Use of 2 Surnames?

  • AFe9963285@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2001
      I have the following situation: all events recorded in R.C. registers of
      Vranov Nad Top'lou. The people involved lived in Hencovce (Henczocz).
      Capitalization of names is mine - not in registers. What is the significance
      of PALENCSIK?

      On 21 November, 1866 Michael TOMASOV aged 35 widower married Anna SIMKO
      aged 18 single person

      On 31 August, 1869 a son John was bapt. Parents are recorded as Mich. TOMASOV
      and Anna SIMKO

      On 29 October, 1871 a son Michael was bapt. Parents are recorded as Michael
      TOMASOV and Anna SIMKO

      On 1 January, 1874 a daughter Maria was bapt. Parents are recorded as Michael
      PALENSIK TOMAS and Anna SIMKO

      On 26 June, 1882 a son John was bapt. Parents are recorded as TOMAS PALENCSIK
      Mihaly and SIMKO Anna

      On 4 June, 1885 a daughter Helen was bapt. Parents are recorded as TOMAS
      PALENCSIK Mihaly and SIMKO Anna

      On 15 September, 1885 the daughter Helen was buried. Parents are recorded as
      TOMAS PALENCSIK Mihaly and SIMKO Anna.

      On 21 April, 1886 the wife Anna SIMKO was buried, aged 39. Her husbamd is
      recorded as TOMAS PALENCSIK Mihaly.

      I do need to re-check the registers for additional events, but back to my
      original question. Is PALENCSIK being used to differentiate villagers of the
      same first and last name, a mother's maiden name? Perhaps something connected
      with the switch to using Hungarian to keep the registers. Adding additional
      info., there are at least two other TOMAS males appearing in the registers in
      the 1870's with either a "middle" name PALENCSIK or the note TOMASOV alias
      PALENTSIK.

      Apologies for being long winded, but any thoughts or suggestions would be
      most appreciated.

      Adrian Fenton
      Wexford, PA