Re: Christmas Eve Supper

  • JArcher360@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27 6:41 PM
      My grand mother made something called "o-pe-kan-seh" (phonetic spelling). It
      was little balls of bread dough which were baked, then put into some sort of
      cheese sauce with onions and butter in it. She also made some sort of
      mushroom soup. And of course, there was always the Oblatki and honey.
    • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27 7:15 PM
        In a message dated 09/27/1999 9:41:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        JArcher360@... writes:

        > Subj: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Christmas Eve Supper
        > Date: 09/27/1999 9:41:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time
        > From: JArcher360@...
        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com
        >
        > From: JArcher360@...
        >
        > My grand mother made something called "o-pe-kan-seh" (phonetic spelling).
        > It
        > was little balls of bread dough which were baked, then put into some sort
        of

        > cheese sauce with onions and butter in it. She also made some sort of
        > mushroom soup. And of course, there was always the Oblatki and honey.

        check out http://www.iarelative.com/recipe
      • Sandy Niemi
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27 10:10 PM
          Hi Katherine,

          The following comes directly from a Slovak cook book I have:

          Christmas Eve the entire family gathered at the home of parents or
          grandparents and at the first sight of the evening star everyone would begin
          a delicious meal. Dishes were served in a strict order that the mother
          decreed. After the father or grandfather recited a lengthy prayer, the
          mother would direct the dipping of communion wafers (oplatky) in honey,
          which symbolized the "food of the gods." Served next would be KAPUSTA
          (sauerkraut) or Hriby (mushroom) soup, fried fish or KLOBASA, bean and
          potato salads and BOBALKY (small buns in ground poppyseed) or dates and figs
          (which were a reminder of the Holy Land). Mulled wine accompanied this meal
          as did assorted poppyseed and nut pastries and a variety of fresh and mixed
          dried fruits and mixed nuts.

          As I remember, my grandmother used to have 12 meatless dishes on Christmas
          Eve. I can't remember them all but some were the: Oplatky - communion wafers
          (blessed by the priest) in honey, next was the Kapusta (sauerkraut) or Hriby
          (mushroom) soup, PEROGIES (potato, prune, and saurerkraut), Fried Fish,
          beans made with fresh garlic, Bobalky - small buns in ground poppyseed (or
          sauerkraut,or cheese mashed potatoes & onions). She also had assorted
          poppyseed rolls, pastries, strudels, and poteca. I wish I could remember the
          other courses.

          Christmas Eve was so special - I recall the stories of her cleaning out one
          entire room and filling it with straw and a large manger scene. They would
          hide candy and nuts in the hay for the grandchildren to find. I remember
          being frightened as my older siblings and cousins trampled right over us
          younger ones. I also remember lining up to get the communion wafer (blessed
          by the priest) and honey and my grandmother would make the sign of the
          cross on our foreheads with ashes from the stove. (Must have been to ward
          away evil spirits). In later years when we didn't have the ashes we used
          honey to make the cross on the forehead.

          To this day we have carried on some of the traditional foods, the honey &
          and everyone washes their face in a bowl of water filled with coins. I think
          that is suppose to make us wealthy through the year. Of course the children
          get to keep the money they pick up in their hands.

          I would also be interested in the other customs people remember about
          Christmas Eve.

          Hope this helps,
          Sandy
          sniemi@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28 2:54 PM
            Hi Sandy,
            Thank you so much for the wonderful tradition and story and yes it does help.
            Were there any prayers or songs that you remember in Slovak? We are trying to
            put a short play together before the the meal is eaten. It's late for this year
            so maybe next for the whole thing.
            Thanks again,
            Katherine

          • mkz
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 28 3:07 PM
              Hi,
              Thanks for the information. I can almost taste those balls of bread with the
              cheese sauce and onions.
              Katherine