in the dvor.

        Thus, in Liptovska Luzna where my father was born, there were probably 50 or
        more dvors, there was, for example, a Banas dvor, a Valusiak dvor, a Zajac
        dvor, a Huba dvor etc. One of my father's materal great-parents was born
        Jozef Zajac. When Jozef became an adult, for whatever reason, he built a
        house on an empty spot that was available in the Banas dvor. First he was
        identified as Jozef Zajac from the Banas dvor. Later Zajac was dropped and
        he became known as Jozef Banas. His first (older) children were baptised as
        Zajac, his later children and all of his grandchildren were baptised as
        Banas. On my grandmother's baptismal certificate her father was named as
        Jozef Zajac-Banas. When she married 17 years later, her name was recorded
        as Anna Banas. with no mention of the Zajac surname, even though her father
        was born a Zajac.

        Thus, the family eventually acquired the surname which was identified with
        the area (dvor) in which they lived. This would be consistent with Adrian's
        explanation of the family adopting the name of the property that the family
        aquired although the property was not necessarily always property inherited
        from a female ancestor. The property could have been acquired by other
        means... although my guess was that Adrian's explanation of inheritance from
        a female ancestor was a very common explantion.

        Milan Huba

        > I have seen this type of thing in my own family. There it indicated a
        > process of surname adoption from a female ancestor. This occurred in some
        > cases when a woman inherited property and it was passed down to her
        > descendants.
        >
        > Another possibility is that the man in question was adopted, or his mother
        > remarried, or some such thing. I would research his own family tree and
        see
        > what you find in the previous generation or two. In my family, it was the
        > grandchildren and later descendants who adopted their grandmother's
        surname.

        > I have also seen cases where a man married a widow and adopted the surname
        > of her first husband.
        >
        > I have not done a great deal of research on this question of surname
        > adoption, but believe that it may be an outcome of the peasant system,
        > officially abolished in 1848 but lingering on in local customs. Under the
        > peasant system, a family did not own property outright, but had a sort of
        > title to the use of land based on custom and status. If it was the Vangor
        > farm, for example, and a daughter inherited part of the rights to it, then
        > her husband's children would take the Vangor surname if they were living
        > there and working the property.
        >
        > Keep track of the house numbers in the villages where your people lived --
        > these were usually recorded in church documents in the latter part of the
        > 19th century. It may explain some of these mysteries to know who was
        living
        > where.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Daniel Kisha
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2001
          My information came from a elder (80+) in the village of Zelexnik, Slovakia

          Did you ever stop to think that both our explanations are possible reasons
          for the middle name.

          Dan Kisha
          > The explanation given by Adrian is consistent with what I have learned
          with
          > a slight twist. Villages were subdivided into smaller areas called
          "dvors".
          > Each dvor consisted of a small cluster of houses usually sharing a common
          > courtyard. The houses within the dvors were usually inhabited by families
          > who were closely related to each other such as siblings or cousins. The
          > dvors, over a period of time acquired a name, my guess it was the surname
          of
          > the family that built the first house in the dvor.
          >
          > Thus, in Liptovska Luzna where my father was born, there were probably 50
          or
          > more dvors, there was, for example, a Banas dvor, a Valusiak dvor, a
          Zajac
          > dvor, a Huba dvor etc. One of my father's materal great-parents was born
          > Jozef Zajac. When Jozef became an adult, for whatever reason, he built a
          > house on an empty spot that was available in the Banas dvor. First he was
          > identified as Jozef Zajac from the Banas dvor. Later Zajac was dropped
          and
          > he became known as Jozef Banas. His first (older) children were baptised
          as
          > Zajac, his later children and all of his grandchildren were baptised as
          > Banas. On my grandmother's baptismal certificate her father was named as
          > Jozef Zajac-Banas. When she married 17 years later, her name was recorded
          > as Anna Banas. with no mention of the Zajac surname, even though her
          father
          > was born a Zajac.
          >
          > Thus, the family eventually acquired the surname which was identified with
          > the area (dvor) in which they lived. This would be consistent with
          Adrian's
          > explanation of the family adopting the name of the property that the
          family
          > aquired although the property was not necessarily always property
          inherited
          > from a female ancestor. The property could have been acquired by other
          > means... although my guess was that Adrian's explanation of inheritance
          from
          > a female ancestor was a very common explantion.
          >
          > Milan Huba

        • Milan Huba
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 15, 2001
            Yes, of course, and I am sure that there may have been other reasons. In
            the small villages, half the villagers were at one time related to one
            another. Many of the surnames and given names were the same. People had to
            use other methods or names to differentiate between two or three peoples who
            happened to have the same name. Your explanation also seems to work..